4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2015 7:30 AM by clydealan

Pan and zoom

clydealan Level 1

I need to pan in on a subject in a video and hold it there for several minutes - say five or ten.  I can pan in ok but it dissolves and returns to the whole video after a few seconds.  Rookie here. Help pls.

• 1. Re: Pan and zoom
          A.T. Romano Level 7

clydealan

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is the duration of the video clip where all this is going on?

Please confirm what you want to do....

You say that you want to pan in on a subject...do you mean zoom in?

And, hold the zoomed in look for 5 to 10 minute as the video continues to play?

If you really mean pan, then are you changing the person's position and holding the

person at that position for 5 to 10 minutes? Do you mean seconds or minutes?

Let us start here and then decide what next after you confirm the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Pan and zoom
            clydealan Level 1

Thanks A.T.   I use Elements 13.  My OS is Windows 8.  I have a clip over ten minutes longs which consists of three people in conversation.  I would like to zoom in on one of them during the entire conversation.

• 3. Re: Pan and zoom
              A.T. Romano Level 7

clydeealan

The Pan and Zoom Tool's panning and zooming is not the same for stills and video.

The overview for what you want to do....

Tools Menu/Pan and Zoom

Pan and Zoom Workspace opens

What you see in the bin are the first and last frame of the video clip. You will be applying the zoom in this case in between the first and last video frames.

1. Make sure that the first thumbnail (first scene of the video) is selected. Green frame around it.

2. Move the bin's Timeline Indicator to the right a few video frames, click New Frame in the panel to the left of the Pan and Zoom workspace.

You will see a box 2 on the screen. Move that box to the face that you want to zoom in on and size the box accordingly.

3. Move the bin's Timeline Indicator to the right a few more fews, click New Frame in the panel to the left of the Pan and Zoom workspace.

You will see a box 3 on the screen. Move that box to the face that you want to zoom in on and size the box accordingly.

4. Move the bin's Timeline Indicator to the right some more, click New Frame in the panel to the left of the Pan and Zoom workspace.

You will see a box 4 on the screen. Move that box to the face that you want to zoom in on and size the box accordingly.

5. And so on across the duration of the clip.

If the face is staying in one place throughout, you probably can get away with less stops for a new frame.

Remember, you can also do this zoom using keyframing the Motion Scale property. Let us know if you want to go into that under

Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and its Scale property and the Toggle Animation feature.

Not exactly what you want to do but it introduces the concept of applying pan and zoom of Pan and Zoom Tool to video.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12/12.1: Pan and Zoom Tool and Video File

Please let us know if you are OK with the how to. If not, I will clarify further.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Pan and zoom
                clydealan Level 1

Thank you A T