5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2015 3:20 PM by Silly-V

Change colour in 350 eps-Files from Cropmark to Black

Hannes-Hanisch

Hello Everybody,

i have a bunch (350) of illustrator eps files in a folder. The .eps files all show the same logo (black coloured type, 10 letters converted to paths and a simple illsutration, made out of three pathelements in black and green) in different variations.

Too bad i used the wrong black for all black elements. I used Crop Marks-Black (Croppingmarks, Cuttingmarks or Trimmarks?) which is a colour with CMYK: 100/100/100/100. This is wrong!

I need to change all black elements within the 350 .eps-Files now to just black (CMYK 0/0/0/100) and just overwrite the original file.

Please could somebody help me, find the right script for this problem.

I honestly have no real clue about programming scripts. Does anybody know a script, fitting my problem? or would help me, coding one?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Hannes Hanisch

• 1. Re: Change colour in 350 eps-Files from Cropmark to Black
          W_J_T Level 4

Hi,

It seems achievable.

Hannes-Hanisch wrote:

350 eps file - all have:

- the same logo (black coloured type, 10 letters converted to paths and a simple illustration, made out of three path elements in black and green) in different variations.

- I used Crop Marks-Black (Croppingmarks, Cuttingmarks or Trimmarks?) which is a colour with CMYK: 100/100/100/100

Green Color:

1.) Is the green the same color in all 350 files? Yes / No?

If YES, then:

2.) If it's a non spot / global color and just a CMYK build, then what are its CMYK numbers or swatch name?

3.) Or Is the green by chance a spot color? If yes, then what is its name?

------------------

Well regardless try this:

(it may work regardless of the green question above)

Make and open up a "copy" of a few of your EPS files and run this basic script and tell me if it works for your files (Check all the blacks of each item afterwards to make sure it worked).

If it worked then we can advance from there to work with all 350 of your files, but if not, then please explain.

function changeFromRichBlack() {
              var doc = app.activeDocument;
              var basicBlack = new CMYKColor();
              basicBlack.cyan = 0;
              basicBlack.magenta = 0;
              basicBlack.yellow = 0;
              basicBlack.black = 100;
              for (var i = 0, l = doc.pathItems.length; i < l; i++) {
                  var pItem = doc.pathItems[i];
                  var sKNum = Math.round(pItem.strokeColor.black);
                  var fKNum = Math.round(pItem.fillColor.black);
                  if (sKNum == 100 && pItem.stroked) {
                      pItem.strokeColor = basicBlack;
                  }
                  if (fKNum == 100 && pItem.filled) {
                      pItem.fillColor = basicBlack;
                  }
              }
          }
          changeFromRichBlack();

Did it work on your "copy" test files? If not then explain why?

• 2. Re: Change colour in 350 eps-Files from Cropmark to Black
            Hannes-Hanisch Level 1

Dear J_W_T,

thank you so much for your fast help. I already solved the Problem.

Best, Hannes

• 3. Re: Change colour in 350 eps-Files from Cropmark to Black
              W_J_T Level 4

Ok. Do you mind sharing with the community your solution of how you solved your problem?

• 4. Re: Change colour in 350 eps-Files from Cropmark to Black
                Hannes-Hanisch Level 1

Sure!

I learned that Illustrator has the "Action"-Function. So i recorded a simple Action:

Open Document, Set new Layer, Make Rectangle, Fill Rectangle with "Croppingmarks", Select all objects with same colour, change colour to black, delete new layer, save, close.

I tried this with the "Stapelverarbeitung" i think "batch" in english. But because of the plenty different filetypes and the fact that they had the version AI8 eps i had to find a better way. So i gave my funktion the shortcut F1, opened all files that had the wrong colour by hand and pressed F1, closed and saved them.

At the end i changed like 50 Documents and all of them had the word "Konvertiert" in the filename. I changed that with the nice little free App called Power-Renamer: PowerRenamer for Mac | MacUpdate

Best,

Hannes

• 5. Re: Change colour in 350 eps-Files from Cropmark to Black
                  Silly-V Adobe Community Professional

Extra info: To avoid it putting "Converted" on your new files, you can check a box on General Preferences to not "Append [Converted]" to files which have been opened in a later version than they were created in.