9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2015 11:40 AM by trshaner

I have a client that wants hi-res 30mb j-peg file. How do I go about this from Lightroom 5 ?

Pygler

I have a client that wants hi-res 30mb j-peg file. How do I go about this from Lightroom 5 ?

• 1. Re: I have a client that wants hi-res 30mb j-peg file. How do I go about this from Lightroom 5 ?
          dj_paige Level 9

If it was me, I would first ask if he meant 30 megapixels (instead of 30 megabytes).

If he really meant 30 megabytes, I would tell the client that's absurd, you couldn't possibly need a 30mb jpeg. Probably, the client has a major misunderstanding about image size versus file size (which is not uncommon).

But you probably don't want to say that with your clients. You might tell the client that enlarging like this probably REDUCES the quality of the image slightly.

How to get a 30 megabytes JPG? Trial and error. When you export, set the quality slider to 100, and enlarge the photo by clicking "Resize to Fit" and type in some pixel size (width and height) that is larger than the original. Continue this process typing in larger and larger pixel sizes (trial and error) until you get 30 megabytes. Or you could just tell the client this is absurd.

• 2. Re: I have a client that wants hi-res 30mb j-peg file. How do I go about this from Lightroom 5 ?
            Bob Somrak Level 5

You can do something like this in the export dialog and keep changing the MEGAPIXELS number until you get 30mb file size.  Unfortunately, unless you are starting out with a REALLY BIG original photo than you are just trying to create pixels out of nothing.  If your client knew what they were talking about they would be asking for a megapixel size instead of a mb size. A big DITTO and DJ's absurd comment.

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 12.29.42 PM.png

• 3. Re: I have a client that wants hi-res 30mb j-peg file. How do I go about this from Lightroom 5 ?
              Lr5user-pt Level 2

They must be referring to the uncompressed size of the image, as shown in Photoshop lower left corner. Many clients, even stock agencies, use this value to refer to image dimensions because that's what they are used to. As each 8-bit per channel image pixel uses 3 bytes, a 30MB image is a little less than the output from a 10.5 megapixel camera, 10485760 pixels to be precise. (Photoshop uses k as 1024 bytes and M 1024 k, not 1000)

• 4. Re: I have a client that wants hi-res 30mb j-peg file. How do I go about this from Lightroom 5 ?
                Pygler Level 1

I queried the client a little more without trying to piss them off (they're paying after all), but I'm still confused. their answer was:

Yes, it’s just simply the JPG format that I’d like.

And, yes, I do work in Adobe Photoshop.

The purpose of requesting images in JPG format is that our Online Image Bank, only accepts them in this format.

The high res photos that we receive from photographers seem to be approximately 20 MB when compressed and then approximately 60 MB when opened in PhotoShop.  Does this make sense?

I tried a few things you guys suggested when exporting. I set file settings: quality to 100, image sizing: clicked the resize to fit button on, megapixels to 20.0, res to 300dpi. I got an image that was 5477x3651, 6.6mb on disk and 57.2m in Adobe Photoshop. Am I crazy thinking I'm never going to get what she wants?

• 5. Re: I have a client that wants hi-res 30mb j-peg file. How do I go about this from Lightroom 5 ?
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Pygler wrote:

I queried the client a little more without trying to piss them off (they're paying after all), but I'm still confused. their answer was:

The high res photos that we receive from photographers seem to be approximately 20 MB when compressed and then approximately 60 MB when opened in PhotoShop.  Does this make sense?

A JPEG file (i.e. 8 bit/color) that opens in PS as a 60 MB document is 60/3 = 20 megapixels. You will need a 20 megapixel or better camera to achieve what is being requested. Upscaling a lower resolution camera image (i.e. <20 megapixel camera) would produce inferior results.

• 6. Re: I have a client that wants hi-res 30mb j-peg file. How do I go about this from Lightroom 5 ?
                    Lr5user-pt Level 2

To get a 30MB uncompressed image, export from LR at 3966x2644 pixels (assuming your image is in the default 2x3 ratio). The file will be 30.00098MB when seem in Photoshop. I think this is what your client wants. The PPI setting is not relevant here, if the pixel dimensions of the image are the same, it always be a 30 MB image. The final compressed size of the JPEG will vary greatly, based on the quality setting and image content. A photo with big areas of the same tone will compress way more than another with lots of little details.

• 7. Re: I have a client that wants hi-res 30mb j-peg file. How do I go about this from Lightroom 5 ?

Pygler wrote:

Yes, it’s just simply the JPG format that I’d like.

The client is requesting a 60 MB uncompressed image file, which is approximately 20 MB compressed (i.e. JPEG file size).

Here's an example using a Canon 5D MKII raw image (21 megapixel) opened in PS with Image Mode changed to 8 bits/channel, same as JPEG:

The open document size inside PS is 60.2 megabytes.

Below is the original camera raw file, camera JPEG file with highest quality setting, Uncompressed 8 bit/color TIFF, and LR Export JPEG with 100 quality:

The LR JPEG Export with 100 Quality setting is 20.4 megabytes. These numbers are very close to what the client is describing and requesting. As LR5user-pt has described your JPEG file sizes may be less (or more) than the 20 MB compressed file size the client has requested. It is of no consequence and highly dependent on the picture content. For a good example compare the LR JPEG Export 100 Quality file sizes for the 'Sunset and Bird' (450 KB) and 'Reed Window Shades' (1450 KB) pictures here:

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Using a LR Export 100 Quality setting inflates the file size considerably, but insures the best possible results if the file is to be edited further by the client. It's still about 1/3 the size of an uncompressed TIFF format file and an efficient way to conserve disk storage space. It also speeds uploads and downloads when images must be stored and accessed via the Cloud:

Pygler wrote:

The purpose of requesting images in JPG format is that our Online Image Bank, only accepts them in this format.

• 8. Re: I have a client that wants hi-res 30mb j-peg file. How do I go about this from Lightroom 5 ?
                        Pygler Level 1

Thanks, very informative.

I guess my issue is mostly that my camera is a Canon EOS1D MarkIII 10.5 megapixel, so the best I'm going to get is 28.8m in Adobe Photoshop (which is what I'm getting now)? I have supplied images to this client before with this camera, without issue ( I gave them the DNG, TIFF & low-res J-peg ). I got confused when they requested a 30mb j-peg file, as I thought it was unattainable. My guess is the "other photographers" have newer 20 plus megapixel cameras. They have come back to me saying what I supplied before was good, so I'll go with that.

I have learned a lot from posing my dilemma, not being from digital age sucks at times!

• 9. Re: I have a client that wants hi-res 30mb j-peg file. How do I go about this from Lightroom 5 ?

Pygler wrote:

I guess my issue is mostly that my camera is a Canon EOS1D MarkIII 10.5 megapixel, so the best I'm going to get is 28.8m in Adobe Photoshop

They have come back to me saying what I supplied before was good, so I'll go with that.

That was going to be my next suggestion....ask them if your previous picture files submitted were adequate. As pointed out it's pure nonsense to request picture files based solely on JPEG file size. Glad we could help!