9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2015 2:28 PM by A.T. Romano

Can Premiere Elements NOT re-encode a video file

OC Photoworx Level 1

I want to take 200 HD camcorder files and put them on a Blu-ray disc with a basic menu structure.

I know Premiere Elements can do the menu structure.  My question: Is it able to use the video files without re-encoding them?  (The source files are 1280x720, H.264/AVC, 29.97fps.)  I can't test this using the trial version because it watermarks the video.

If PE can't do it, am I overlooking some simple way of doing Blu-ray menus using the Creative Suite products?  I have used Premiere Pro and Encore to author BDs, but that involved setting up every element of the menu structure by hand.

• 1. Re: Can Premiere Elements NOT re-encode a video file
          A.T. Romano Level 7

OC Photoworx

Consider...

Your Timeline content will need to be encoded to the Blu-ray disc format on the Blu-ray disc. So, I am not seeing how you are expecting that AVCHD (1280 x 720) format to get on the Blu-ray disc in Blu-ray disc format (1920 x 1080) without encoding.

Premiere Elements (any version) does not do a burn to data disc for any disc.

Another matter about Premiere Elements (any version), destination burn to Blu-ray, and Timeline menu markers.....if you need to use Timeline stop markers for a multi movie Timeline, be aware that stop markers are not recognized in the playback of the Premiere Elements Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can Premiere Elements NOT re-encode a video file
            OC Photoworx Level 1

Thank you for the quick response!

While Blu-ray does support 1280x720, your note prompted me to look further.  1280x720 is supported at several frame rates, but not 29.97fps.  So I am stuck with re-encoding for this project.

I am still interested in knowing if PE would skip the encoding step if the video input files were in a Blu-ray compatible format.

I am confused by your comment that "Premiere Elements (any version) does not do a burn to data disc for any disc."  Premiere Elements 13 gives me the option of burning a Blu-ray disc.  (Also DVD.)  Am I missing something?

Regards,

Ted

• 3. Re: Can Premiere Elements NOT re-encode a video file
              whsprague Level 4

OC Photoworx wrote:

My question: Is it able to use the video files without re-encoding them?  (The source files are 1280x720, H.264/AVC, 29.97fps.) 

You're question is about what most call "smart rendering".  Google for "smart rendering video editor" or "smart rendering".   Of the 30 or so NLEs on the market, only a very few consider it a goal or feature.  The concept of smart rendering is appealing but, in practice, it gets in the way of everything from creating menus to transitions. 

• 4. Re: Can Premiere Elements NOT re-encode a video file
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted

Thanks for the reply.

I am confused by your comment that "Premiere Elements (any version) does not do a burn to data disc for any disc."  Premiere Elements 13 gives me the option of burning a Blu-ray disc.  (Also DVD.)  Am I missing something?

I wanted to point out that your Timeline could include File type = MPEG2 Blu-ray or H.264 Blu-ray and that cannot be put on a Blu-ray disc in as such...data disc (file on disc). Those File types can be put on a Blu-ray ray disc in Premiere Elements burn to only in the Blu-ray disc format's unique structure, with a specific disc file system. Please refer to "Directory and file structure" in following

Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All the Premiere Elements Blu-ray burn to are for display 1920 x 1080 and none for 1280 x 720.

As for

I am still interested in knowing if PE would skip the encoding step if the video input files were in a Blu-ray compatible format.

I think that Premiere Elements would encode in that situation. No skipping of the encoding. Please see one example

How do I export without re-encoding? [PrEl 11]

Are you thinking in terms of ripping/copying the video file of an already produced Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc to obtain this

Blu-ray compatible format - such as the Blu-ray disc format's video file 00000.m2ts found in the BDMV Folder/STREAM Folder?

ATR

• 5. Re: Can Premiere Elements NOT re-encode a video file
                  OC Photoworx Level 1

I'm creating a Blu-ray video from HD camcorder files, so no data files, nor ripping involved.

I've set up a test using PE13 trial edition.  Given the glacial progress of the output (4% after 39 minutes), I conclude PE is not able to take advantage of this system's video card GPUs.  It is making good use of all eight cores (90%) and I'm glad both the source and destination drives are SSDs.

Even so, with a projected rendering time of 16 hours (on a pretty powerful computer) for 3 hrs, 41 minutes of video, I'm still left wanting a better solution for the task.

Thank you for your assistance!

• 6. Re: Can Premiere Elements NOT re-encode a video file
                    OC Photoworx Level 1

Thanks, whsprague.

I have learned today that what I want isn't possible; the source videos are not Blu-ray compliant.  Since other projects have involved Blu-ray compliant video files, I'll take your suggestion about looking for smart-rendering features.  Also for CUDA-aware programs, since my experience with Premiere Pro and Encore have shown what a huge difference it can make to bring GPUs to bear on video processing.

• 7. Re: Can Premiere Elements NOT re-encode a video file
                      whsprague Level 4

OC Photoworx wrote:

Thanks, whsprague.

I have learned today that what I want isn't possible; the source videos are not Blu-ray compliant.  Since other projects have involved Blu-ray compliant video files, I'll take your suggestion about looking for smart-rendering features.  Also for CUDA-aware programs, since my experience with Premiere Pro and Encore have shown what a huge difference it can make to bring GPUs to bear on video processing.

I don't think I was clear.  My research suggests "smart rendering" does little that is useful.  One friend that swore by such a product gave it up after a few months.  Its features were too restrictive and the output was not noticbly better.

CUDA aware programs are another thing.  Curiosity drove me to buying one from Sony and learning it enough to find out what it does.  It turned out that Premier Elements was no slower at rendering on my computer that is equipped with an Nvidia GPU.  I've read that Premier Pro has some functions that are aided by a CUDA processing, but don't know what they are.

Your H.264 files are compatible with Blu-Ray and Premier Elements uses H.264 to encode Blu-Ray disks.  Good luck finding better, but you may not find significantly better speeds without serious computer upgrades.  Traditional solutions to fix rendering speed has to do with a CPU, more RAM and multiple HDDs.  Newer solutions replace the multiple HDDs with a fast SDD.

Good luck!

• 8. Re: Can Premiere Elements NOT re-encode a video file
                        OC Photoworx Level 1

I'm not expecting smart rendering to improve image quality; I am expecting it to save a LOT of time.  Copying 15GB of files from the memory card to the hard drive took 15-20 minutes.  "Copying" those same 15GB from one SSD to another took almost seven hours, when the copying involved re-rendering the video.

As for CUDA, my first Blu-ray project was taking eighteen hours to render.  I upgraded from a fast dual-core CPU to a really, really fast quad-core with HT -- and that knocked about 10% off the rendering time.  I then added a 960-GPU video card, and that dropped the time down to two hours.

Bottom line: Premiere Elements 13 is not a good choice for this task.  While it has nice menu features, it is limited in its support of Blu-ray formats, does not have smart rendering, and does not appear to support CUDA.  None of which is really surprising; it is, after all, called Elements.

A better bet would be to find out that Premiere Pro or Encore have methods for creating menus that have escaped my notice, something akin to the menu creation options found in Premiere Elements.

• 9. Re: Can Premiere Elements NOT re-encode a video file
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

OC Photoworx

Although I cannot give you first hand workings of Premiere Pro CC because I do not use the program (I am strictly an Elements Windows user),

I offer the following Adobe documentation that I found online for Premiere Pro CC features that you seek and that Premiere Elements does not have.

Smart Rendering

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/smart-rendering.html

CUDA (which Premiere Elements has not supported)

Adobe Premiere Pro CC - Faster Video Editing | NVIDIA

and for a comparison of Premiere Elements vs Premiere Pro CC Disc Menus and burn to Disk..

Premiere Elements (which you probably are fully aware of)

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Sharing to DVD or Blu-ray Disc.

Premiere Pro's Disc Menus and Burn to Disk

Using Premiere Pro CC & Encore CS6 for Bluray, DVD, and Interactive Video for iPad,ATV, and Mobile HD | DAVTechTable | A…

Adobe Encore * Creating menus

Best wishes with whatever you video editing decisions are.

ATR