6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2015 1:17 PM by A.T. Romano

What are the best file types to use?

leaw59159920

What are the best file types to use in Elements?  Do I need to use AVI files?  When I used Elements 9, I was told that if I converted my files to AVIs they would process better and faster?  Is that still the case?

• 1. Re: What are the best file types to use?
          leaw59159920 Level 1

I forgot to mention that I now have Elements 13.

• 2. Re: What are the best file types to use?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

leaw

What computer operating system was involved for your Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1 and now your Premiere Elements 13/13.1?

With 9/9.0.1, what were you using for video and audio compression for your .avi files?

Consider that Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application whether it is run on a 32 bit or 64 bit computer and carries with that

all the source limitations of that situation. Premiere Elements 13/13.1 is a 64 bit application when it is specifically run on Windows 7, 8, or

8.1 64 bit. This does not automatically mean faster, but does support multitasking and more resources beyond 4 GB installed RAM.

What are your project goals for editing and export?

You wrote

I was told that if I converted my files to AVIs they would process better and faster?

Did that suggestion work for you with 9/9.0.1?

ATR

• 3. Re: What are the best file types to use?
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

leaw59159920 wrote:

I was told that if I converted my files to AVIs they would process better and faster?

What are your original files (type and codec)?

Use the free MediaInfo:

MediaInfo

What are your computer specs (operating system,processor, RAM, hard drive(s) and free space, video card)?

• 4. Re: What are the best file types to use?
                leaw59159920 Level 1

My file types ate MPG4.  Sorry I don't know much about my computer

specs.  I know that it is a 64 not a 32 system.  I am using windows

8.1.  My IT guy (who built my computer) isn't available till Monday.  I

am now using Elements 13.   My C: has 216 GB free and my F: has 358 GB

free (it is an ssd drive).

• 5. Re: What are the best file types to use?
                  leaw59159920 Level 1

Yes the AVI files worked better on my old system.  My files I am

starting with are MPG4 files.  I just downloaded Elements 13 yesterday

so whatever version that would be.  I don't know what my compression

is.  I am using windows 8.1 and it is 64 bit.

What I am wanting to do is to video a barrel racing 2 day clinic then

break apart all of the different students and make individual DVDs for

them.  With my old system, I used OJO to convert the files to AVI files

and it worked a lot better that way.  Now I am having problems with the

converter, so I was wondering if I still need to do the conversions or

if Elements 13 didn't really care. If it does, what type of files would

be the best?

Thanks for your help.  Sorry I am a computer simpleton.

Lea

• 6. Re: What are the best file types to use?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Lea

Thanks for the reply. You will go just fine. The more you use the program, what needs to be done will get easier.

Asking questions and asking for clarification will expedite the process along with exploration and experimentation.

AVI is just a file extension which is referred to as a wrapper/container format which wraps the video and audio compression of the file.

And that is just the start of the story. An .avi file can have different video and audio compression. All .avi files are not alike. In Premiere Elements AVCHD.avi is not supported. Other possibilities are MotionJPEG.avi and Xvid.avi and Dvid.avi. You do not want Xvid.avi, Dvid.avi is questionable, and MotionJPEG.avi has problems from time to time.

What I would advise you to do is to bypass the converter and import your recordings from your camera. If there are problems doing that we will evaluate

the brand/model/settings of the camera recording the video to determine its properties for troubleshooting purposes.

So here is my suggestion to get a quick rough overview of what is to come...

1. Open Premiere Elements 13 to the Expert workspace.

Go to the Help Menu/Updates, click on Updates to update Premiere Elements 13 to 13.1. You can also update the Camera Raw plug-in at that time

from 8.6 to 8.7.

2. If you decide to skip step 1 for now, then In Premiere Elements 13 Expert workspace, go to Add Media/Files and Folders/ and import your .mp4. It will arrive in Project Assets. From Project Assets, drag the video to the Timeline, Video Track 1/Audio Track 1. If you play back the Timeline video in the Edit area monitor, what does it look like and sound like.

3. Then open Project Assets Palette and right click the thumbnail for the video there. Select Properties. What does Properties tell you about the Frame Size and Frame Rate of the video?

4. Next go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and tell us what you see for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the information looks grayed out).

The above will give us information on which to build in setting up the project for editing and export.

Any questions or need clarification let us know. All questions are important if you do not have the answer for them.

Thank you.

ATR