2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2015 7:46 AM by joeyc37141695

Upgrade for better rendering

joeyc37141695

Alright, I read everything I could and couldn't find anything specifically helping me figure out my situation. I recently got started using the Adobe suite and love it. I'm mostly using Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, Audition and After Effects for my projects right now. Most everything runs pretty well, except that After Effects is taking forever to render when using the ray-tracer. I figured it would take quite some time, but a 30-second project took 14 hours to render this week. Is that normal? It's also majorly impeding my editing ability because previewing is super slow. Premiere takes a while to encode as well, but nowhere near the time AE is taking.

Here's my question, given the below setup, what upgrades can I make to use these programs more efficiently, if any? Should I look at nVidia GPUs and install multiple cards on this motherboard or will my system even be able to take advantage of multiple GPUs in Adobe products with this setup? Do I simply have my AE settings configured wrong (quite likely)?

MB - Asus M5A97 R2.0

CPU - AMD FX8350

GPU - AMD Radeon R9 270x

16GB DDR3 Memory

Windows 8.1

Thanks for any advice you can give!

• 1. Re: Upgrade for better rendering
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Joey,

Most everything runs pretty well, except that After Effects is taking forever to render when using the ray-tracer.

This is a common issue. It is not recommended to use ray-traced 3D compositions any longer, especially if you do not have a qualified NVIDIA GPU (which you do not have).

Don't worry, though. Instead, look into using Cinema 4D Lite for your 3D needs, which is available from After Effects. Choose Layer > New > Maxon Cinema 4D file. If you do so, does Cinema 4D Lite launch? It should. Try it out.

More info here: Greyscalegorilla Blog | Getting Started with Cinema 4D Lite and Cineware

Here's my question, given the below setup, what upgrades can I make to use these programs more efficiently, if any? Should I look at nVidia GPUs and install multiple cards on this motherboard or will my system even be able to take advantage of multiple GPUs in Adobe products with this setup?

Bigger, better, or more GPUs will not affect After Effects performance very much. After Effects is more dependent on CPU power and large amounts of RAM.

Do I simply have my AE settings configured wrong (quite likely)?

Just avoid ray-traced 3D compositions and you should be fine. You may want to familiarize yourself with After Effects, as well. Here's a great place to start: Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC) | After Effects region of interest

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 2. Re: Upgrade for better rendering
            joeyc37141695 Level 1

Kevin, thanks so much! I appreciate the help. Looking forward to getting some amazing stuff from this product. I had read about the Cinema 4D, but hadn't taken the time to investigate it. I'll definitely do that now. Very grateful for your time, friend!