5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2008 12:13 AM by QueryDawg

CFLOGIN and Session variables

dichi66
      Why does CFLOGIN have a separate "idleTimeout" from the Session variable timeout? This seems like it could be the source of problems and (for all practical purposes) requires developers to make sure that the two are set to the same value (and even then what guarantee is there that they would timeout at the same time). For example, if the session timeout is set to less than the cflogin timeout, the session variables could timeout while the user is still logged in. This effectively makes the cflogin tag useless. It would be better for one to simply check for the existence of a session variable to determine if a user is still logged in.

Am I missing some signficiant purpose of the cflogin tag?
        • 1. CFLOGIN and Session variables
          BKBK Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          > This effectively makes the cflogin tag useless. It would be better for one to simply check for the existence of a session variable to determine if a user is still logged in.
          I don't hink so. Don't forget that login status can also be stored in a cookie by means of loginStorage. To determine whether a user is still logged in, use the function
          getAuthUser().

• 2. Re: CFLOGIN and Session variables
            dichi66 Level 1
            Yep, you are right. I've been using GetAuthUser(). The problem (and I'd like to hear about how people handle this), is that GetAuthUser() can expire independently of the session variables, particularly if using NTLM or LDAP.

For example, set the session timeout to 1 minute. CFLOGIN (and I assume GetAuthUser() also) will report that the user is still logged in. This seems like a ridiculous situation. But consider the case where using NTLM or LDAP for authentication. One can be logged in as long as the browser is open, while the session variable often are given a shorter limit.

How do people handle this? Do they use J2EE sessions?
            • 3. CFLOGIN and Session variables
              GetAuthUser() can expire independently of the session
              I think that that is desired behaviour. The function is not directly related to session. It is related to cflogin and, in turn, login details can be stored in the session scope. The timeout logic is then

timed-out-session implies timed-out-login.

When the session expires, so does login, and getAuthUser() returns an empty string. However, session outlives login.

So, the value you set for the sessiontimeout value should be higher than the idletimeout value in the cflogin tag. You may set it lower, but that will achieve nothing.

• 4. Re: CFLOGIN and Session variables
                One can be logged in as long as the browser is open, while the session
                variable often are given a shorter limit.

Possible. The default loginStorage is cookie, not session.

• 5. Re: CFLOGIN and Session variables
                  QueryDawg
                  I've been researching a similar issue and even though this topic is well over a year old I figured I would chime in.

I don't know if this behavior is a "bug" or just part of the design but I agree with dichi66. It is typical to associate a user's login status with their session, so placing <cflogin> and session variables in two different "idle contexts" seems counter intuitive. Granted <cflogin> has been around for years so it's either working for most developers or developers are simply not using it in lieu of "rolling-their-own" security logic.

I've also noticed the session scope and <cflogin> have two different concepts on what constitutes "idle time". It appears <cflogin> requires an actual page refresh to remain active while the session scope simply requires server activity. With a greater usage of technologies such as Ajax I see this becoming an larger issue.

For example, I have an application that relies heavily on Ajax with a ColdFusion session timeout of 20 minutes. I use a "keepAlive" JavaScript timer that calls the server every 15 minutes to keep the session active. However, because no page reloads occur the <cflogin> times out 20 minutes after the page loads regardless of the fact there is plenty of server activity occurring. I view this as a problem. To get around the issue, I simply created a CFC function that does a <cflogout> then another <cflogin> resetting all the user info and roles. I can then call this function from my "KeepAlive" CFC so every 15 minutes when JavaScript calls the server it also resets the <cflogin> for another 20 minutes.

Seems like a hack but it works... Don't know if this info is helpful at all but there you have it. :)