3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2015 12:16 PM by psion99

H264 playback question on Macs

shooternz Level 6

Windows7, CC2014 8.1

Anyone know of any issues with H.264 file playback on Macs?

* Especially if file was created on a PC thru' AME?

Strange issue I am encountering is these files play perfectly on my NLE and my Laptop...but my Mac colleagues (who I am collaborating with) ...have stuttering images.

I have never had a cross platform issue previously.

• 1. Re: H264 playback question on Macs
          psion99 Level 1

Try changing your sequence settings so that the:

Editing Mode is set to "Custom"

Preview files: "Quicktime"

Codec:  "Apple Pro Res"

Sometimes H264 gets jittery due to the default preview settings for H264 media.

• 2. Re: H264 playback question on Macs
            shooternz Level 6

You cant "do" Apple Pro Res on a PC.(apart from edit it)

But mainly..the issue is not noticeable  in my sequence or system players.  Only on  others (MAcs)

I just had a call from one of them that they just installed VLC Player...and the files run as they do for me. (Perfectly smooth)

Issue is not solved though if PremPro ( Mac vers) cant play and edit them.

• 3. Re: H264 playback question on Macs
              psion99 Level 1

Setting the preview files in your sequence setting is not permanent.  The

Mac users can set their preview to whatever codec runs smoothly for them

and the PC users can have their own choice of codec.  Or you could try

choosing the same codec for both machine that works cross-platform.

Either way, that's the first thing I'd attempt if I was troubleshooting it.