11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 9:21 AM by A.T. Romano

No sound in previously created ".prel" files when I reopen them

liol1690755

If I am creating new file everything works OK. Also if I tried to play the sound track on the previously created prel files the sound is OK

• 1. Re: No sound in previously created ".prel" files when I reopen them
          A.T. Romano Level 7

liol

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system?

What sound is not heard - that from numbered Audio Tracks, Narration Track, Soundtrack?

How many prior saved closed project files (prel) have you opened and could not heard sound the existed in those files when they were saved closed?

Same particular audio file involved in each case?

Can you open a new project and maintain the sound before and after save close reopen?

Did you create narration using the project's Narration Tool and add it to a Timeline already consisting of Soundtrack and other non narration audio?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: No sound in previously created ".prel" files when I reopen them
            liol1690755 Level 1

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system?   - Elements 12  /  Windows 8.1

What sound is not heard - that from numbered Audio Tracks, Narration Track, Soundtrack?     - I don't hear anything

How many prior saved closed project files (prel) have you opened and could not heard sound the existed in those files when they were saved closed?     - a few

Same particular audio file involved in each case?

Can you open a new project and maintain the sound before and after save close reopen?     - yes

Did you create narration using the project's Narration Tool and add it to a Timeline already consisting of Soundtrack and other non narration audio?    - yes, but I deleted it and still the same result( no sound)

• 3. Re: No sound in previously created ".prel" files when I reopen them
              A.T. Romano Level 7

liol

Because of the frequency of occurrence, the particular version of Premiere Elements that you are using, that is12/12.1, and the involvement of narration content from the program's Narration Tool,

I suspect what is described in the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Audio Losses After Narration Addition

I have tried to reproduce this known 12/12.1 issue described in that thread and have never been able to.

It was the user Llamadude who actual had the problem and who came up with a solution which others have also used successfully. Even in Llamadude's solution, deletion of the narration which was created with the Narration Tool never solved the no sound issue once the event had been triggered.

When you have encountered this no sound after a save close reopen, have you ever tried

a. Moving from one working space to another and making sound changes in the other workspace before going back to the original working space

b. working in the Timeline workspace and moving audio content to other numbered audio tracks?

Please consider. We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: No sound in previously created ".prel" files when I reopen them
                Lio1972

That worked for me , thank you very much

Now I have a different problem to do with narration as well

If I render the project and save it as MP4 . I don't hear the narration. In the project the narration is OK.

• 5. Re: No sound in previously created ".prel" files when I reopen them
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lio1972

Thanks for the reply with news of your progress. Glad that the initial narration issue was resolved.

What are the details of your export settings? I am especially interested in Publish+Share/Computer/then what and what preset.

Also, did you use the preset's default settings or did you click on its Advanced Button to get to export settings for customization under the

Video Tab, Audio Tab, or, if applicable, the Multiplexer Tab?

Also, when editing the project, did you use the Smart Mix feature or try by some other means to balance the sound from

the various audio tracks?

Please review and consider and supply more information, and then we will decide which way to go with the troubleshooting based on your reply details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: No sound in previously created ".prel" files when I reopen them
                    Lio1972 Level 1

Thanks

export settings - AVCHD  mp4-HD 720p 24

I did used the smart mix

• 7. Re: No sound in previously created ".prel" files when I reopen them
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lio1972

Thanks for the reply with further details of your issue.

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 (assumed 64 bit computer).

Please reopen the project, and inspect the audio tracks of the project. Open the Audio Mixer and observe

the volume levels as well as the balance levels at the top of the Audio Mixer panels as you playback the Timeline content. Also, please have the Audio Meter visible (Window Menu/Audio Meters) so that you can gauge the audio with that also during the playback. In the opened Audio Mixer, besides the slider levels for each of the audio tracks, is there a check mark next to any of the mute boxes in the Audio Mixer.

Let us see if you can find anything before export to explain the export results.

If not, I will suggest other export settings so that you obtain your 720p24 with AAC rather than Dolby Digital audio to determine if that

will be the solution.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 8. Re: No sound in previously created ".prel" files when I reopen them
                        Lio1972 Level 1

Thank you

I tried yours suggestions but nothing changed still no narration

I do have three audio files

Audio1

Soundtrack

and Narration

Audio 1 and Soundtrack are not overlapping

Narration is overlapping with Soundtrack and the format of the narration is wav

This is a screenshot of the smart mix

Capture1.PNG

• 9. Re: No sound in previously created ".prel" files when I reopen them
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Lio1972

Thanks for the additional helpful information.

Please disregard the prior comment

I will suggest other export settings so that you obtain your 720p24 with AAC rather than Dolby Digital audio to determine if that

will be the solution.

Since those MP4 presets use AAC and not Dolby Digital in the first place.

Two thoughts

1. Have we determined if this loss of audio on export is restricted to this one project? Depending on the circumstances, if you can

recreate this project in a new project, does the audio issues still exist?

2. What happens if you replace the Narration and Soundtrack in the problem project?

3. If you export your Timeline to

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = HDTV 720p24 High Quality

Is the sound also lost in the export? The audio for this preset is MPEG by default (uses MainConcept MPEG audio codec). Under

the Advanced Button/Audio Tab of the preset, you can change that to Dolby Digital if you want to.

We will be looking forward to your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: No sound in previously created ".prel" files when I reopen them
                            Lio1972 Level 1

Thank you

Apparently the narration is missing in all of my projects.

OK I research further my problem and if I move the narration to Audio1  everything works. Why the narration doesn't work in 'naration'?

• 11. Re: No sound in previously created ".prel" files when I reopen them
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Lio1072

Great job with the troubleshooting the comment in post 1

When you have encountered this no sound after a save close reopen, have you ever tried

a. Moving from one working space to another and making sound changes in the other workspace before going back to the original working space

b. working in the Timeline workspace and moving audio content to other numbered audio tracks?

By narration missing in all of my projects, does that include new as well as existing projects?

In your present situation, please look at deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete

the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option

Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

Also for troubleshooting purposes now, please consider creating narration in the free audio editor Audacity, exporting the

narration as wav to hard drive and from there import the wav narration file into Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and

Folders. Does that function on Narration Track?

Thanks for the follow ups. Looking forward to learning of your further progress.

ATR