13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 7:10 AM by kartoondudez

Why does the Aperture Importer Stall?

lowjumpingfrog Level 1

My setup OSX Yosemite, Aperture 3.6, Single Library of 50291 images (mostly raw files). This is a fully referenced Aperture  library. The library package and image files are on the same hard drive. I started with a new LR 5.7.1 catalog and used the built in import aperture plugin. Starting this plugin and every time an option is checked on the option dialog that comes up when interacting with the importer causes the "Checking Aperture Library" action to happen. This eventually closes and after checking the three options that I want (waiting about 30minutes each time) the importer runs. The first time it completed 13% of my Aperture library and just stopped. It stopped for 24hrs. I deemed the script stuck and I closed LR and repeated the process, waiting three times for the  "Checking Aperture Library" action to happen. The importer started again. This time getting to 30% and stopping.

Another odd thing is it copied some files to path for copying images and videos. I checked the box for leaving the referenced files in place. Aperture reports that all of my files are referenced and "online" so I did not expect any to be copied to this path. The LR catalog seems to have been built as advertised. Full res previews stacked with originals, meta info retained, etc ... One notable exception ... not all files were cataloged because the import process stopped. When I restarted after the stall at 13% the importer started at the 13% mark and continued to the 30% and stalled again. As I type I am waiting for the "Checking Aperture Library"  to finish 3 three times to see if "the 3 time is a charm". The log file deposited in the Documents folder has a lot of complaints that look like:

2015-03-04 19:57:48 +0000, INFOFailed to import master photo /Volumes/Photo Library Aperture/Photos/Galapagos/100_8877.CR2 with error AgImportSession.addOnePhotoToLibrary: failed to import photo

and at the end

2015-03-04 21:41:00 +0000, INFO"import keywords from Aperture" timed out

One final note. Prior to running into this obstacle I ran the importer on my Aperture library when it was a fully managed Library and it ran to completion! The resulting file structure is daunting. I find that having the hundreds of folders in the date tree detracting from the functionality that LR provides for managing files from within LR. Plus, the full res previews are not stacked in LR with the originals.  The stack option seems to be only available when operating on a referenced transfer? I still have that catalog but, would rather see folders named after my projects in the Folder pane. I've been at this transfer process for about a week now. I've run disk verifications and permission repairs on the disks and the Aperture library (using Cmd-Opt when opening the library).

I am nearly ready to stay on the mat and admit defeat.

Has any one encountered this situation? Any clues would be gratefully appreciated.

• 1. Re: Why does the Aperture Importer Stall?
          lowjumpingfrog Level 1
          Short Answer ---- Aperture migrators beware - the Lightroom 5.71 Aperture Library Importer plugin is a waste of time and does not work as advertised.

My experience:

Given that Aperture is at end of life and there are some bugs in Aperture that cause it to crash repeatedly in my workflow I decided to look at  Lightroom as my new workflow tool. Before I jumped ship I downloaded the trial Creative Cloud version of Lightroom. Initially I was impressed. The RAW converter is better (although not as good as Capture One Pro) and the adjustment tools have a slight edge over those in Aperture.  This upped my interested. So I exported a couple of projects from Aperture library to a smaller managed (make sure you understand what this means) library and did a test import into Lightroom (LR). Went smoothly. Next I had to decide on whether to subscribe to Adobe’s Creative Cloud or purchase a “perpetual" license for LR. I was very willing and nearly ready to go with the CC option since you get Photoshop (PS) as well. Realize that with the CC both LR and Photoshop end up on your computer and you can use both off line. So no worries about having to be connected to the internet to use either one. Plus, you get regular updates. How sweet is that for $10/month.  Sounding pretty good. Well the dirty little secret is that if the CC client on your computer is not able to check in with the mother ship every 30 days then you are sunk. If your computer can not do a license check then you CAN NOT use use either LR or PS even if they are on your computer. So what happens if you are traveling on assignment and you are in the wild blue yonder without internet and you need these tools? Adobe has no solution for this at least none offered on the forums, which by the way is the only non-paying option for support. Needless to say, to go further with this purchase the perpetual license is the only option for those who feel the 30 check-in requirement does not fit their work model. So, purchase the perpetual license version I did. If you are with me so far and you are still considering buy LR don’t stop reading. It gets worse!

So with the perpetual license version installed and my Aperture Library back up in two places. I first regenerated full size previews as this would be the only way to capture the adjustments I made on images in my Aperture Library. LR will transfer those over and stack them with the original, at least that is what the advertise. I started with a managed Aperture library (50K images), Version 3.6 (can’t transfer if you don’t have Aperture 3.51 or higher) running Yosemite on my top of the line, current, Macbook Pro. I started LR up with a clean library, started the Aperture to LR importer plugin that comes with LR 5.71. I read about the transfer process on line and even watch a 2 hour Lynda training video made by Scott Bourne on how he did the transfer. Everything looked pretty straight forward. So no sweat right? No - When the plugin starts up it shows a dialog the says "Checking Aperture Library” that dialog did not go away for 30 minutes! Ok, I select the place where my images were going to be copied too, a separate 2TB blank drive. LR copies the files from the managed library package to a new location in a date tree format. This means there is a new folder for each year and in that folder a new folder for each month then in each of those a folder for everyday that a photo was taken. This is how Aperture stores the images in a managed library which is abstracted from Aperture users because it is packed as library file. The transfer took about 30 hours. It completed! Good right. Well only if you are comfortable with now having your photos spread out over hundreds of folders organized by date. Do you remember what date you took your photos? I don’t! We’ll Adobe might say … “you have collections for all of the projects that you had in Aperture” A collection is like a virtual folder. This is not all that different from what Aperture was doing when you have a managed library. This just did not sit well with me. This file structure is certainly not future proof! In my hours of reading about this subject I knew a way around this.

The answer is to relocate your Aperture photos into folders named by project. This is easy to do in Aperture. What you end up with is one folder for each Aperture project in a new location. Aperture MOVES your photos from the managed library to a bunch of folders on the file system that are directly accessible in Finder. Great, that process took a few hours. Now back to LR. I started with a new LR 5.7.1 catalog and used the built in import aperture plugin again. Starting this plugin and every time an option is checked on the option dialog that comes up when interacting with the importer causes the "Checking Aperture Library" action to happen. This eventually closes and after checking the three options that I wanted (waiting about 30minutes each time) the importer started. The first time it completed 13% of my Aperture library and just stopped. I let it set over night because Finder still thought it was running. The next day it was still on 13%, I deemed the script stuck and I closed LR and repeated the process, waiting three times (90 minutes each time) for the "Checking Aperture Library" action to happen. The importer started again. This time getting to 30% and stopping. I did this five more times before LR said it was finished! Stupid or stubborn, I am both. While all of this was going on I spent some time on the Adobe forums. Only to learn that I am not alone in this experience. Reading through the seemingly endless threads of people sharing their woes I notice that there was no moderation or support from Adobe. When it finished I looked at what it had done and at initial blush it seems ok. However, the process log it left was full of messages saying it did not import master files.

I am a software developer when I am not doing photography. This LR Aperture importer is alpha level software at best. It seems that some Adobe code monkey pasted together a Lua scripted plug-in so the marketing team could make a lure for Aperture users that are feeling abandoned. This plugin is not ready for prime time and certainly not ready to give Aperture users confidence that LR is up to the job of managing a transfer of an Aperture library. My advice for people in this situation, wait, keep your eyes on the Adobe forums to see if someone is actually interested in fixing this problem. Or perhaps look at another photo management tool. Phase One Capture Pro looks good and Photo Mechanic is a seasoned piece of software that is used by many.

• 2. Re: Why does the Aperture Importer Stall?
            kartoondudez Level 1

I'm leaving Aperture due to crashes and issues. JUST bought the LR and Photo shop. Trying to do the File > Plug-in Extras > Import from Aperture Library. And i had a 'checking aperture library" bar up for over 4 hours. Did a live chat with adobe and even gave them control to access my computer. They were going to create another folder of "masters" on my drobo and try to import them that way, but that would erase YEARS of organization of folders we have in aperture. So they told me to stop the copy and just let LR do it's thing. Said it can take 24-48 hours. So after they force quit LR and tried to do it the other way, we finished chat with them, and are starting over lol.

We have over a TB of photos on Drobo and at first they tried to copy a folder of Masters to desk top. Had to stop that or my computer would have crashed.

• 3. Re: Why does the Aperture Importer Stall?
              kartoondudez Level 1

It's  now 845pm and It let me select where to put the files, and is at a whopping 6% done w importing!

• 4. Re: Why does the Aperture Importer Stall?
                kartoondudez Level 1

10:40 am the next day, and we have 23% done. I Think this will take a while.

• 5. Re: Why does the Aperture Importer Stall?
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's hard to suggest what might be happening if you don't say what options you chose.

• 6. Re: Why does the Aperture Importer Stall?
                    kartoondudez Level 1

44% done. 2 days later it's 5:17pm

• 7. Re: Why does the Aperture Importer Stall?
                      kartoondudez Level 1

3 days later. It's 9:08am and it's at 51%

• 8. Re: Why does the Aperture Importer Stall?
                        kartoondudez Level 1

4 days later 9:04pm it's at 66%. Oy vey.

• 9. Re: Why does the Aperture Importer Stall?
                          kartoondudez Level 1

5 days later. 2:35pm it's at 73%

• 10. Re: Why does the Aperture Importer Stall?
                            kartoondudez Level 1

6 days later 12:16pm it's at 80%

Might get to actually use it by thursday!

Haven't dared downloaded photo shop yet incase it halts the importing of Aperture library.

• 11. Re: Why does the Aperture Importer Stall?
                              kartoondudez Level 1

It's now been one week. It's 10:19am and it's 87% done. This is ridiculous. But I hope it will be worth it.

• 12. Re: Why does the Aperture Importer Stall?
                                kartoondudez Level 1

Day 8 3:45pm it's 95% done.

• 13. Re: Why does the Aperture Importer Stall?
                                  kartoondudez Level 1

Day 9. 10am DONE! Now to see if we actually like LR