10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2015 12:44 AM by MGMartino

Blue/green lines acting weird

MGMartino Level 1

So lately in AE my blue and green lines have not been acting as they normally do and it is causing all sorts of frustration for me.  At first I thought it was just my new project but then I started opening older projects that use to behave normally, and now they are acting weird just the like new ones so it is clearly a problem that is happening throughout my AE software not just my project.

I will open a project click the RAM Preview button and it takes about 4-5 mins to load the green line for a movie that is 4mins and has almost no animations in it or effects and then the movie will start to play automatically like it is supposed to when it finishes caching to ram, but THEN!! I look ahead and notice that the green line is only halfway through the movie so it really only cached the first half of the movie. So then, I pause it and then click ram preview again and all the frames that were just cached to ram are gone (there is no more green line where I just waited 4-5mins to get cached) and the green line that used to be throughout the first half does not turn blue when I try to rewatch it from the same spot, It just completely disappears.  SO it acts as if it is no longer chached to ram or even the disk!?  Also just the fact that it stops half way through and acts as if it cached the whole movie (by starting to play it in RAM Preview) is just weird and proof that something is wrong.  This will happen over and over again in different forms or another.  Basically it is just unpredictable and I can't find a pattern in the problem so it makes it even more impossible to deal with.

Any ideas on the matter ????

P.S. I noticed when I changed the fps RAM Preview in one project it changed the fps in RAM Preview for all of them. Is there a way to make it so that doesn't happen and it just stays specific to that project?

• 1. Re: Blue/green lines acting weird
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You have written a lot, but told us nothing. Sorry, your post is useless. You have not even told us your version of AE much less anything about your system, your cache settings, other settings, what's involved in your projects and so on.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Blue/green lines acting weird
            MGMartino Level 1

Fair enough...

I am using a 15" MacBook Pro (Late 2011 model) 

OS X 10.10.1 (Yosemite)

750GB HD (SATA Disk)

16GB RAM (2 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3 modueles)

2.4GHz Intel Core i7

Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB

I am using AE CC 13.2, I have attached 2 screen shoots of my "Media & Cache settings"and my "Memory & Multiprocessing" settings... As far as what's involved in my projects like I said before this is my first time using actual video footage, it was recorded on my iphone 5s.  Every other movie I made so far only had Text with animation (made in AE, motion typography kind of stuff), Image vectors (made in Adobe Illustrator and dragged into AE) or just JPEGs that I dragged in AE to use in my projects.

Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 2.07.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 2.08.08 PM.png

• 3. Re: Blue/green lines acting weird
              MGMartino Level 1

any ideas??

• 4. Re: Blue/green lines acting weird
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don't have enough RAM for it to cache and play back that long of a comp in RAM preview. After Effects is not intended as a video editing application and thus is not really built for previewing long sequences. I usually only preview a few seconds at a time.

• 5. Re: Blue/green lines acting weird
                  MGMartino Level 1

I was able to RAM preview entire videos when I was just making motion graphic lyric videos...?

If AE isn't a video editing application what would u consider it?

And what application is for video editing?

• 6. Re: Blue/green lines acting weird
                    MGMartino wrote:
                    I was able to RAM preview entire videos when I was just making motion graphic lyric videos...?
                    Yes, because AE only has to hold a bit of information when it's generating its own layers, but when you're using video, there is a TON of information. I mean, if you're using 1080p video, that's 2,073,600 pixels in every frame and nearly 30 frames per second - that adds up fast!

MGMartino wrote:

If AE isn't a video editing application what would u consider it?

After Effects is compositing and motion graphics software. It is made for creating shots. Editing is when you cut shots together. You technically could cut shots together in AE, but it's really slow at that.

Creating motion graphics or doing compositing is not called editing (even if a lot of kids on YouTube refer to it as such). "I edited myself into the video," is correct if they cut to a shot of them doing something. "I edited myself into the video," is incorrect if they used rotoscoping and other techniques to place themselves into an already existing shot. That would be called compositing - "I composited myself into the video".

MGMartino wrote:

And what application is for video editing?

Premiere Pro is a video editing program. (Final Cut, Vegas, Avid Media Composer are other options, but with a Creative Cloud subscription, you already have Premiere, so I'd use that if you want to edit).

• 7. Re: Blue/green lines acting weird
                      MGMartino Level 1

I understand, Thank you for the concise explanation....And just be clear, in the video I originally started this post about,  All I did was trim a couple seconds from the beginning and add in some text.  I literally could have done the whole thing in iMovie, except for the fact that I wanted to customize the text in the video and not use the presets iMovie limits you to.  But I was just amazed that I was able to hit play and watch the whole video on iMovie like it was nothing.  Meanwhile AE would take forever to Render the RAM Preview and then only playback half the movie, keeping in mind this is an AE project with barely any effects. 

So to summarize, in the future I want to make more simple videos like this with text popping up

Jemuhni - Learn to Fly (Acoustic) - YouTube

And Lyrics videos like this with more complex animations

Jemuhni - Red Dragon (LYRIC VIDEO) - YouTube

But also I want to create Music videos with actual video footage, that also have animated text popping up on screen.  Furthermore, I want to set up cameras in my music studio and record myself playing all the instruments for every part of a song and then.  Take the audio from the finished song I just record and sync that with the video footage of me performing all the parts and make that into a video for youtube, where I have me playing multiple instruments and the screen is split sometimes to 4 screens, or 2 screens, and then back to 1 screen...or something like that haha

Knowing all my plans for that now.  What would your personal recommendation be Szalam?

• 8. Re: Blue/green lines acting weird

You can create animated text effect presets in After Effects and use them in Premiere with customizable text IN PREMIERE! This is an exciting new addition to the Creative Cloud software and seems like it would be perfect for someone in your position. How to create text templates for Premiere Pro | Adobe After Effects CC tutorials

The majority of your music video work would be done in Premiere.

Premiere works like iMovie does because they're both video editors (or NLE's - non-linear editors). They work with a video stream. This is different from how AE, Nuke, and other compositing software work - which is on full-frame, uncompressed pixel information. There's a long explanation for this that you probably don't care about, but hopefully this short one helps. The Adobe team is working on redoing how AE works which will make previewing be a bit faster/better in the future, but it still won't be like an NLE.

Now, the lyric videos would probably be done mostly in AE. But the good thing is that you don't really need to preview much in AE - just a little piece at a time. Set your work area, and create a RAM preview (at half res, probably). Also, important tip, in AE, you can press the . on your numeric keypad and AE will play an audio preview. While the audio preview is playing, press * on the numeric keypad to lay down markers. If a layer is selected, it'll be a layer marker. If no layer is selected it'll be a composition marker. This is a handy way to figure out timings to audio in AE.

For either workflow, this page might help: optimizing for performance: Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects

And, if you're pretty new to AE, I highly recommend getting a solid foundation here: Getting started with After Effects You will probably know some of what those links contain, but I'll bet there will be a lot of moments where you'll be all, like, "OH MY GOSH; I've been doing it the hard way all this time!"

• 9. Re: Blue/green lines acting weird

Oh, and for that last part you mentioned where you're doing all the instruments, you would do your main edit in Premiere (using the four-point or eight-point garbage masks for the shots where there will be more than one of you). That might be good enough. But, if it looks a bit rough, you will go into AE and use the Import Premiere Pro Sequence menu option to bring your edit into AE. This will bring your entire Premiere Pro sequence into AE with each cut on its own layer for more detailed compositing work.

• 10. Re: Blue/green lines acting weird
                            MGMartino Level 1

Okay thanks a lot for all your info! I only have the CC version on After Effects, Media Encoder and Adobe Bridge so I think I will have to add Premiere Pro now.