5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2015 9:11 AM by A.T. Romano

Problems with editing freeze frame with photoshop

Mark Spaur

When I create a freeze frame, Photoshop opens and I can add a graphic or an affect.  But the edits are not copied back into Premiere, even though I save the BMP in Photoshop.  Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Problems with editing freeze frame with photoshop
          whsprague Level 4

I didn't know you could take the Freeze Frame to Photoshop Elements.  So I tried it and figured it out.

The freeze frame with the Open in Elements box checked only works on mine when you select Insert in Movie.  It creates a .bmp file.  After working on it, Photoshop Elements (on mine) wants to save it as a .psd file.  It does not appear it will allow me to save it as a .bmp or replace the the first .bmp.   It makes me choose where to put the new .psd file.  I chose to put it in the same folder with the original .bmp freeze frame.

To put the newer modified picture into the movie, you have to use Add Media to get the new .psd file and replace the .bmp file that has already been inserted in the movie.  Alternately, you can put the new .psd on the video track above, stretch it to match and leave both in the project.  By putting the new one "on top" you only see that one.

I don't know what your project is, but when I use freeze frames it is because I want to put them somewhere besides where the frame orininates.  I don't want it to split the clip.  So,I think I would prefer to Export, rather than Insert in Movie, and then do the Photoshop work. 

Thanks for introducing me to a new tool.

Bill

• 2. Re: Problems with editing freeze frame with photoshop
            Mark Spaur Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  My Photoshop automatically saves as a BMP.  The web instructions say that the file is automatically updated in Premiere when saved in Photoshop.  That is not working for me.

• 3. Re: Problems with editing freeze frame with photoshop
              whsprague Level 4

Is it saving as a new BMP or is it replacing the original BMP with exactly the same file name?

On Edit....  I tried it again and looked a little harder for the BMP choice for saving and found it.  I made sure that when I Saved in Photoshop that I replaced the original BMP with the photoshop modified BMP in the same folder location.   The change showed up immediately in Premier Elements.   So, on my version of Premier Elements and Photoshop Elements 13 it works as long as I ensure the original is being overwritten with the modified file.

• 4. Re: Problems with editing freeze frame with photoshop
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark Spaur

What version of Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements are you using and on what computer operating system?

This is the how to for what you describe you want to do.....please see if this works for you. I used Photoshop Elements 13/13.1 and Premiere Elements 13/13.1 here.

1. Premiere Elements Expert workspace...

Video on Video Track 1....move Timeline Indicator to frame for freeze frame...Tools Menu/Freeze Frame

In the Freeze Frame dialog, check mark next to "Edit in Photoshop Elements after inserting" and then click on "Insert in Movie".

Photoshop Elements opens, and you do your edits to the ".bmp" image.

You make your Edits to the .bmp.

Then File Menu/Save. The save location = Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0

In the Save As dialog, set the "Save As File Type" = BMP (BMP, RLE, DIB)...not .psd.

Then File Menu/Exit.

You should then automatically be back in Premiere Elements project with your edited Photoshop Elements bmp.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

Add On...for future reference if needed

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Freeze Frames, Single or More Than One at a Time

• 5. Re: Problems with editing freeze frame with photoshop
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark Spaur

Add On to my post 4, I did not see prior posts until after I had posted mine.

ATR