7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2015 5:15 PM by Peru Bob

Is PE final output indistinguishable from Premiere Pro?

RFSLeander Level 1

I've been hired to do a documentary this summer that is very much run and gun so I need a lightweight way to edit the vid while out in the field—I'll be editing in motel rooms, the backseats of cars, and diner booths. Premiere Elements seems to do everything I need and there won't be any green screen, matte shots, anything like that.

The result needs to be good-looking, stable video cut together with dissolves and fades, some basic titling, a few lower thirds and that's it. The producer plans to show it on the festival circuit and may try to sell it to cable. If necessary, color timing will be done in Davinci or Photoshop.

Bottom line: is there any difference between the output of the Premiere Elements vs. Premiere Pro? Is there something about Elements that degrades the footage in a way that Premiere Pro does not?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Is PE final output indistinguishable from Premiere Pro?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

RFSLeander

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system?

What are the properties of your source media?

What is your planned typical detailed output from either of these programs? Do you have either of these programs at the present time?

ATR

• 2. Re: Is PE final output indistinguishable from Premiere Pro?
            whsprague Level 4

Have you asked this question in the Premier Pro forum?  My guess is that it will depend on what you shoot with and the output codecs you choose to use.  I've never used Premier Pro, but I think they most of the key codecs are shared.

Having watch MANY videos on YouTube and Vimeo with your same question, I've never seen picture quality differences that come from the software choices.  Differences are always due to the skills put into both shooting and editing.

If I were getting paid for this, I would download trials of both and do some testing. 

In your question, you mentioned "stable video".   That never comes out of post processing as well as it does out of having the camera stable to start.  Both Premier Pro and Premier Elements have stabilizer effects built in.  Premier Elements 13 has enhanced the stabilizer effectiveness over previous versions.  There are third party software stabilizers that may be better.

Good luck with your project!

• 3. Re: Is PE final output indistinguishable from Premiere Pro?
              BigKitten

Sory, when I say "stable" video, I just mean nice meaty files that will look good on most systems, video that will keep its colors and not turn to mush when projected in a theater or viewed on one of the newer 60- and 72-inch TV screens, and will also compress nicely when uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo.

• 4. Re: Is PE final output indistinguishable from Premiere Pro?
                BigKitten Level 1

I have both Premiere ProCC and Premiere Elements 12, but I have no way of testing how the video will look when broadcast over the air or projected in a theater. I'm working on a 2012 MacBook Pro and shooting on DSLRs like the 5D and Nikon D810.

The output will be whatever is asked for by the client, I assume some flavor of DCP and whatever other formats are needed.

I know that Elements doesn't have the same number of features, but my question is whether Adobe has restricted Premiere Elements  in some way that doesn't allow for the same high quality output that one gets from Premiere Pro (Apple, for instance, crippled the output of iMovie for a while there.)

• 5. Re: Is PE final output indistinguishable from Premiere Pro?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

BigKitten

Thanks for your contribution. You are in a good place with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and Premiere Pro CC with regard to RFSLeander's thread question.

I have lots of versions of Premiere Elements, including 12/12.1, but I do not have or use Premiere Pro.

You wrote

my question is whether Adobe has restricted Premiere Elements  in some way that doesn't allow for the same high quality output that one gets from Premiere Pro (Apple, for instance, crippled the output of iMovie for a while there.

My first impression would be that Premiere Elements 12/12.1 is not restricting the output features that it has (masking them) in comparison to Premiere Pro, but I do not have that insider information as a user. In this type of comparison of the programs in this thread, I am more likely to think more in terms of number of enhancements.

Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and Premiere Pro CC test....

If you set up the same source media for the same destination (let us make it an export to file saved to the computer hard drive) and setup the output settings to be as identical as possible,

do you get the same quality output from each  (noticeable by eye and heard by ear)?

Note: I am using Premiere Elements export settings customized under the Advanced Button (Video tab, Audio tab, and, if applicable Multiplexer tab) to assure the match of the output settings of the two programs.

Please let us know if you could do the above is a mini test run and post the results with details. If not, I will try to gain access to a computer with Premiere Pro to make this comparison.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 6. Re: Is PE final output indistinguishable from Premiere Pro?
                    whsprague Level 4

BigKitten wrote:

..... but my question is whether Adobe has restricted Premiere Elements  in some way that doesn't allow for the same high quality output that one gets from Premiere Pro (Apple, for instance, crippled the output of iMovie for a while there.)

In using Premier Elements since Version 9 and spending time online and in courses about its use, I have never found anything anywhere to suggest the output quality has been restricted in anyway. 

• 7. Re: Is PE final output indistinguishable from Premiere Pro?
                      Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The quality should be the same.  The biggest difference is that the hardware requirements to run Premiere Pro smoothly are much greater:

Tweakers Page