11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2015 7:01 AM by Keith_Reeder

Why should I pay for CC and get less functionality than an Apple user?

JustClem Level 1

Why should I pay the same subscription price if I can't use any of the creative cloud features. There is no point making LR CC work on my phone - even the Samsung screen is too small for anyone to properly edit a photo on.
      Can I get a discount for a) not being able to access creative cloud functionality and b) for not being able to use the software except as a storage receptical once my subscription ends - I don't even mind paying for 12 months each time I want to update the software but its reasonable to leave it functional after that subscription ends.

Do you honestly think amateur photographers are going to pay $5,970 for Lightroom and Photoshop software across my lifetime if I die at 95 years old - god forbid I keep going to past 100 - I won't be able to afford to keep the subscription up that far into my retirement. Until I get a reasonable answer to this I am going to try Affinity as Adobe can't surely expect reasonable people to keep paying and I am still paying the Australian markup as well.

• 1. Re: Why should I pay for CC and get less functionality than an Apple user?
          Bob Somrak Level 5

Do you really think 120 US Dollars per year for Photoshop AND Lightroom is expensive?   I did watch some videos of Affinity and I hope it becomes great so Adobe keeps getting pushed for quality and price.  I think they are making a mistake being Apple only. It didn't work out for Aperture.  Competition is always good.

• 2. Re: Why should I pay for CC and get less functionality than an Apple user?
            JustClem Level 1

I don’t think 120 US for a year is bad if I can use my software after the subscription is over but they disable develop not just updates. Also I am not thinking of the annual price but the 50 more years that I will be paying to have it operational.   Bring on the competition I say.

• 3. Re: Why should I pay for CC and get less functionality than an Apple user?
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the Creative Cloud pricing plans still exist in their current formats/bundles in a couple of years, I'll be very surprised.

Adobe took everyone by surprise with the introduction of the temporary Photography Bundle in 2013 which became permanent in 2014. I suspect there are more changes on the horizon.

With or without viable competitors, Adobe is under constant market pressure to increase shareholder value, get more subscriptions and add new products. Annual or biennial change is inevitable.

If you want to "futureproof" your Lightroom investment, why not buy the perpetual version of version 5 now? It'll never be any cheaper and you'll probably be able to squeeze 5+ years out of it.

• 4. Re: Why should I pay for CC and get less functionality than an Apple user?
                Keith_Reeder Level 4

Well, the simple fact is that Adobe can offer - and charge - whatever it likes: there's no point asking for the justification of Adobe's position.

I'm not actually sure what your point is though, when you say you get less functionality than an Apple user: true, Lr Mobile hasn't (officially) rolled out to all Android form factors yet, but apart from that, what does a Mac user get that you don't?

JustClem wrote:

its reasonable to leave it functional after that subscription ends.

No it's not - that's like saying it would be reasonable to continue being able to use the hire car you've just given back to Avis at the end of the rental period.

• 5. Re: Why should I pay for CC and get less functionality than an Apple user?
                  JustClem Level 1

Why shouldn’t I ask them to justify their position – you think we should just all accept it and not ask?

As to what functionality I miss out on – if it isn’t available on the android device I have then I miss that functionality – so its just static software on my desktop nothing creatively cloud about that is there

• 6. Re: Why should I pay for CC and get less functionality than an Apple user?
                    john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JustClem wrote:

I don't even mind paying for 12 months each time I want to update the software but its reasonable to leave it functional after that subscription ends.

After that subscription ends, you can continue to use LR. Everything works, except you can't go into the Develop and Web modules or use LrMobile. So you can continue to find, add keywords and other metadata, adjust (via Quick Develop and presets), export and print.

• 7. Re: Why should I pay for CC and get less functionality than an Apple user?
                      Joshua Cohen Level 3

Also, I believe at the end of subscription you can purchase the current perpetual license and have full functionality of that version forever. Yes I know you are essentially double dipping that last year, but at least you're not paying forever as the OP suggested. Also, while we have been promised there is no guarantee perpetual licenses will always be available. But you can be sure if perpetual licenses are eliminated there will be some notice and you will have the option of purchasing the last available perpetual license at that time.

• 8. Re: Why should I pay for CC and get less functionality than an Apple user?
                        Simon G E Garrett Level 2

JustClem wrote:

Why shouldn’t I ask them to justify their position – you think we should just all accept it and not ask?

Welcome to the free market!

Adobe are in a monopoly or oligopoly for most of their products, and so the answer to any question starting "Why do you..." is "Because we can."

They have no obligtation to you except under contract and other law.  If you don't like it: put up with it, go somewhere else or do without.

You say: "I am still paying the Australian markup as well."  Are you are paying more in Australia?  When I look on the Adobe site for Australia, it says A$9.99 for the photography bundle, which looks OK compared to the US $9.99. 

In the UK, the price is roughly equivalent to the US $9.99 price, plus local taxes (Irish taxes: don't ask, it's to do with EU law).  Nearly all suppliers manage to charge European customers more than US customers, but not in this case. 

• 9. Re: Why should I pay for CC and get less functionality than an Apple user?
                          Keith_Reeder Level 4

Simon G E Garrett wrote:

If you don't like it: put up with it, go somewhere else or do without.

There ya go - The Real World.

JustClem wrote:

Life's too short to waste fretting about "why, Adobe..?" when there's neither an obligation or a likelihood that the question will be answered. If you don't like what Adobe's doing, you take your money elsewhere.

• 10. Re: Why should I pay for CC and get less functionality than an Apple user?
                            Bob Somrak Level 5

JustClem wrote:

I don’t think 120 US for a year is bad if I can use my software after the subscription is over but they disable develop not just updates. Also I am not thinking of the annual price but the 50 more years that I will be paying to have it operational.   Bring on the competition I say.

Just BUY the perpetual license to Lr6 when it comes out and keep the same computer, camera, and operating system and run Lr6 for 50 years.  Keeping up in higher end digital photography is expensive and updating your computers, cameras and software for 50 years is part of the game. 

• 11. Re: Why should I pay for CC and get less functionality than an Apple user?
                              Keith_Reeder Level 4

Bob Somrak wrote:

Just BUY the perpetual license to Lr6 when it comes out and keep the same computer, camera, and operating system and run Lr6 for 50 years.  In.digital photography updating your computers and cameras for 50 years will probably be way more expensive than Lr for that same time period.

And Adobe - uniquely - even makes that possible as a long term strategy (in a camera update context) by providing the free DNG Converter: and people still whine about Adobe being unfair and unreasonable to its customers...