25 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2015 6:31 AM by TheoRichel

Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer

TheoRichel Level 1

In PE 9 the preview of my clips only show the wave of the audio.

I have reinstalled PE9 but it makes no difference. Startup is incredibly slow, it easily takes 10 minutes for a project to open..

I have tried to delete the prefs file at appdata\roaming\adobe\prem elements\9.0\Premiere elements prefs  but it makes no difference (is this the right file? it has no extension).

On the net there is a tip to click ctrl-alt-shift and then click to start up PE, whioch then supposedly gives you an option to delete the prefs, but I dont think anything happens.

Extra strange is that it all used to work all right, suddenly the clips were audio only. I cannot pipoint a change on my system that could the the cause.It happened after I worked a lot in Organizer.

BTW My program is on C, the data are on D.

Does Organizer treat clips differently then PE itself?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
          A.T. Romano Level 7

TheoRichel

Premiere Elements 9 on what computer operating system? Are you working from the 9.0.1 Update of the program?

Are the current problem files the exact same files that were used  in the past or are these files new but from the same camera with the same

recording settings? Depending on the scenario, please look at same files that worked before now in the present set up.

When you import a file into the Premiere Elements Editor, a copy of it is automatically placed in the Elements Organizer.  The Elements Organizer and its player

can have problems different from that of the Premiere Elements. Generalizing, the Premiere Elements Editor is where things work and the Elements Organizer has

a unique problem set.

What are the properties of the files involved with your present issue? Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements

9.0/9.0.1?

Among other things, please determine the results from importing your file into the Premiere Elements Editor and what is copied to the Elements Organizer during that

event.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
            TheoRichel Level 1

ATR, thanks!

I am on W7 64 Pro.

Yes the files that this happens with have not changed. It happened with PE 9.01 and now again with PE 9.

QuickTime 776 is installed.

The mov-file has the following specs: Video: MPEG2 Video 1920x1080 25fps 50000kbps [V: English [eng] (mpeg2 4:2:2, yuv422p, 1920x1080, 50000 kb/s)]

It plays allright in

1. the player MPC-HC

2. Quick Time 7

3. Premiere Elements 9 Organizer

But it causes problems in:

4. Windows media 12 (only audio)

5. Premiere Elements Editor 9.0 (only audio)

When I import a file with the Editor, it indeed gets copied to the Organizer. Then it shows video in the organizer, but not in the editor. I see nothing special.

The problem happened sort of sudden. I had been working in the Organizer a lot (ranking clips with stars ) and for a long time the clips just played allright in the editor and then that stopped.

Meanwhile I have deleted the caches, but that makes no difference either.

• 3. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
              A.T. Romano Level 7

TheoRichel

If you have not tried the following, please see if they will work for you to get video and audio components in the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Editor instead of just audio.

1. Delete the BadDrivers.txt file.

Found

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

2. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if necessary, the whole 9.0 Folder in which it exists

Found

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If necessary, delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which it exists.

Again, make sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                TheoRichel Level 1

ATR, thanks

I did as you said, and it seemed to improve things. Clips showed video again and the organizer did - only upon request, not in the background - update thumbnails again. Then after a restart the whole scene deteriorated. Updating thumbnails in Organizer showed hourglasses, that stayed on forever and in the editor, the thumbnails - partially stayed blank.

Then I decided to uninstall the whole of PE9 and reinstall to 9.01, clean the registry and so. Did not touch the Catalogs though.

When restarting PE now the splash screen disappears after clicking 'open project' and no file selector shows up, but after five minutes I am presented with PE9 in a modus where no project file is loaded. Only then when I click open do I get the file selector.

Then opens the project, but all the clips show 'Media offline'. When I do  Replace Footage I get a message that 'The selected file cannot be linked because its type audio does not match the original audio/video.'.

Also when I try to reconnect a clip I get the message 'The file already exists in tthe Catalog'. (but in PE Editor it doesnt play)

The Organizer seems to work all right now, allthough I do not have the impression that the updating of thumbnails is taking place in the background. It only happens when I select a file and click the command.

It looks like the communication between the Organizer and the Editor is wanting.

Thanks for your time.

• 5. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                  TheoRichel Level 1

Forgot to mention that after the reinstall I Repaired the Catalog (it did find NO errors) and Optimized it. But it makes no difference.

• 6. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

TheoRichel

Thanks for the update.

About the Elements Organizer 9....

instead of or in supplemental torepairing and optimizing the Elements Organizer catalog, consider deleting the Elements Organizer settings file named psa.prt.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you delete or disable by renaming psa.prf to psa.prfOLD.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete

path cited.

Since you have done an uninstall reinstall since we wrote last, please do another BadDrivers.Txt file deletion as described in post 3.

About Missing Media....

When you import media into a project, all you get are copies of the originals which are found saved to a hard drive location. But the copies in the

project need to trace back to those specific originals at their hard drive save location. Two of the ways that you can break that connection

between the copies in the project and the originals on the hard drive

a. move, delete, or rename files/folders after the project save close

b. if the drive letter of the storage drive has changed for some reason or the drive should malfunction.

First try the "Where is the file.....?" message to make the reconnect. Each message clearly says which file it is looking for and that is

the file type and name you must select. Replace Footage should have the advantage of replacing the footage and retaining the edits of what

you had in the project.

Important:

Do you know for sure where the originals now exist on the hard drive?

And, are you pointing the "Where is the file _____?" or Replace Footage to that specific original?

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                      TheoRichel Level 1

Thanks again.

I did what you asked, but no difference.

Yes I know for sure that the files are there. either when I double click on an offline file (the audio files are NOT offline, they do play) to reconnect or select replace footage. I keep getting the message that ''The selected file cannot be linked because its type audio does not match the original audio/video.'.'

And it apparently also works the other way. When I now try to add a new clip, I can go to the file on disk, select it, and in PE Editor I then get the right thumbnail, but when I want to preview it, it says: Offline.

• 8. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                        TheoRichel Level 1

PE Editor as well as organizer are running now. So I decide to find out if the same problems occur with a brand new project.

I am not even allowed to create one 'Failed to perform the database operation as the Organizer database is busy. Please try again later'.

I click OK and then PE is shut down.

It is tempting to think that something is wrong with my system, but these are really the only problems I have. Other programs work allright.

• 9. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

TheoRichel

Thanks for the update.

Time for a recap....

At the present time can you import a file with video and audio from the hard drive into the Premiere Elements Editor and get the video and audio to play back in the Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1 Editor's Edit area monitor?

Also, when you open the Elements Organizer 9, can you import files into the Elements Organizer 9 and get thumbnails with or without image in each of the thumbnails? Does the Elements Organizer 9 player work to play back the files represented in the thumbnails?

Are both Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1 and Elements Organizer 9 not working at all at this point in either of the 2 questions above?

Regarding

I am not even allowed to create one 'Failed to perform the database operation as the Organizer database is busy. Please try again later

Where were you and what were you doing when you got that message?

With regard to missing media

Where are the missing files stored....where specifically on Local Disk C location or external hard drive or other?

Looking forward to the recap to guide our path to a solution.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                            TheoRichel Level 1

Thanks ATR,

Recap:

Organizer works allright

PE Editor all .mov- files are Offline. Reconnecting results in the message that the fiules' type (audio) does not match the original file's type (audio and video)..

'Replacing the footage' results in the same message. Apparently it expects an audio file which of course it isnt.

When through 'Get media' I import a video-clip it displays as audio (and as audio it plays allright).. So no thumbnail.

I meant to say that I couldnt create a new PROJECT when I got the 'Failed to perform the database operation...' message.

Program Files are all on C, projects are on K-drive.

• 11. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                              TheoRichel Level 1

I should mention that a WMV-file imports and plays without any problem.

• 12. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                                TheoRichel Level 1

I may have solved this. And it has to do with the location. I was under the impression that it was necessary for the PE9 program files to be on C - whis is where they are - and that the data could be elsewhere. So thus far I had a folder with the raw video files on drive K and a folder on drive K in which the project-files were located. That was the problematic situation. Creating a new project on drive C seems to have solved the problem. All files show thumbnails, and they play as they should, both in Organizer and in PE Editor.

• 13. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

TheoRichel

Thanks for the updates with the great news that all is solved after you addressed the matter of drive location for video files and folders.

Great job of sorting through the troubleshooting details to gain your success.

What I have been doing is pointing the project file and scratch discs to the Libraries\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\ (9.0 in your case).

See new project dialog for setting project file save and Premiere Elements Edit Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks/ for setting the scratch discs to the same place. Sometimes, I will point them all to an external hard drive (format NTFS) which is my Drive E. I have 800 GB free hard drive space at either of those locations.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 14. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                                    TheoRichel Level 1

Hello,

Thanks, but I cannot entirely follow what you say about the project file and the scratch disk.

But after a day of pleasantly editing, after restarting the computer - reason just had to be away for a while. no problems - the project again takes a long time to open and

all .mov-files are offline (not the audio or wmv-files

I cannot start Organizer anymore (Elements Organizer 9.0 has stopped working)

Trying to reconnect/replace files gives the old message about the file not having the expected audio/video OR that the codec is not installed OR it only shows the audio wave.

Fyi: I check my registry every time at boot and no more then 1 or 2 errors of a minor kind are usually followed. I think it is something in the .mov files that causes this, but I have worked with them a year earlier without any problems.

These files are XDCam 422 type from a Sony Camera and one needs the XD-file converter from Calibrated software to make them viewable. I do have that of course.

• 15. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

TheoRichel

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news was not better, but let us see what we can do.

What specific Sony camera is this "XDCam 422" coming from? And direct from the camera, what is the video compression

and file extension? Is the file extension (container/wrapper format) .mov or something else like MXF? I wondering if you are converting the source to obtain the .mov video file that you are actually bringing into the Premiere Elements project. Looking into the conversion method and its overall settings may give us some insights into the problems.

If I know the name of the Sony, I can try to find and download a sample for me to test on my Premiere Elements 9 and later versions. But, are the originals using a MXF file extension? Since MXF files are not compatible with Premiere Elements, you must be converting these originals to .mov files. Then it becomes important for us to know what type of .mov files....what are properties of these .mov files?

But what is confusing is the time that you were able to work with your file in Premiere Elements only recently. Reflecting back, can you see anything that you have changed related to before and after?

If you wanted to send a sample of what you are importing into Premiere Elements, I would offer to look at them in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and later versions. You could do the sending by posting a Dropbox link or a Google Drive link to the file.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                                        TheoRichel Level 1

My Event Log gives the following event linked to the refusal of Organizer to start:

Log Name:  Application
                                        Source:    Application Error
                                        Date:      12-3-2015 22:02:21
                                        Event ID:  1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:     Error
                                        Keywords:  Classic
                                        User:      N/A
                                        Computer:  VENOM3

Description:

Faulting application name: PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe, version: 9.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ca3a3b5

Faulting module name: PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe, version: 9.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ca3a3b5

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0018f549

Faulting process id: 0x1300

Faulting application start time: 0x01d05d07d222ed55

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 9 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 9 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe

Report Id: 129a40d6-c8fb-11e4-b37e-20cf30f2fd34

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />
                                        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
                                        <Level>2</Level>
                                        <Task>100</Task>
                                        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
                                        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-03-12T21:02:21.000000000Z" />
                                        <EventRecordID>127857</EventRecordID>
                                        <Channel>Application</Channel>
                                        <Computer>VENOM3</Computer>
                                        <Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe</Data>
                                        <Data>9.0.0.0</Data>
                                        <Data>4ca3a3b5</Data>
                                        <Data>PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe</Data>
                                        <Data>9.0.0.0</Data>
                                        <Data>4ca3a3b5</Data>
                                        <Data>c0000005</Data>
                                        <Data>0018f549</Data>
                                        <Data>1300</Data>
                                        <Data>01d05d07d222ed55</Data>
                                        <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 9 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe</Data>
                                        <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 9 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe</Data>
                                        <Data>129a40d6-c8fb-11e4-b37e-20cf30f2fd34</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

• 17. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                                          TheoRichel Level 1

I am not on Dropbox, but on OneDrive and I am still finding out how to give you access to such a mov-file.

Meanwhile another strange thing happened.

With 'Super' I converted one of the .mov files to a .DV file. It plays fine with Quicktime, but the Get Media File Selector of PE9 doesnt even SEE the file with the DV extension (regardless on which drive I put it).

• 18. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                                            TheoRichel Level 1

BTW The camera that this is recorded with is a Sony EX3. Codec is XDCam HD 422 (seldom 420)

• 19. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

TheoRichel

Thanks for the additional information.

If you can get Super to give you an H.264.mp4 file, I would go with that instead of a file with the file extension of .DV.

Please remind me what is the file extension used for the video compression of the footage direct from the Sony EX3? Is it MXF, MOV, or MP4?

Now here is the rest of the story - very curious....

I just found online a sample ProRes422.mov file (said to use the apch video compression).

I imported that file into my Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit without issue - video and audio.

Then I made a copy of the ProRes422.mov and changed its file extension in the file name from .mov to .DV.

The ProRes422.DV imported into my Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit without issue - video and audio.

So, we are in a great place for the comparison and yet the results are different.

Nonetheless, try for the Super with H.264.mp4 instead of a file with the .DV file extension.

And, please double check the integrity of your QuickTime install.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                                                TheoRichel Level 1

Thanks again.

It gets stranger.

I boot my pc, I read your latest message.

I start Super and convert the files as you say

I start PE9 and the first suprise is that it goes fast and the sercond surprise is that no file is offline anymore. Everything plays fine.

The File Selector now sees all file types.

The newly converted files play fine as well although I may should have done something about the settings because the resolution is bad.

Organizer still immediately stops at start up.

Then I restarted the computer to find out if it stays, and yes, the files still play and Organizer stilll doesnt work.

The files that come from the camera are MP4

So for an unknown reason part of the problems seem over.

• 21. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                                                  TheoRichel Level 1

And there is some timing factor involved. PE9 has been running for maybey 2 hours now and the reactions to my starting up Organizer are different each time and tending to improvement. Ik looks like the catalog is slowly coming out of the fog. While Organizer as a program still fails, for instance in the editor slowly the tags become available. First even the tag list wsnt clickable, now it is. One tag does indeed showe the clips, another one doesnt (yet??)

Maybe this is relevant:

This computer used to be part of a domain, but the domain doesnt exist anymore. I used a program to migrate my profile to a local one. This has gone rather well, but one never knows. PE9 was installed when it was a domain computer and after the migration I have reinstalled it. It could be that it needs some much time because it keeps on searching for something that was in the original domain. I'll scvan the registry for something like that.

• 22. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                                                    TheoRichel Level 1

The problem is still as big as it was I have been able to work one day last week, but after a restart every clip was offline again, clips were interpreted as audio only and reconnecting and replacing the footage doesnt work. Deleting prefs, badfiles.txt, organizer prefs, it makes no difference. Deleting the thumbnail cache was succesful once, but then each thumbnail has to be rebuild which takes a lot of time. Elsewhere I see other people struggling with similar problems as well ( in later versions) , but no solutions and Adobe apparently has lost interest. I upgraded once from PE 4 to PE 7 to PE 9, but never because of the attractiveness of the new features, but always in the hope that this version would be better. This is the result.

• 23. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

TheoRichel

Thanks for the update. It is particularly unsettling to see improvement and then watch it regress.

But in the spirit of never give up, let us see what we can do to find the path to improved workflow..

1. Elements Organizer.

The Super converts to H.264.mp4 seem to have improved your Premiere Elements workflow considerably at first. And, every time you import your

H.264.mp4 file into a project, a copy is automatically sent to the Elements Organizer. Before the Super convert, your files with the original format

were doing the same as the Super's H.264.mp4.

a. Is there a possibility that the copies of the original formatted files were helping to mess up the Elements Organizer? Have you deleted them

from the Elements Organizer catalog so that all you have in it are copies of the Super H.264.mp4?

b. Have you Optimized or Repaired the Elements Organizer catalog? Have you created a new Elements Organizer catalog? Have you deleted

the Elements Organizer settings file named psa.prf?

2. Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Editor.

At the present time, where are you storing the Super H.264.mp4 files - Local Disk C location or external hard drive (formatted NTFS)?

3. Have we discussed you looking at the tryout of 13 to determine if the problems exist there also? Again, I am not suggesting that you buy 13, just use

the tryout for troubleshooting purposes. I hesitate to suggest that due to the recent spark of function in 9 that you experienced around the 15th.

Reflecting on that, do you see any changes in the computer environment that could have contributed to that? If you go to Control Panel and user accounts, do you confirm that you are working from a local user account with administrative privileges. As far as I can understand, problems with domain account existed at least until 13.. The 13.1 Update "may" have improved that situation...not sure.

Please review and consider....do not forget to watch out for pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files that can drag you computer hard drive space down. Please excuse any repeats of questions.

Thanks.

ATR

• 24. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                                                        TheoRichel Level 1

Thanks.

Meanwhile I have reinstalled PE9 again and created a new project (based on a Saved as file from the former setup). That one ran perfect, so I left my computer on for two days and could work. Then I restarted and was back where this all began, files offline and only recognized as audio.

I found this thread: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)  in which a Colin Brougham suggests the use of a file XDCamFix. I ran it and got the error: Incompatible sample format 's32' for codec 'pcm_s161e', auto selecting format s16'

The thread is old however and Brougham doesnt seem to be active anymore. I do not know if you could shed a light here.

• 25. Re: Clips only show audio in PE9, but run fine in Organizer
                                                          TheoRichel Level 1

Well after several days of struggle I am a lot further (and have to start anew).

Contrary to what I feared, the XDCamfix program worked wonderful. The error message was unimportant, de clips were visible and STAYED visible after a restart. Only problem was that they were originally in .mxf format which PE9 cant read, so I renamed the lot to MPG.

Then I opened the projects .PREL-file and the catalogs database, both with Notepad++ to replace all occurrences of .mov with .mpg. It worked, but not good, the project thereafter opened,but very slowly. It played allright, but when I tried to save it I got an error about Datawriter.cpp-226 (

Not much to find about that on the net.) and the program crashed.

Emptying temp folders, removing preferences, deleting caches,reinstalling PE9, it all made no difference. .

I decided to accept my defeat here and to rebuild the project from scratch. I was thinking of that anyway, because for the first project, I had accepted the standard settings for my HD-clips. I never was satisfied with it (black bar around it), but the change settings option at the start of a new project are incredibly complicated. So I selected a setting that looked allright, and inserted the first clip. Then it complained that the clip format was wrong and offered me to choose another setting. It didnt however, it automatically changed the setting to precisely what I want. Wonderful, but what an unnecessary torture before that.

So I am back on the road again, and there is however one question: I would like to have a simple list of the order of clips as they werein the first failed project. Is there a way to distill the timeline from the prel-file?

Also I was used to the red bar above my clips and the necessity to render frequently. Is that not necessary anymore, now that I have apparently the right match for my clips?