12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 8:33 AM by *Andy7

LR5 is glitching and SLOW...help!

*Andy7 Level 1

Not sure what's going on with my LR5. I recently decided to make the dive and get LR5 and photoshop. I'm on the cloud plan...or whatever, so it's supposed to update automatically right? Why am I having so many problems? I thought I was supposed to be getting Good photo editing programs....*sigh. My computer is a Windows 7 laptop...is it not able to handle the programs maybe?

• 1. Re: LR5 is glitching and SLOW...help!
          johnhawk666 Level 3

A modern computer should certainly be capable of running Lr, provided it has enough RAM, which it probably has. Please tell us the model and specs so that we can check.

Can you give a more detailed list of the type of problems you're having?

• 2. Re: LR5 is glitching and SLOW...help!
            *Andy7 Level 1

Well it's a Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5300 laptop. Like I said I'm new to LR and when I got it I imported my pictures and it just acted weird. It runs really slow, just switching from the Library module to the develop module makes it kinda freeze for a second while the little round blue circle spins like it's loading. Just selecting a brush or sometimes even using it makes it kinda lock up. Sometimes light room will like glitch and the whole page disapears for a second and I can see the tab I have open behind it. I thought maybe I had importd too many photos (like 7000) so I took some off and now only have ~4000 pics on it. I don't have a External hard drive though. So maybe it's just too much for my computer? Idk, I know I need to get an external hard drive Anyway to back up all my photos, I'm just not all that savy on what I need. :/ But I still didn't think it should be freezing up every little bit.

• 3. Re: LR5 is glitching and SLOW...help!
              johnhawk666 Level 3

Your computers hard drive, with 320 GB as standard, should be large enough to hold 7,000 photos, so that's unlikely to be the cause of the slow down.

Is this a Cloud installation of Lr or a standalone one? Did it run okay straight after installation and before you loaded the catalogue?

• 4. Re: LR5 is glitching and SLOW...help!
                *Andy7 Level 1

I did go through the cloud installation as this is the cloud subscription plan. I purchased a 12 month plan for LR and PS. Idk it was kinda slow even from the get go. It keeps saying (not responding) when I'm in the middle of editing. It takes forever to edit, cuz it's so slow. I got this to make my editing better and easier, but I'm getting so frustrated I just want it to be normal.

• 5. Re: LR5 is glitching and SLOW...help!
                  dj_paige Level 9

What camera took these photos? Are they raw or jpg?

Are you creating 1:1 previews at import, or not?

• 6. Re: LR5 is glitching and SLOW...help!
                    *Andy7 Level 1

So Ok, I called the adobe support and talked to Someone. From what I understood from the guy, through his accent. (Hate that companies do that, it'd be much more helpful to talk to someone with a similar dialect.) Basically, I think I need a better processor and perhaps more RAM. Not sure how to go about that...any ideas?? Is this like a part that I have to buy and have installed?? or yeah...where do I go from here to fix that...?

• 7. Re: LR5 is glitching and SLOW...help!
                      johnhawk666 Level 3

Hmm, I can't really agree that you need a scorchingly hot performing computer. Better and more experienced people than me have tested Lr on many different rigs throughout the years, and the main conclusion that is generally reached is that like you one you have should work fine; it may not be quite as fast as some $5,000

computer, but it should perform all Lr's functions smoothly and without the troubles you are having. The only caveat found is that you need enough RAM, and you should put 4GB in 32 bit machines and 8-16 GB in 64 bit machines; I should have asked you how much you had in your Satellite.

• 8. Re: LR5 is glitching and SLOW...help!
                        *Andy7 Level 1

Okay in my control panel>system this is what it says:

Processor: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.30 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.60 GB Usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System

• 9. Re: LR5 is glitching and SLOW...help!
                          *Andy7 Level 1

How does one "get" more RAM?

• 10. Re: LR5 is glitching and SLOW...help!
                            Bob Somrak Level 5

Buy It.

Down load the manual here Satellite C655D-S5300 Support | Toshiba look a the memory replacement section  Some computers have a maximum amount of memory they will support.  You can check to see how much yours will support by using the memory checker at Crucial Home Page | United States (USD)  and use their memory checker.

Open the back to see how many slots are full.

Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 2.15.22 PM.png

• 11. Re: LR5 is glitching and SLOW...help!
                              dj_paige Level 9

*Andy7 wrote:

So Ok, I called the adobe support and talked to Someone. From what I understood from the guy, through his accent. (Hate that companies do that, it'd be much more helpful to talk to someone with a similar dialect.) Basically, I think I need a better processor and perhaps more RAM. Not sure how to go about that...any ideas?? Is this like a part that I have to buy and have installed?? or yeah...where do I go from here to fix that...?

I love the way you replied to my message and didn't answer any of my questions, which may (or may not) provide some useful information that can help us solve the matter.

• 12. Re: LR5 is glitching and SLOW...help!
                                *Andy7 Level 1

sorry dj, after talking to adobe customer help, I  took my computer over to a friend who is computer savy, he works for a computer company and checked some things out and told me my cpu was way over worked and showed me how bad it was spiking. My processor is only a 1.3 Gz, the requirements for photoshop to run says it needs 2. So it adds up. My camera is a Canon Rebel T3i, just jpeg right now, and  not sure on the 1:1 previews at import thing....