8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2015 2:36 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I move default text along an arc over time?

billsbayou

I have placed "Default Text" on a separate video track. In the video, a hand is pointing along an arc for 1.5 seconds.  I want the text to follow the arc as the hand is moving.

I stumbled upon how to do this while pointing and dragging at different things in the frame, then I messed up the edit and CTRL-Z'd myself back to a better point AND I LOST THE ABILITY to do it.

When it was working, I would see my text in its frame, and the center of the frame had a cross-hair.  By positioning the scrubber at the start and ending points, there was a line drawn from the cross-hair to the text.  The starting point had a line showing the beginning position, the ending point had it showing the ending position.

Now when I try to move the text, I get one of two things (neither of them work to my plan):

1) I have the "Adjustments" window open and the pointer tool is used to fix the position of the text in my "Default Text" frame.

2) I am moving the entire frame around in the preview window and the cross-hair moves along with it.

I had stumbling onto something and I don't know how I got there.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Me: Windows 8.1 64-bit, Adobe Premiere Elements 13

• 1. Re: How do I move default text along an arc over time?
          billsbayou Level 1

PARTIAL SOLUTION: I found out how I got there BY ACCIDENT, but want to know how I got there on purpose.

If I select the Default Text segment and then Tools > Pan and Zoom, I can apply a Pan and Zoom effect.  However, the default is not at all what I want.  Further, the default extends my Default Text duration.  So I CTRL-Z several times until I get everything on my timeline back in place.  At THIS POINT I can use the scrubber to position my text along a path of events.  The cross-hair has a dot in the middle of it.  With trial and error, I have been able to position my Default Text frame at different points along the timeline and I get it to do a decent enough arc.

Is there a better way to get to the point where I have access to this ability without first selecting Tools > Pan and Zoom and CTRL-Z back to the point where I have the "pan" ability?

• 2. Re: How do I move default text along an arc over time?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

billsbayou

When you did this previously, what version of Premiere Elements were you using?

I can see you arching the text in Photoshop Elements Editor and saving that as a png or psd file to import into a Premiere Elements

project, but a way to do that directly in Premiere Elements is not immediately coming to mind.

I have one more thing to look at, and I will be back in a moment with additional comments.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I move default text along an arc over time?
              billsbayou Level 1

I've never attempted this before.  I've only ever done 5 projects in APE.  Two in version 10, and I'm on my third in version 13.

Maybe a simpler explanation:

Position my scrubber over the middle of my target text.
              Select the target text segment in the timeline.

At this point, I can see the frame of the text segment in the preview.  There are control squares around the frame use for sizing.  There is also a crosshair in the middle, but it is only a crosshair. I seek the crosshair with the dot.  With that tool, I can position the scrubber to the desired start point and click on the crosshair to create a panning start anchor.  Then I can move the scrubber to the next time point and move the frame again.  When I move the frame, I get a dashed line from where the first panning anchor was to where I want it now.  Then I repeat this effect to complete the arc.

The trick is how to get the panning cursor.

• 4. Re: How do I move default text along an arc over time?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

billsbayou

I did not see your post 1 until after I had posted my post 2.

I have tried to reproduce what you have described as a partial solution, but so far I have not been able to reproduce it.

Just to confirm....is the following text effect what you are looking for in Premiere Elements

TextBending.JPG

I did that in Photoshop Elements 13/13.1 Editor with its Text on Curve in the Toolbox.

I will give your partial solution another try.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I move default text along an arc over time?
                  billsbayou Level 1

No.  My apologies.  I'm not looking to align text over an arc.  I am looking for a way to move fixed text along a path.

Let's use the the word "Hello" to represent the text.  The text is in the lower left.  Two seconds later, the text is in the upper right.  When you play the video the word "Hello" moves from the lower left to the upper right over a span of two seconds and it does so in an arc.

How I've learned to do it:

Position the scrubber and select the text segment in the timeline.
                  Select Tools> Pan and Zoom.
                  Click "Done"

The default is crap, and I don't want it.

Look in the preview window.  You will see the frame of your text box with control squares on the outside and a crosshair in the middle.  The crosshair has a dot in the middle of it.

Patiently press CTRL-Z 4 or 5 times until the dot goes away.  This gets rid of all of the default Pan and Zoom effect.
                  Then press CTRL-SHIFT-Z (Redo) to get that dot back.

You are now in free-hand pan and zoom.  <----  That's the tool I want.

Position the scrubber within your text segment's timeline to the exact point you want to free-hand pan and zoom.

Click the center of the crosshair.  That's the beginning of your arc.

Move the scrubber to a few more points along the text segment and click the center of the dotted crosshair to create points along an arc.

As you edit this way, you will notice a dotted line between the anchor points.  This shows you how fast the pan will move.  More points means slower movement.  You will also have bezier tools to control the curve of the arc.  (I'm discovering all of this myself in the time it takes me to type this).
                  If you want, you can also change the size of the frame using the controls on the sides of the frame to create zoom in and out effects.

It's a nifty little tool.  What's the shortcut?

• 6. Re: How do I move default text along an arc over time?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

billsbayou

I read your thread as trying to arc text. Sorry about that. You were about to get a suggestion about using fx Effects/Distort/Lens Distortion for the effect.

But if all you want to do is to move text along a path in Premiere Elements that can be done Keyframing Motion Scale (for zoom) or

Position (for pan)/  Probably better off using this keyframing of the Position property. Have you tried that yet?

I am going to back to what you just described (the multiple Ctrl+Z way) to see where you are ending up.

ATR

• 7. Re: How do I move default text along an arc over time?
                      billsbayou Level 1

FOUND IT!!!

I hate being a noob.  Under the "Applied Effects" button, select Motion, then the little stopwatch icon named "Toggle Animation".  That turns on the dotted cursor and gives me all the control over pan and zoom that I need.

• 8. Re: How do I move default text along an arc over time?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

billsbayou

Great news. Great job.

Timeline clip selection, Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded to get at the Scale (for zoom) and Position (for pan) properties.

That is to where I was pointing you in my previous post when I wrote

But if all you want to do is to move text along a path in Premiere Elements that can be done Keyframing Motion Scale (for zoom) or

Position (for pan)/  Probably better off using this key framing of the Position property. Have you tried that yet?

There is still another way...creating Position keyframes at the level of the Timeline "rubberband", orange line that runs horizontally across a Timeline video clip or audio clip. More about that another time if you are interested.

But, right now, lots of progress.

ATR