5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2015 8:52 AM by trshaner

Completely unstable - any tips?

eric98924233

I finally broke down and purchased lightroom to use after getting a DSLR late last year and bemoaning the fact that Aperture is no longer viable. My experience has been ...considerably less than stellar.

I'm using OSX 10.10 (latest update)

Basic operations (Importing, moving photos from one location to another within a catalog) yield 10 minute+ beach-balls with inability to even launch the force quit window (via cmd-option-esc) and automatic restarts due to kernel panics. I have attempted to import about 8000 photos into a catalog probably 50 times now, with it completely crashing my computer to a kernel panic anywhere from 10 photos imported to 1000 per effort.

This is completely unacceptable.

I am not a computer newbie. I have been using OSX for 10+ years, and never seen anything as unstable as this. I have done all the standard 'stuff has gone completely haywire' things (verifying / repairing disk and disk permissions in recovery mode, etc.) with no effect. Currently typing this on a second mac because my other mac has beach-balled and is probably about to automatically restart due to a kernel panic.

Are there any reasonable reasons for this happening, or troubleshooting steps to try?

I'm about one day away from canceling my subscription, waiting for OSX photos app, and just being sad that Aperture is gone. At this point I have zero trust in Lightroom's stability and would likely have to keep 3+ copies of all my photos and catalogs for fear that kernel panics are going to corrupt my photos and catalogs.

• 1. Re: Completely unstable - any tips?
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ready to move on from Aperture or iPhoto? | The Lightroom Queen

Try the above migration procedure....if you haven't done so already.

• 2. Re: Completely unstable - any tips?
            eric98924233 Level 1

Thanks for the link. That will be helpful in the future, but right now I'm just trying to import photos from a recent trip. There are around 7000 pictures on an external drive, and each attempted import is completely locking up OSX after somewhere between 5 and 200 pictures are imported.

EDIT: Unless you're suggesting that I use iPhoto or Aperture to import the photos with and then transfer them from there into Lightroom? That seems like a crazy workaround for the standard Lightroom import workflow not working.

I have never seen any OSX software do this to a Mac so reliably. You don't realize how nice the OS usually operates with all of the software until you can't even bring up the force quit window.

• 3. Re: Completely unstable - any tips?
              eric98924233 Level 1

Ok, after some more troubleshooting, I think this may be due to a permissions issue on Yosemite. I'm currently trying to figure out exactly what is causing the instability, but if anyone has any suggestions for how best to handle the following workflow, let me know:

Goal:

'Working' catalog on internal SSD

Other catalogs with the catalog info on the internal SSD and the photos on external storage

Accessible by multiple user accounts on this machine.

I had started by setting up the 'working' catalog in /Users/Shared/, but it appears that permissions exceptions were being thrown in the copy process and hanging the kernel at the file handling level (same thing was happening in Finder). I'm now thinking it will be cleaner to create disk images: one for the catalogs, one for the 'working' pictures, and others for the other catalogs on the external drives.

Are there any best practices to achieve this type of setup?

• 4. Re: Completely unstable - any tips?

eric98924233 wrote:

EDIT: Unless you're suggesting that I use iPhoto or Aperture to import the photos with and then transfer them from there into Lightroom? That seems like a crazy workaround for the standard Lightroom import workflow not working.

In your initial post you mention, I finally broke down and purchased lightroom to use after getting a DSLR late last year and bemoaning the fact that Aperture is no longer viable." Sorry, I wrongly assumed you were migrating from Aperture to Lightroom (LR).

• 5. Re: Completely unstable - any tips?

eric98924233 wrote:

Ok, after some more troubleshooting, I think this may be due to a permissions issue on Yosemite. I'm currently trying to figure out exactly what is causing the instability, but if anyone has any suggestions for how best to handle the following workflow, let me know:

There have been numerous reports of permissions issues with the Yosemite upgrade. Search these posts:

https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?q=Yosemite+permission&place=%2Fplaces%2F1383621

eric98924233 wrote:

Goal:

'Working' catalog on internal SSD

Other catalogs with the catalog info on the internal SSD and the photos on external storage

Accessible by multiple user accounts on this machine.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but this post may help:

Lightroom (two users, same iMac) - MacRumors Forums

I'm on Windows so not the best person to advise on OS X specific issues. Perhaps someone on Yosemite will assist you shortly.