16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 5:42 AM by rob day

How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?

undeadredhead

Hi there,

I need to print a large amount of booklets, which have a colour cover but are grayscale on the inside. However, I am having trouble setting up my document to successfully do this and I am unsure if it is something I can change in InDesign or if it is something I should figure out with my printer driver?

We used Page Plus for these booklets in the past and were able to do this with the same printer, so that makes me think there might be setting I could change in InDesign to achieve the same result.

It integral that the printer knows that the inside pages of the booklet are black and white, as we get charged per copy for colour printing and it is vastly increasing our printing costs.

My coworker believed that exporting the file as a PDF with the options: Colour Conversions (convert to destination - Pressure Numbers), Destination (sRGB IEC61966-2.1), and Profile Inclusion Policy (Don't Include Profiles) is making a difference. However, I don't believe is is the case.

If anyone had another suggestion that I could try, that'd be great!!

• 1. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?
          Migintosh Level 4

Are you sending PDF or native InDesign? Most workflows these days use PDF, so if you have been asked for native ID, you should ask why.

That said, if you are exporting as PDF to send, open the PDF in Acrobat and go to Advanced>Print Production>Output Preview. Here's a mockup I did to explain. It has some black text and a CMYK photo:

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 1.05.42 AM.png

If you uncheck the Process Black channel, you will see everything that doesn't contain black. Since you only want a black channel, everything should be hidden in your book on pages other than the color pages. In this case, you will see the C, M and Y channels of the photo, but since you won't have any photos, it's just for the purpose of discussion. Here's the page with the black off:

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 1.05.51 AM.png

You can see that I have purposely made two mistakes, since all of the text was supposed to be black. You will notice that I have a spot color called New Color Swatch. If you turn it off, anything using that color will hide as well. You will want to do this to identify what is in the spot color so that you can fix it in InDesign before exporting a new PDF. Here's with the spot channel off:

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 1.06.06 AM.png

So, one word is hidden, which is the spot color, but one remains. If you zoom in and hold the mouse over the type, you will see what the color breakdown is:

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 1.07.11 AM.png

In this case, the type is set to Registration color, which you also don't want, but you wouldn't necessarily see it just by looking at the page. You will want to fix this in InDesign as well.

So I recommend you open your PDF, turn off the black channel and go through each page to see if anything is left unhidden. If so, fix it in InDesign, export again and do the check the same way. That should give you confidence that your PDF is OK, but you should talk to the print provider and ask what their policies are before they output to check for things that will cause needless cost to you.

• 2. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Converting to an RGB destination is going to convert your Black text to 4-color....

• 3. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Export your cover to CMYK

Export your text as Grayscale

Then combine  your PDFs in Acrobat

• 4. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As long as there are no automatic printer's marks being used (which are always colored with Registration and generate 4 plates), it should not be necessary to do more than export to a CMYK profile with colors preserved. Most current printers can tell the difference between pages with color and pages with only black.

• 5. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes and most would only output the black plate for the inside pages, digital or litho - it's easily done on their end.

• 6. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?
                    Migintosh Level 4

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Yes and most would only output the black plate for the inside pages, digital or litho - it's easily done on their end.

I agree, but I'd still view in Acrobat with the black channel off in case there was a 4-color black. If you had something like 60-60-60-80 and only output the black plate, you would get an 80% black, which might look very similar on screen to 100% black, but would stand out if only the black channel was output.

• 7. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Eugene – do you have details for "Export as Grayscale"?

I tried with the following details:

Target-Profile: Dot Gain 15%

Convert to Target Profile

Include Target Profile

If I do it this way I get:

Target Profile not included

Wrong numbers for my colors

(I tested with a self-made color wedge on the page for the percentages of Black shown below)

Seen in Acrobat Pro 10 with proof simulation "Dot Gain 15%":

100 % Black => 100 %

80 % Black => 82 %

60 % Black => 63 %

40 % Black => 43 %

20 % Black => 22 %

I could convert to "Dot Gain 15%" in Acrobat Pro's Preflight Panel, but this would show the same wrong percentages (just tested).

What I can do, however, is printing to PostScript with color separations, only color channel Black.

That would work, if I chose a Distiller setting, that will not change the color, to convert my separated PostScript file to PDF.

Seen in Acrobat Pro 10* with proof simulation "Dot Gain 15%" or any of the other available gray scale profiles.

(Acrobat Pro 11 might get this wrong due to a bug)

100 % Black => 100 %

80 % Black => 80 %

60 % Black => 60 %

40 % Black => 40 %

20 % Black => 20 %

This separated PDF (channel Black only) can now be converted with a self-made correction* in Acrobat Pro's Preflight Panel to a gray scale PDF/X-1a.

If done right * the color values stay as defined in inDesign.

Output in my case:
                      PDF/X-1a

OI: GrayScale profile Black ink of ISO Coated v2 300%

Tested with:

InDesign CC 2014.2

Distiller X

Acrobat Pro X

Mac OSX 10.7.5

Uwe

* There are several, convoluted steps necessary to get this (hope, I can remember them all):

Not optional:

Have a grayscale profile representing the channel Black of your intended output CMYK or generate one!

In my case the base CMYK profile was: ISO Coated v2 300%.

And I got a "Black Ink of ISO Coated v2 300%" profile for Grayscale conversions by generating this with my PhotoShop app.

Maybe optional, but helpful:

Change the color settings of Acrobat Pro X to use the color settings file you generated in PhotoShop where:
                      Grayscale is defined as the black channel of ISO Coated v2 300%: "Black Ink of ISO Coated v2 300%"

Mandatory, but somehow tricky:

Then on to the Preflight Panel of Acrobat Pro to generate a custom preflight profile.

None of the ordinary ones will fit exactly (at least in my Acrobat Pro X).

1. Make a duplicate of an already stored Preflight profile that converts color to Gray. Name it appropriately.

2. Include a single correction for converting to Gray Scale (at this time, or if you do something like that the first time, it's not possible to change or duplicate that single correction)

3. Save your new profile. Close the profile.

4. Open the profile again.

5. Now, suddenly it's possible to duplicate that single correction (converting to Gray Scale).

Do some changes, appropriate correction options, eg. adding "Black Ink of ISO Coated v2 300%" as OI to the PDFs you will convert.

4. Use that duplicate single correction in your new Preflight profile.

5. Save your custom preflight profile.

• 8. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?

Here a screenshot from Acrobat Pro, immediately after opening the converted PDF as seen from the Preview Panel.

The tip of my cursor is in the 40% Black field at the top of the page:

ScreenShotFromAcrobatProX.png

Uwe

• 9. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?
                          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

There are endless DIFFERENT ways that printers decide whether something is black and white (for charging purposes). These could include:

* check raw CMYK data has zero for C,M,Y, and consider RGB is colour

* check converted data (to output profile) has zero for C,M,Y

* rasterise and look at C,M,Y plates, check all is zero

These can be contradictory. It takes experiment and persistence to find out exactly what will work.

• 10. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?
                            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Test Screen Name wrote:

There are endless DIFFERENT ways that printers decide whether something is black and white (for charging purposes). These could include:

* check raw CMYK data has zero for C,M,Y, and consider RGB is colour

* check converted data (to output profile) has zero for C,M,Y

* rasterise and look at C,M,Y plates, check all is zero

These can be contradictory.

This is true. If the OP's output is subject to click-charge-per-interpretation, instructions for fairly affecting the interpretation must come from the printer's maker and/or the entity collecting the click-charge. The rest of this is only guesswork.

• 11. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?
                              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Wrong numbers for my colors

Uwe, If you want a linear conversion of CMYK black values to gray values, set the document's assigned CMYK profile to Photoshop 5 Default, and set the destination to 20% Dot Gain. The legacy Photoshop default's black channel also uses a 20% dot gain curve and there will be no value change on the conversion.

• 12. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?
                                DubockDesign

Hi There,

I've tried to export my .pdf as you suggested and it is definitely set up correctly. The inside pages are showing as all black, and the outer cover has some colour CMYK images. I also checked in InDesign's Separation Preview before exporting, and even then all inside pages were correct. However, still my printer is charging us for full colour of each page, even when the files are exported to CMYK preserved colors PDF.

Any other suggestions on what I can do to fix this problem?

• 13. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?
                                  DubockDesign Level 1

I'm not sure what CMYK data you mean. Where would I find the option to check these things?

• 14. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?
                                    Migintosh Level 4

dubockdesign wrote:

…even then all inside pages were correct. However, still my printer is charging us for full colour of each page…

Can you upload a page that the printer says is 4-color to a file-sharing site like Dropbox and paste a link to the file here on the forum? I'm sure several of the users who have commented would like to have a look to see what the printer is talking about.

• 15. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?

@dubockdesign – I think, with preparing PDF files for printing inhouse (eg. a lend Xerox printing machine or copier) where CMYK/RGB and Grayscale prints are different in price per sheet, your only chance will be:

1. A separated PDF showing only the Black channel. Printed to PostScript (Black channel only) and then distilled to PDF.

2. Or you manage a conversion process in Acrobat Pro from CMYK to Grayscale showing only channel Black in the Separation Preview Panel of Acrobat Pro.

If your file will printed in a printing company, you first have to talk to the printers, if you provide a CMYK PDF where only the Black channel is populated with contents.

Uwe

• 16. Re: How do I print a booklet with a colour cover but with black and white inside pages?
                                        rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

However, still my printer is charging us for full colour of each page, even when the files are exported to CMYK preserved colors PDF.

Where would I find the option to check these things?

In AcrobatPro you can use Output Preview>Object Inspector to view the color properties of an object when you click on it, you can't rely on Acrobat's Separations because the Separations numbers are showing the conversion to a chosen Simulation Profile which may or may not be the final output profile.

So I can export this page with a box filled with 50% black:

object.png

With the destination profile in the Export Output tab set to a gray profile 20% Dot Gain, Acrobat's Object Inspector shows that the fill is DeviceGray 50%:

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 8.13.01 AM.png

Or if I export using the PDF/X-1a preset Object Inspector shows the fill as DeviceCMYK 0|0|0|50

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 8.15.36 AM.png

If an object is DeviceGray or DeviceCMYK its color space or numbers won't change on output without some kind of intervention by the printer. If an object's ColorSpace is profiled it will show as ICCBased CMYK and may be converted at output if the printer uses a conflicting output profile.