6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2015 9:24 AM by RjL190365

Fast usb 3.0 stick

Alexander Eberhard Level 1

I am looking for a reliable and fast usb stick. Any recommendation?

• 1. Re: Fast usb 3.0 stick
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I wish I could.  The PNY Turbo 128 GB flash drives that I first bought were excellent but they switched components in the mean time and the second batch were lousy.  There are some expensive new USB3 flash drives but I have not tested any.  You cannot believe the manufacturers specifications as many use compressible data which is of no use for our video files.

Also you have not indicated which is most important to you, read or write speeds or both.

• 2. Re: Fast usb 3.0 stick
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Alexander,

I have done a little research and found this HD Tune Benchmark data on USB 3 Flash drives that I can believe in.  Here is an ideal USB3 1TB flash drive that looks great for only $893.99 !  Next time I win the lottery I will tell you how well it performs

• 3. Re: Fast usb 3.0 stick

Thx a lot, Bill.

• 4. Re: Fast usb 3.0 stick
                RjL190365 Level 4

Alexander,

Unless you're willing to pay as much money as or more money than a Samsung 850 Pro SSD on a per-gigabyte basis, you'll have to keep waiting: Since the change in components in the PNY Turbo USB 3.0 128GB flash drive, every single one of the 128GB USB sticks that I've encountered at around the same price point either has a claimed read speed that's no faster than the 120-ish MB/second that the newer PNY sticks have tested out as or (gasp!) still uses the outdated USB 2.0 standard.

I recently tested one of the newest 128GB USB 3.0 sticks on the market, the Patriot Supersonic Rage 2, which has a claimed read speed of up to 400 MB/second and a claimed write speed of up to 300 MB/second. My benchmark tests came out inconsistent with this drive, but my actual Windows 8.1 file transfer tests indicated that the drive came pretty close to its claimed speeds. Unfortunately, that drive costs $100, which is as much as or more than a 128GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD. A 256GB version of that drive retails for $200.

Because of this, you'll have little choice but to keep on waiting.

• 5. Re: Fast usb 3.0 stick

Thank you for your reply. I will keep that in mind.

• 6. Re: Fast usb 3.0 stick
                    RjL190365 Level 4

Bill,

PNY has changed its 128GB Turbo 3.0 flash drive again. This time, the outer shell of the drive has changed. It also reverted to the performance of the first revision of the previous drive: I got myself one on sale at Best Buy for a mere $33.

Performance benchmarks of the newest version of the PNY drive revealed an over 190 MB/second sequential read speed and an 80-something MB/second sequential write speed. That's practically the same as the "good" earlier versions of the PNY Turbo 128GB USB 3.0 flash drive that you mentioned.