5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2015 2:22 PM by Szalam

Nvidia K5200...Is it really working?

Geis

How can I tell if After Effects is using the Nvidia K5200 card I have installed.  It is recognized in the preferences but don't seem to get any help when rendering out a quicktime movie that contains a C4D Lite file and a small video file.

• 1. Re: Nvidia K5200...Is it really working?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After Effects doesn't use the GPU to render that sort of thing. It really only uses it for one task (acceleration of the ray-traced renderer) and the ray-traced renderer is being phased out in favor of more powerful 3d options (like Cinema 4D).

Details here: GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects

• 2. Re: Nvidia K5200...Is it really working?
            Geis Level 1

Thanks for Getting back to me....It is becoming quite evident that I have totally misunderstood how this GPU really

will not help me in After Effects.   I am trying hard to use C4D Lite and the After Effects bundle....thought it was a good idea.

I basically have an 18 sec video clip with a C4D lite file and a video file composite...it is taking around three hours to render...

do you have any suggestions for getting this done in a more timely manner.

My PC specs are:

Xeon E5-2680 v3 (12 core / 24 threads)

16 GBs DDR4 RAM

k5200 SLI (2)

500 GBs SSD

• 3. Re: Nvidia K5200...Is it really working?

An 18 second video could easily take days to render or it could take minutes, it all depends on what is in your scene and, to a lesser extent, how you've configured your machine. I mean, if it's a cube with a plain, non-reflective material, and no lights, shadows, or depth of field, it's going to render a lot faster than a scene with tons of objects with blurry reflections, ambient occlusion, several lights with area shadows, rendering with motion blur and depth of field.

• 4. Re: Nvidia K5200...Is it really working?
                Geis Level 1

Thanks for the chat....I am convinced that this process of C4D rendering in After Effects is not

going to ever be a fast video solution.

• 5. Re: Nvidia K5200...Is it really working?

Yes; 3d takes a long time to render (especially if you don't have the experience to know how to tweak things). I'm still learning too! If you want a really fast-rendering 3d solution, ShapeShifter, Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator, and Element3D are all excellent third-party plugin options.