3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2015 9:15 AM by Rick Gerard

How do I use my ProRes .mov file in Ae?

PotatoMoustache

Hi! I'm a newbie on using Adobe After Effects and have gotten a Graphic track - ProRes 444 and is a .mov file which I'm supposed to use in my project.

I assume i'm able to edit the text on the video directly in the program.

How would this be done?

Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: How do I use my ProRes .mov file in Ae?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

that's nonsense. Your video only contains pixels, not editable data. If text needs to be changed, it needs to be erased or painted over first before putting new text in place.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I use my ProRes .mov file in Ae?
            bogiesan Level 4

You'll need the original file form the application that built the graphic track, not the movie. And you will need a copy of the exact software in which this graphic track was built if you want to perform edits on the text objects.

• 3. Re: How do I use my ProRes .mov file in Ae?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Video files are nothing but frames comprised of pixels. You can add things like links or sub titles to various media players using metadata, but the video image is not layered, does not contain editable elements, and is only changeable through a process of adding additional image information to the video with an app like After Effects, Premiere Pro, iMovie, Microsoft Movie Maker or a zillion other apps that will let you edit or add things to your video. Once you render to a video format, that file is just a set and permanent as if you had printed a jpeg on paper. The only way to change it is to add something to it or cut it up or wash something off.

1 person found this helpful