It appears to ONLY be doing it to one particular document which is about 98 MB in size. I have saved this document as something else in a new location on my computer. That did not fix the issue.
The images aren't embedded, but there are a TON of them. This is just 1 spread. The little icons are Vector EPS files. I did notice that the AI version of each image is about half the size so I'll be replacing them next. It's still exporting as .idml. Keeping my fingers crossed.......................
It would be worth seeing if replacing the images with .ai versions will help, but If the file is crashing on relinking, that's going to be hard to do.
Making the icons into a font would probably be a good idea, too. You could use Indyfont for that (either the free demo from Adobe Community: [Ann] IndyFont Demo: make your own (1 character) font and make one font for each icon or the paid version which would allow you to make a multi-character font).
Did the export work?
Interesting font suggestion. InDesign would NOT export as .idml. It just spun it's wheels. I should have let it keep spinning overnight. If I haven't gotten this fixed by then, I will. I don't know what .inx is. Right now I'm about to try moving my graphics folder so that the links are broken. I'll keep you posted.................
I was able to replace all the graphics with the AI files, but the InDesign file was still over 75 MB AND it still crashed repeatedly when exporting as a PDF AND pasting.
The only way I was able to copy graphics was by NOT using the keyboard shortcuts. Instead I went the long way by selecting File......
Next up. Converting images to fonts.
Start a new InDesign file with the same size, margins, bleeds etc.
Then in your current non-compliant file go to Layout>Pages and choose Move Pages.
Set the range.
And in the dropdown menu choose your new document as the destination.
This should move your page(s) to the new document.
See if that helps.
If you make the font, remember that it's the SAME font, regardless of the color of the icon -- you change the character color with a style or local formatting, not with a new font.
OK, so I wound up doing a combination of things to fix my problem. I created fonts for each of my 23 icons. I created a new InDesign file and copied all the work I had done (with the exception of that jacked up page where all the crashing was happening). For that page I just created it from scratch using the new Fonts. The InDesign file went from 100 MB to 32 MB, and I haven't crashed yet. YEA!!!
Thanks for all these wonderful suggestions.