8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2007 12:34 AM by lavapen

go to frame, play a few then load movie?

lavapen
      I am working on a continously playing banner that has 5 different movies. there is a navigation bar below with 5 buttons, one for each movie. There is also a puase/play button so you can stop the animation and resume it. What I cant figure out is how to actionscript the buttons. I need them to jump to a particular frame in the current movie, play a specific set of frames (the outro animation sequence), then load the appropriate movie.

on (release) {
      gotoAndPlay(series of frames???);
      loadMovie("movie2.swf", 1);
      }

Any suggestions? Thanks!
        • 1. Re: go to frame, play a few then load movie?
          you can use frame labels to navigate to certain spots on your timeline.

gotoAndPlay("framelable1");
          YOu can then use stop actions where you want the sequence to stop playing. just type: stop(); in the actions layer above the fame you wnat the animation to stop. or you can add the loadMovie here.

Any help?

button migt be;
          on(release){gotoAndPlay("framelabel1); //plays ten frames....then use stop() and loadMovie() here.
          • 2. go to frame, play a few then load movie?
            Sketchsta Level 1
            use this code to load external swf files into your main movie.
            attach this code to every frame where you want to load a swf..

this.createEmptyMovieClip("holder_mc", this.getNextHighestDepth());
            var holder_mcl:MovieClipLoader = new MovieClipLoader();

holder_mcl.loadClip("your_file.swf", holder_mc);

as for everything else, do what wwscope suggested.
            • 3. Re: go to frame, play a few then load movie?
              lavapen Level 1
              Thanks wwscoper and Sketchsta! I'll try it.

Sketchsta, where it says "your_file.swf" I assume that I type in my filename instead of your_file. How does this work? When you are just letting the animation play continously without using the navbar buttons at the bottom, it seems like I would use that code at the end of each movie to load the next one. But when someone wants to use the navbar buttons where it executes wwscoper's action (goes to a set of frames, plays them, stops, then loads the called for movie) how does that interact with your code?

Thanks!
              • 4. Re: go to frame, play a few then load movie?
                Sketchsta Level 1
                You can do on of the following..

for your buttons..

on(release){
                holder_mc.clear();
                gotoAndPlay("frame");
                }
                then on the frame have the loader code:

/*this is assuming you already have a emptyMovieClip called holder_mc
                if you don't, include....this.createEmptyMovieClip("holder_mc", this.getNextHighestDepth()); */

and from each swf you load, at the end of the animation, send the _root timeline to next frame to load next movie. and include:
                assuming you are loading from _root... _root.holder_mc.clear();

OR...

you can use this..
                Leave the buttons for navigating only, and each frame where you have a movie loading into, include the holder_mc.clear();

so your frame code should look like this:

holder_mc.clear();

with this method, from your loaded movies, all you have to do is send the _root playhead to the next loading frame.
                when it gets to the frame, it will clear holder_mc of anything inside it, and load the next movie..
                While your buttons just send the playhead to the corresponding frame, and the frame code does all the loading and clearing..

hope this explains well enough, and helps..
                • 5. Re: go to frame, play a few then load movie?
                  lavapen Level 1
                  I'm still having trouble grokking it...... Ok so I am watching the animation, Movie #1 ends and loads Movie #2 and I am on Movie #1 but I decide I want to jump to movie #4 (there are 5 movies altogether), I click on the button for Movie 4, it then jumps to the frames I labelled to play the outro, then loads Movie 4.

So in one scenario I can watch all 5 movies in sequence. At the end of each movie is the frame:
                  holder_mc.clear();

where "your_file.swf" is the next movie in the sequence e.g. movie2.swf at the end of movie1's timeline.

In the scenario I descfribed above where I want to skip Movie #3 and jump to movie #4, I use the button code:
                  on(release){
                  holder_mc.clear();
                  gotoAndPlay("movie2outro");
                  }

to play my outro, but if I am currently in movie #2, where loading movie3 is called to load at its end of that timeline, how can I load movie #4 in a frame in the same timeline?

You can see something similar on the home page for Micron http://www.micron.com. The big difference is that my "slide show" plays continuosly (will autonmatically go to the next "slide") whereas you have to choose a link on the bottom on the the micron.com one to go to another slide.

Thanks so much for your help!
                  • 6. Re: go to frame, play a few then load movie?
                    Sketchsta Level 1
                    I made a quick demo of what i was trying to explain... hope this explains better..

demo HERE

FLA HERE
                    • 7. Re: go to frame, play a few then load movie?
                      lavapen Level 1
                      wow! thanks! I'll try it!
                      • 8. Re: go to frame, play a few then load movie?
                        lavapen Level 1
                        In your example, what if when I click on Movie 2 to jump to it, the current movie fades out before it loads to Movie 2 instead of just starting Movie 2 right away. Is there an Actionscript for fading a movieclip to white?

That fade is the series of frames I had refered to in very first post .... it jumps to the end series of frames that fade everything out, then oads the next movie.

Thanks!