7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2015 4:34 AM by Keith_Reeder

Can I convert my standalone license to CC?

fobcure1

I bought LR5 a few months ago and now need photoshop. I saw that Adobe has a plan for 9.99/mo that includes both. Am I able to convert my perpertual license to the monthly plan?

thnx

• 1. Re: Can I convert my standalone license to CC?
          johnhawk666 Level 3

No,there is no direct  way to change a standalone licence into a CC licence, as far as I know.

• 2. Re: Can I convert my standalone license to CC?
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The standalone version and the creative cloud version of Lightroom is precisely the same program. You only difference is in the licensing. When I joined the creative cloud I uninstalled the stand-alone version and installed from the creative cloud application manager. When Lightroom 6 is released you will be able to upgrade at no additional cost. It will be part of your creative cloud subscription.

• 3. Re: Can I convert my standalone license to CC?
              fobcure1 Level 1

Thanks for your reply Jim. 

Yes but while I currently have LR5, why would I pay for the exact same version simultaneously on CC? Seems there should be a conversion and some credit that you can apply to moving to the CC version.

• 4. Re: Can I convert my standalone license to CC?
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can only answer your question by saying, "just because". I know, that isn't a good answer. If you purchase Lightroom 5 and then decide to go to the creative cloud photography plan that is a "loss" that you will have to accept. That's just the way the plan works. There is no creative cloud plan for Photoshop only. There is no plan to give you credit for your standalone Lightroom 5. I suppose you could try to sell your standalone license to someone else. But with Lightroom 6 seemingly close to being released, I don't know how many people would be interested.

• 5. Re: Can I convert my standalone license to CC?
                  Keith_Reeder Level 4

fobcure1 wrote:

Seems there should be a conversion and some credit that you can apply to moving to the CC version.

Why?

We're supposed to be "intelligent customers", and to live with our decisions when hindsight lets us realise we could have bought better. The Photography Plan has been available since around the middle of last year (maybe since before you bought Lr 5?) and was heavily publicised, so it might be said that Adobe has done "enough" already, especially given the very reasonable price of the plan.

As Jim says "just because..."

• 6. Re: Can I convert my standalone license to CC?
                    elie-d Level 4

Last week on went on a plane trip from here to there. I thought there would be no food on the plane, not sure where I got that idea, so in the airport I bought a big and overpriced box lunch. Imagine my surprise when five hours later they started serving lunch - and with a choice of wine or beer! Although I had opened my box right after take-off and had been nibbling at it, I tried to explain to the stewardess that because the lunch she was serving was much better (and fresher, my boxed lunch had gone quite stale) I should receive a partial refund on the cost of my ticket. However, she went and reported to the captain that there was an irrational passenger who may need restraining.

• 7. Re: Can I convert my standalone license to CC?
                      Keith_Reeder Level 4

Dammit Elie - I laughed so hard I've just spat a mouthful of tea over my keyboard!