6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2015 2:15 PM by A.T. Romano

Transitions

freethedata Level 1

I have some questions about Transitions in PE12: 1.  I cannot find any way to delete or change a transition effect once added to a clip.  How to do this? 2.  What is the difference between the cross dissolve transition, and right -clicking on one clip to select fade out and the next clip to fade in? 3.  Why, after importing mixed still and video media, do not all clips have the default transition (cross-dissolve) automatically applied?  I do not see any consistent pattern, but it looks like the automatic application of the default transition ends after encountering a video file longer than about 30 secs.  The default transition then restarts in the next imported batch of images.

• 1. Re: Transitions
          A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

I cannot find any way to delete or change a transition effect once added to a clip How to do this?

Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Editor. Expert workspace. Double click the Timeline transition to bring up the Transition Adjustments pop up. If added options are needed in the Transition Adjustment pop up, click the More button there. Right click the Timeline transition, select and click on Delete.

What is the difference between the cross dissolve transition, and right -clicking on one clip to select fade out and the next clip to fade in?

One involves placement of a transition to make a gradual fade out on the end of the first clip and fade in of the beginning of the second involving  an overlapping of the end frames. And, there can be

all sorts of adjustment to make the transition work.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Video Transitions - Part 2 How They Work

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Applying transitions to clips

The other involves a keyframing of Opacity, fade out at the end of the first clip and fade in at the beginning of the second clip.

Why, after importing mixed still and video media, do not all clips have the default transition (cross-dissolve) automatically applied?

Where are you importing the stills and video --- into the Elements Organizer 12 and then the Slideshow Editor? You do not get automatic placement of transitions by importing stills and

videos into Premiere Elements Editor with its Add Media.

I do not see any consistent pattern, but it looks like the automatic application of the default transition ends after encountering a video file longer than about 30 secs.  The default transition then restarts in the next imported batch of images.

Still not clear on what you are pointing to - Elements Organizer 12 Slideshow Editor or Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace. Are you referring to select all/Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition with Cross Dissolve as the default video transition?

If so, if you do nothing but lining up stills  with video in a random order, you are likely to see the Cross Dissolve between all the pairs with the exception of

....in the pair of video clip and still...no Cross Dissolve at the end of the video and the beginning of the still....however, if you trim end of the video clip in the pair of video and still, then the Cross

Dissolve would be placed. In that example, the influence of trimmed vs untrimmed clips in the pair presents.

If you are referring to the Elements Organizer 12 Slideshow Editor, what transition did you select in the Slide Show Editor preferences before the Slide Show Editor itself opened?

Again, if Elements Organizer 12 Slideshow Editor, what transition did you change to in the filmstrip?

Please clarify.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Transitions
            freethedata Level 1

Re the deletion of transitions, I could not find a way to delete the transition in the Quick workspace; I see now that it can only be done in the Expert workspace.

Re automatic transition effects, what I do is start in Organizer, select the clips, click on Share, then click on Burn Video DVD/Blu-ray – since that is the only way one can add media from the Organizer to the Video Editor in Album Order!  The clips come into the Video Editor with the default transition automatically applied to each clip – until it first encounters a .MOV file (as opposed to a .MP4 file; I imported both types).  I see the end of the transition insertion has to do with file type, not file length, as first thought.  After that, there are no more transitions applied to any of the remaining clips, still or movie,  in that import batch.  Or so it seems.  he pattern repeats in the next import batch.  I guess that its just a quirk in the code that the automatic insertion of transitions terminates upon encountering a certain file type.  Or so it seems.

• 3. Re: Transitions
              A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

Regarding your conclusion

Re the deletion of transitions, I could not find a way to delete the transition in the Quick workspace; I see now that it can only be done in the Expert workspace.

Please reconsider and go back to the Quick workspace

Transitionsfreethe.JPG

In the following screenshot, I have three stills in the Quick workspace. I have a Between Clips aligned video transition

between still 1 and 2. I have also placed a Right Clip aligned video transition for the 2 and 3.

I have selected the Right Clip aligned transition with the mouse cursor. Then to delete that transition

a. Edit Menu/Delete

or

b. Just hit the Delete key of your computer keyboard.

what I do is start in Organizer, select the clips, click on Share, then click on Burn Video DVD/Blu-ray – since that is the only way one can add media from the Organizer to the Video Editor in Album Order!

Where are you seeing "Share/"Burn Video DVD/Blu-ray" in your Elements Organizer 12?

elor12.jpg

Please take a look at the merits of the Elements Organizer 12 Slideshow Editor, and use its Output option = Edit with Premiere Elements Editor so that you use a non wmv slideshow and you do not lose all the perks of the "Break Apartment Elements Organizer Slideshow" command once the Elements Organizer Slideshow is in the Premiere Elements Editor. The slideshow will go into Premiere Elements Editor with its content in order that you have in the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor filmstrip.

As for the rest of your workflow, I will look into the .mov versus .mp4 matter that you wrote about and other aspects of ordered content as seen in the Premiere Elements 12 Editor.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Transitions
                freethedata Level 1

Thanks for the clarification on deleting transitions; I was not clicking with the right touch before.

I don’t understand why you do not have “Burn Video DVD/Blu-ray” on your Share drop down list.  On my copy of Organizer 12 it is between YouTube and PDF Slide Show, with a DVD disc icon.  We previously made reference to it on Aug. 4, 2014, when we discussed how to import media into Elements workspace in Organizer album order.  If that option disappeared in Elements 12 updates or Elements 13, then does the other option of selecting the clips in the album, right-clicking on one of the clips, and selecting “Edit in Premier Elements Editor” still work?  Your suggestion about selecting the Output option = Edit with Premier Elements Editor from the Slideshow Editor will not work because I work with a mix of stills and video clips, and the slide show editor rejects video.  In my workflow, I do not now create .wmv files ( I export still and video clips directly from the Organizer to the Video Editor), but I used to, and they were mentioned in the thread on full size DVDs.

• 5. Re: Transitions
                  freethedata Level 1

And I forgot to ask, where is the “Break Apart Slideshow” command in the video editor?

• 6. Re: Transitions
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

Thanks for the reply.

Only when I output the Elements Organizer 12 Slideshow Editor's slideshow  with Output = Edit with Premiere Elements Editor will there be the Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow command after I right click the Elements Organizer 12 slideshow that is automatically placed on the Premiere Elements 12 Editor Timeline as a .psess video file.

I was very curious about your Elements Organizer 12 Share/"Burn Video DVD/Blu-ray" and none in my Elements Organizer 12/12.1 Share/.

Elements Organizer 12/12.1 Share on a Windows 7 64 bit computer. No "Burn Video DVD/Blu-ray" choice under Share.

So I went to Elements Organizer 12/12.1 on a Windows 8.1 64 bit computer. And, there was the "Burn Video DVD/Blu-ray" in its Elements Organizer 12/12.1...sandwiched

between YouTube and PDF Slide Show.

Then I went back to Elements Organizer 12/12.1 on Windows 7 64 bit.

a. Created a new catalog....no change...no "Burn Video DVD/Blu-ray" under the Elements Organizer 12/12.1 Share choices.

b. This is good part...then I decided to delete the Elements Organizer settings file (named psa.prf)....now there was the "Burn Video DVD/Blu-ray" under the

Elements Organizer 12/12.1 Share. Nothing else in this Elements Organizer or the program was affected by what caused the happening.

Thanks for asking about this. Very interesting outcome. Great job with your follow through with the issues.

Best wishes

ATR