7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2016 9:42 AM by KTGBGRME

Indesign CS6 Booklet print size problems

llclevenger

I am using a Mac Pro running Yosemite 10.10.2 and trying to print to a Canon iR ADV C5240 copier/printer.   I am trying to print a booklet that is 4 pages to be  folded on 8.5 x 11 paper.  I can do the same project on a Windows 7 computer with no issues. 

On my Mac Pro all setting are set for 8.5 x 11 (U.S. Letter) paper.  The preview shows it to be correct.  Everytime I send it to the printer it uses 11 x 17 paper and prints all four pages on only half the paper.  Two on one side and two on the other and folds it.  If I where to cut it it in half would be fine just with a lot of wasted paper.  If I try to force it to go to the correct 8.5 x 11 tray, the printer shows an error and indicates it needs the 11 x 7 paper. 

I can not find any setting anywhere to change this.  It only happens when I use booklet printing.  If I just print it flat and two-sided it prints fine.  The issue seems to be just in the booklet settings but I have no idea where to make a setting change. 

Lisa

• 1. Re: Indesign CS6 Booklet print size problems
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you using InDesign's Print Booklet, or the booklet printing in your print driver?

In our printer (a biz hub), the printer driver booklet printing requires setting the page size to match a single page - it then prints out the booklet on the larger sheet.

• 2. Re: Indesign CS6 Booklet print size problems
            llclevenger Level 1

Thank you for the reply.  I am printing from with in Indesign but I believe the printer driver is handling the print.  In my Windows version I can open the booklet print dialog box and select "Booklet print process with application settings"  I do not have that available on the Mac version.  One thing it will do it print it to 11 x 17 with no problem.  Unfortunately I need it on 8.5 x 11 and I can not get it to do that.  I have no problem on my Windows 7 computer but I am trying to switch over to my new mac pro and so far not successful with a major part of my job -  printing booklets on 8.5 x 11.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Lisa

• 3. Re: Indesign CS6 Booklet print size problems
              MrTIFF Level 3

If printing booklets is a major part of your job, It would no doubt be well worth it for your company to invest in something far better than using InDesign's weak  "Print Booklet" feature.  I particularly like the IDImposer plug-in for InDesign. (Disclaimer: I work for Sterling Computing, the maker of IDImposer; and IDImposer is not free.)  IDImposer takes your 5.5 x 8.5 (or whatever) pages and create a new imposed, booklet-order InDesign doc with 11 x 8.5 (or whatever) sheets. Then when you are ready to print, just Print, without using "Print Booklet", on whatever size paper you want.  The plug-in works on both Mac and Windows. See the IDImposer web site for further details.

Cheers,

Stephen

• 4. Re: Indesign CS6 Booklet print size problems
                KTGBGRME Level 1

I am having the exact same issues as Lisa with the exact same printer and computer configuration.

It's a very capable printer, and as she said, prints tabloid folded to letter size booklets well.

The problem is creating 5.5 x 8.5 booklets. It doesn't matter if you impose the pages with a plug in.

It doesn't matter what your page set up is, or anything like that.

The ONLY way you can get it to fold and saddle stitch is to use Canon's "booklet printing" feature.

You cannot get it to fold 8.5 x 11 paper any other way.

And it infuriatingly wants to staple with a top or bottom fold orientation.

Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 12.01.19 PM.png

At it will always use tabloid paper. I've chosen the paper tray that has letter size paper, and the printer gets an error.

The one with the staple on the corner in this photo is the only one that printed on letter size. I don't even know what settings I used for that one!

NoGood.jpg

All I want is this:

Good.JPG

Thank goodness I was able to print out the batch I needed before the switch to the new printer!!!

I will certainly post a solution. If I find one!

Kathy T-G

• 5. Re: Indesign CS6 Booklet print size problems
                  Chris.Young28 Level 1

I am also having the same issue using the latest InDesign CC and an Image Runnier ADV 7055. I currently have a help ticket in with the engineers at Canon, but they seem to think it is an issue on Adobe's end. Considering the number of Design professionals that use Canon products you would think fixing this would be a priority...

• 6. Re: Indesign CS6 Booklet print size problems
                    MrTIFF Level 3

Since it works as expected on Windows but not on the Mac, the problem is, at least in part, an Apple problem. In its quest to make everything 'easier' on a Mac, Apple has no standard way to communicate with InDesign regarding issues such as 2-sided printing and booklets. So things like this end up being a complicated dance between the printer, the printer driver, Apple's printing APIs, and InDesign.  And there are no clear rules for this dance ... Apple, Canon, and Adobe engineering just has to guess, and try to test all the combinations.

So what to do when you hit a 'special features breakdown' issue like this? Yes, making Canon aware of the issue is good ... probably the easiest 'fix' is in their Mac print driver software. Or, Adobe engineering might be able to work around the problem in InDesign's printing subsystem.  Apple has the most power to make the problem go away, eventually, but is not likely to make a major change in this area anytime soon. At least, they have resisted making such changes for many years now.  Still, it might be worth reporting the problem to Apple, too, just to make them aware that this is an issue that won't easily go away, and that they have some responsibility for fixing it.

Shorter-term, can you export your document to PDF in InDesign, and then use Acrobat's "Booklet" print option?  Acrobat's printer software is a little different from InDesign's, and you might get lucky.

Or, of course, design on the Mac, but then do the actual production print from a Windows computer.

Regards,

Stephen

• 7. Re: Indesign CS6 Booklet print size problems
                      KTGBGRME Level 1

Yes, I've tried printing from Acrobat, but it's the same problem. The Canon printer's booklet-maker overrides any other software's.

Interesting that it works on Windows, but it made me remember something that's got me thinking–and hoping!

When I export to PDF to make ADA compliant documents, I have to test the "read out loud" function on a Windows machine, because I hear tell that Adobe and Apple don't play very well together. I was ripping my hair out for months trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, following Adobe's instructions step-by-step. Reading order, tagging, alt text… hours upon hours of trial and mostly error. Finally, I took a course on creating accessible PDFs, and it turns out the last and most important step was to test and tweak it on Acrobat for Windows. Eureka! The first time I clicked on "read this page only", and that Dell narrated it from top to bottom, I almost wept.

It made me realize that, as much as I like Apple, their products are not the be-all and end-all solution to every problem.

That said, I'm not at work today, but I'm eager to take your advice and print from a PDF on the Windows laptop I have there.

I'll report back and let you know when I do!

Kathy T-G