0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2007 2:10 PM by Blake1024

Can flex be used in a procedural rather than descriptive way?

Blake1024
      My company is currently using Flash Studio 8 successfully. We'd like to upgrade to Studio 9 to get ActionScript 3 but God knows when that will happen. Anyway, so now we are looking at flex since it can produce stand-alone .SWF files. There may be other advantaged to flex too since it uses XML which plays nicer with a source code control systems.

I've used Laszlo before and it didn't work for us. Laszlo forces you to structure the control hierarchy to reflect your data hierarchy. This works very well in simple and regular cases but can be a nightmare in very complex data relationships with a lot of special cases. In effect, Flash Studio works like a procedural, third generation language. Laszlo work like a fourth generation language which is more descriptive than procedural.

Anyway, I called Adobe support and discussed this with one of their experts and he told me that Flex had constraints similar to Laszlo. In spite of this comment, I still started looking at Flex 2. After spending a day on it, it seems to me like he is wrong and I can do what I am trying to do with it.

So, here is my question. I'd like to use Flex to create flat (where all the controls are at the same level) (in effect) resource file, like I'd do in Studio 8. I'd then like to control the behavior of the screen with ActionScript code. So, I should be able to handle an arbitrarily complex data and user response scenario with a simple Flex (the GUI part) layout and supporting procedural, ActionScript 3 code in separate .as files. Am I correct?

Thanks for the help.

Blake McBride