7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2015 9:57 AM by Szalam

Video comes in 2 seconds after audio

MGMartino Level 1

So I have made about 5 movies using After Effects now, but they have all been completely manufactured within AE with no actual footage.  Now for the first time I am trying to put something very simple together from some footage I recorded on my iPhone 5s.  I have the fps set to 30 like it should be but when I start it with RAM preview the audio comes in with no video then about 2seconds later the video pops up (and everything is in sync but it's like for 2 seconds I just had no video)  It is kinda annoying especially since I am trying to have text popping up on the screen right when the movie starts but it's hard to get a feel for how it is syncing because the video doesn't show up right away with the audio.  This never happened before when I was making movies with no actual footage....?

• 1. Re: Video comes in 2 seconds after audio
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Transcode that video!  It's probably in some off-the-wall codec that AE doesn't like.  Use Adobe Media Encoder to do the job, and couble-check the frame rate of the original footage while you're at it.  I've been making quicktime movies in the Photo JPEG codec recently when I transcode.

• 2. Re: Video comes in 2 seconds after audio
            MGMartino Level 1

Okay I have only used the media encoder in the past to render out  my movies so they we suitable for youtube using the "1080p Youtube" preset in the encoder.  So I am not to sure which pre-set or settings you want me to pick for this movie when I encode it. Also it says the codec it's currently in is H.264, AAC which I thought was also the codec the Media Encoder used when making movies suitable for youtube, so shouldn't it be fine inside AE?

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 4.15.54 PM.pngI also attached the "info" on the movie file, just to provide you with more detail of what I am working with.

• 3. Re: Video comes in 2 seconds after audio
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do not want to use QuickTime H.264 because Apple no longer supports it and it's buggy as can be.

The YouTube HD preset for H.264 works just fine for just about everything and will give you an MP4 that will play on just about anything.

• 4. Re: Video comes in 2 seconds after audio
                MGMartino Level 1

Oh I see.  So should I take my original iphone  video recording and run it through the Adobe Media Encoder YouTube HD preset FIRST, and then drag that video into my After Effects project to edit and work on?

• 5. Re: Video comes in 2 seconds after audio
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Sure, do just that if you're all about losing image quality going into and out of AE.

If you're not, explore how AME works and make a QT in Photo JPEG for use in AE.

• 6. Re: Video comes in 2 seconds after audio
                    MGMartino Level 1

I'm in Media Encoder right now looking through the presets and also clicking into the settings details.  But I am not sure exactly what you mean or how to achieve making a "QT in Photo JPEG for use in AE"...could you explain?

• 7. Re: Video comes in 2 seconds after audio
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MGMartino wrote:

I am not sure exactly what you mean or how to achieve making a "QT in Photo JPEG for use in AE"...could you explain?

You can render a file into many formats and codecs.

QuickTime is one format you could render to. Photo-JPEG is a codec that you can use inside the QuickTime format.

It's a very good choice for a digital intermediate between software.

So, set your format to QuickTime and choose the Photo-JPEG codec. Then you should be able to use the resulting file in AE.