10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2015 8:48 PM by A.T. Romano

Photoshop Premiere Elements 13

westtexas96291431

Does Photoshop Premiere Elements 13 play Sony AVCHD videos?

• 2. Re: Photoshop Premiere Elements 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

westexas

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on?

What is the model/settings for the Sony recording the video? Does your camera come with recording choices of "AVCHD" and "MP4"?

If so, can I assume that you are using the "AVCHD" choice which should result with a MP4 AVC/H.264 (AVCHD) file with a .mts file extension on

the project's Timeline?

You ask about "playing of "AVCHD videos" with Premiere Elements 13. The wording "playing" makes me ask "Are you interested in importing/editing/exporting "AVCHD video" or

rather asking about importing and playing back "AVCHD.mts" or "AVCHD.mp4" videos in the Elements Organizer 13 using the Elements Organizer 13 player?

Do you currently have the purchased Premiere Elements 13 or are you just thinking about evaluating the tryout. If you have not made the purchase yet, please consider evaluating

the tryout first to assure the compatibility of the program with your computer environment and project goals.

Please clarify and indicate what supplemental information that you have on the subject.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: Photoshop Premiere Elements 13
            A.T. Romano Level 7

westtexas

Thanks for the reply but for some reason there was no message in the reply.

As your schedule permits, please try again for your reply with message.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Photoshop Premiere Elements 13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

westtexas

Thanks for trying to reply again. But, same result as before...reply with no message.

If you are replying from a cell phone or using email notifications, try using your computer browser to come to the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum,

sign in, go to Adobe Premiere Elements Forum and your thread in order to post a reply with message.

If you continue to have posting issue, then consider asking about the posting issue in the Adobe Comments Forum.

Forum comments

Depending on how the matter progresses, we might try to use the private message system here to communicate on what is happening with your issue

and afterward move back to the thread for communication to be shared by all.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Photoshop Premiere Elements 13
                westtexas96291431 Level 1

First of all, thank you ever so much for taking the time to provide your very “in depth” reply.  Nice to know that “someone is out there”.     Answers to your questions are provided in blue.

westexas

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on? Win 8.1 and my camera is Sony’s RX10.

What is the model/settings for the Sony recording the video? AVCHD…60P28M(PS)Does your camera come with recording choices of "AVCHD" and "MP4"?Yes both.

If so, can I assume that you are using the "AVCHD" choice yes which should result with a MP4 AVC/H.264 (AVCHD) file with a .mts file extension on the project's Timeline? Videos have file numbers such as 20141225100813-1.MTS and although the video is beautiful, the audio plays only 30 seconds before stopping (video continues, as per normal on the computer)…memory stick playback from camera has perfect video and consistent audio. Don’t know where is look for the “Timeline” info.

You ask about "playing of "AVCHD videos" with Premiere Elements 13. The wording "playing" makes me ask "Are you interested in importing/editing/exporting "AVCHD video" trying to play (as stated above) and also exporting Christmas AVCHD files from my hard drive to free up space…have tried to export to my computer’s blue ray device but without success; editing comes later (hopefully) or rather asking about importing and playing back "AVCHD.mts" or "AVCHD.mp4" videos in the Elements Organizer 13 using the Elements Organizer 13 player?  (don’t know about player)

Do you currently have the purchased Premiere Elements 13 or are you just thinking about evaluating the tryout. I purchased the bundled PS Elements/Premiere Elements from Amazon. If you have not made the purchase yet, please consider evaluating the tryout first to assure the compatibility of the program with your computer environment and project goals.

Please clarify and indicate what supplemental information that you have on the subject.

Best wishes

Thanks once again for your assistance.

West Texas

ATR

• 8. Re: Photoshop Premiere Elements 13
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

West Texas

Thanks for the replies and additional information that you supplied for troubleshooting of your AVCHD.mts file in the Premiere Elements 13 workflow.

I looked at the specifications for your Sony RX10. Under the "AVCHD" mode, I see choices

of 1080, 60p and 1080, 60i.

Project Preset in use.......just want to make sure that you are not using 1080i instead of 1080p.......happens if project does not automatically set the project preset correctly.....

if not sure please see readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they look grayed out under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.)

1080, 60p, which you say that you are using.....that would be 1920 x 1080 @ 59.97/60 progressive frames per second. If that is what your camera is recording, then the project preset

indicated would be

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD1080p60

If your camera is recording with 5.1 Channel audio instead of stereo...Premiere Elements does not have a 1080, 60p, 5.1 Channel project preset. But, if it becomes necessary, I can

tell you how to make your own.

The above uses Dolby Digital  2 channel Stereo. Please confirm if you are recording with Dolby Digital 2 channel Stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1 channel.

It is important that the project preset set by you (manually) or the project (automatically) match the properties of the source media. So, let us start with project settings details.

Also, please update 13 to 13.1 Update for both Premiere Elements 13 and its Element Organizer 13. There is some problem with sound from the AVCHD.mts in the Elements Organizer 13 player which appears to have been corrected in the 13.1 Update.

Also, are you having any problems with video from other cameras that might be using Dolby Digital 2 or 5.1 channel audio?

Thanks again for posting your follow up information.

ATR

• 9. Re: Photoshop Premiere Elements 13
                    westtexas96291431 Level 1

I looked at the specifications for your Sony RX10. Under the "AVCHD" mode, I see choices

of 1080, 60p and 1080, 60i. (what was the source document please?)

Project Preset in use.......just want to make sure that you are not using 1080i instead of 1080p.......happens if project does not automatically set the project preset correctly..... (am using 60P28M(PS))

if not sure please see readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they look grayed out under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.) (where is the information to be found please).

1080, 60p, which you say that you are using.....that would be 1920 x 1080 @ 59.97/60 progressive frames per second. If that is what your camera is recording, then the project preset

indicated would be

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD1080p60

If your camera is recording with 5.1 Channel audio instead of stereo...Premiere Elements does not have a 1080, 60p, 5.1 Channel project preset. But, if it becomes necessary, I can

tell you how to make your own.  According to the RX10 menu "camera settings", screen 7; recording level setting is 2 channels, so I guess it would be stereo.

The above uses Dolby Digital  2 channel Stereo. Please confirm if you are recording with Dolby Digital 2 channel Stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1 channel.

It is important that the project preset set by you (manually) or the project (automatically) match the properties of the source media. So, let us start with project settings details.  Sorry A.T. but I don't understand...

Also, please update 13 to 13.1 Update for both Premiere Elements 13 and its Element Organizer 13. There is some problem with sound from the AVCHD.mts in the Elements Organizer 13 player which appears to have been corrected in the 13.1 Update.  (Thank you) I did the 13.1 update but unfortunately, my AVCHD videos still only play for 30 seconds before only the video continues

Also, are you having any problems with video from other cameras that might be using Dolby Digital 2 or 5.1 channel audio? I do have a problem that may be related...I have still photos and some videos (not taken with the RX10) that, when clicked on to open, generate an error message.  It states:  "The selected file cannot be played because your system does not have the required compressor/decompressor (codec) installed".  {click here for information} when clicked, it says..."Elements Organizer Help states if both PSE and PS Premiere Elements are installed, all file formats play in Elements Organizer.  Sounds good, but videos don't play and stills don't open.

A.T.  Hope that I'm not getting to far into the "weeds" but I want you to know that I really appreciate your help.

West Texas

• 10. Re: Photoshop Premiere Elements 13
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

West Texas

DSC-RX10 Digital Still Camera - DSCRX10/B Review - Sony US

The link to the specifications that I referenced.

If your camera is recording 1080p60 and you import that into Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and the project automatically sets that project preset correctly to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

Then when you are in the Edit workspace and go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, you should see

1080p60.JPG

If you do not see what is in the screenshot, then the project did not analyze your source correctly and you will need to

set the project preset yourself manually with File Menu/New/Project and its Change Settings.

Stereo (2 channel) would be find. So forget thought of 5.1 channel considerations in this case.

It is important that the project preset set by you (manually) or the project (automatically) match the properties of the source media. So, let us start with project settings details.  Sorry A.T. but I don't understand...

One of the major functions of setting the project preset to match the properties of the source video is to instruct the project as to what space in the Edit area monitor to set up for editing purposes.

The following explanation can be found in this blog which discussed the principles involved for version 11 - still applicable to 12 and 13.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

The project preset setting has subtle as well as non subtle function.

Please clarify

I did the 13.1 update but unfortunately, my AVCHD videos still only play for 30 seconds before only the video continues

The typical Elements Organizer 13 and AVCHD.mts situation had been, OK import of AVCHD.mts into the Elements Organizer 13, but, at playback there with the Elements Organizer 13 player, there was video playback complete by no audio at all. After the Elements Organizer 13 update to 13.1, this same file then played back in the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 player with both video and audio complete. I was not sure if you are saying that, in your case,

Before 13.1, video playback complete in Organizer and only 30 seconds audio (non complete)

After 13.1, video and audio both only for 30 seconds.

I have still photos and some videos (not taken with the RX10) that, when clicked on to open, generate an error message.  It states:  "The selected file cannot be played because your system does not have the required compressor/decompressor (codec) installed".  {click here for information} when clicked, it says..."Elements Organizer Help states if both PSE and PS Premiere Elements are installed, all file formats play in Elements Organizer.  Sounds good, but videos don't play and stills don't open.

We need to look into this further by knowing the format for the stills and video (not from Sony RX10)....are the stills regular jpg images? What are the formats of the videos? If you take these same files into the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor, do they import without issue? A just in case miscellaneous note to be used when and if necessary....when you import media into the Premiere Elements project, copies are automatically placed in the Elements Organizer. You might explore that route to see if it matters if the Elements Organizer is populated directly or from Premiere Elements copies.

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please let me know. If necessary to expedite the troubleshooting, you might want to send a small sample via a Dropbox link in the reply.

Tonight I just discovered Google Drive. So that might be a sending choice also. But, let us see how much we can accomplish in the thread with sendings.

Thanks.

ATR