10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2015 5:02 AM by dj_paige

Importing

Philipmcgouran Level 1

Hello

Im scratching my head with the import into Lightroom.

I made a mess of an import in terms of naming and location so I decided to start from scratch, but was left with a greyed out file on the right hand side Named (Sarah bump and Lila) in the B photo drive.

Whats confusing is its greyed out and I cant remove it and it doesn't exist on the actual drive.

Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 21.53.57.png

Any ideas?

Thanks

Philip

• 1. Re: Importing
          dj_paige Level 9

If photos are grey in the Import dialog box, they have previously been imported into Lightroom, and so you shouldn't import them a 2nd time.

Go to the Library Module, find your photos there, and then perform whatever tasks you want with them.

• 2. Re: Importing
            bhousto90 Level 3

Just under the Destination section header there is a checkbox beside "Into Subfolder"

Uncheck it and it will not create the new sub-folder

The folder name is greyed-out in the folder tree as it is a 'new/not yet created folder'

• 3. Re: Importing
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Once any image or number of images are imported you can move them around to a different folder from the Library module.

If you really want to Re-Import them you will have to first Remove the original imported images from the catalog. Even if you used Finder to Delete from your hard drive LR still sees them as already imported. You have to use LR to remove them from the catalog.

• 4. Re: Importing
                dj_paige Level 9

Shootistbond007 wrote:

Once any image or number of images are imported you can move them around to a different folder from the Library module.

If you really want to Re-Import them you will have to first Remove the original imported images from the catalog. Even if you used Finder to Delete from your hard drive LR still sees them as already imported. You have to use LR to remove them from the catalog.

I wouldn't recommend this. You lose any edits you made and any metadata that you added.

Better to never re-import.

• 5. Re: Importing

dj_paige wrote:

Shootistbond007 wrote:

I wouldn't recommend this. You lose any edits you made and any metadata that you added.

If he just imported them he hasn't made any changes. Then nothing is lost by re-importing them. Or he could simply un-check the option to Don't Import suspected duplicates.

• 6. Re: Importing
                    Philipmcgouran Level 1

Hi

Thanks for the reply its been very helpful,but I’m still a little confused. I deleted the catalogue form the left hand side but on the right I have a folder that is greyed out in B Photo Drive_Philip and Jen, called (Lexie paddys day hat) How do I delete this folder?

kind regards

Philip

• 7. Re: Importing
                      Philipmcgouran Level 1

Thank you very much for your reply Im starting to get my head around it!

• 8. Re: Importing

Philipmcgouran wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the reply its been very helpful,but I’m still a little confused. I deleted the catalogue form the left hand side but on the right I have a folder that is greyed out in B Photo Drive_Philip and Jen, called (Lexie paddys day hat) How do I delete this folder?

kind regards

Philip

Use Finder to delete that folder on your B Photo drive folder.

• 9. Re: Importing
                          dj_paige Level 9

Shootistbond007 wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

Shootistbond007 wrote:

If he just imported them he hasn't made any changes. Then nothing is lost by re-importing them. Or he could simply un-check the option to Don't Import suspected duplicates.

Better that users get the idea of never re-importing, and especially that they should not try to have the same photos imported twice by by unchecking the "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates". Re-importing never solves problems, and almost always makes things worse.

• 10. Re: Importing
                            dj_paige Level 9

In reply #1, I said:

Go to the Library Module, find your photos there, and then perform whatever tasks you want with them.

Philipmcgouran, did you try this?