3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2015 1:32 PM by A.T. Romano

Hi. I'm currently editing a music video that I wish to use the filter 'Red Noir' on.

savannahp62152192

But for some reason, every time I wish to cut a clip and add the filter, only some clips play--even though they are all snippets of the same original clip. All of the clips are shown in the editing bar, but there's just a blank screen when the scrubber passes over some of them. If this doesn't happen, the other problem I am experiencing is that the video (if I manage to edit it with no problems) will not export. It is not the actual clips (they will play with any other filter except Red Noir), and it's not the extra audio I'm using, so I have no idea why this problem is happening. I have never had a problem like this before, and it's very frustrating. Please help!

• 1. Re: Hi. I'm currently editing a music video that I wish to use the filter 'Red Noir' on.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

savannahp

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system?

Please review the following that I excerpted from an older post here regarding Adobe's PRE_help comments about Hollywood Effect and mention of

Red Noir. Does any of the following apply to any of what is happening to you.

- Whenever I try to add an effect from the Hollywood Looks menu, it brings up a warning that all my previous effects on that clip will be deleted. However it will let me add those same effects *after* applying Hollywood Looks.

This is because of how the Hollywood Looks are designed to be used. Since these are effect presets (multiple effects in combination) that result in a specific "look"; they are best applied in isolation. If any previous effect is applied and we still allow a Hollywood effect to be applied, we will not be able to see what the effect does clearly. For e.g. if you already have a Gaussian Blur effect applied to your clip, and then we allow you to apply the "Red Noir" Hollywood effect, the fact that the "Reds" in the scenes will be highlighted and the others converted to B/W will not be clearly seen since the content is already blurred out. So any previously applied effects was designed to be removed. This holds good even if you apply a Hollywood look "on top of" another one. The previous one will be replaced. Having said that, you can customize the look further by either tweaking an already applied filter or by adding a newer effect on top. That is the reason you can apply an effect on top of the Hollywood Effects and not vice versa.

Please review and consider and then we can proceed from there if necessary.

ATR

• 2. Re: Hi. I'm currently editing a music video that I wish to use the filter 'Red Noir' on.
            savannahp62152192 Level 1

It's version 12.0 on a Macbook Pro Retina OS X 10.9.5

The problem is either 1) when I apply the filter, the clips will no longer play at all, regardless of whatever editing I may have done already.

or 2) I will apply the filter to the whole clip, and then cut it into the snippets that I want, and only a select few of the cuts will actually play which bring us to 3) the file will not save to any format or 4) it will save, but with the blank spots in it.

• 3. Re: Hi. I'm currently editing a music video that I wish to use the filter 'Red Noir' on.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

savannahp

Thanks for the additional information.

I am strictly an Elements Windows users. And, often in cases like these, there is common ground to be reached in troubleshooting.

But, I cannot confirm your results.

1. In my Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Windows, there are no problems when I go through the steps that you describe.

2. When you apply the Red Noir are you dragging the effect into the Expert workspaceTimeline clip or dragging it into the Monitor so that you can use an Adjustment Layer with it?

3. After you use it on the whole clip or parts thereof, are you editing the effect under Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/ and the the Panels Added by applying the Red Noir effect (HSL Tuner and Blend with Original)? With Blend with Original, what is your typical set for "Blend with Original %" and "Blend Mode".

Just in case mention...delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file which is said to be found

Libraries/Users/Owner/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0.

Have you been getting any Videomerge messages to which you have been clicking Yes?

We will be watching for further news.

Thanks. Your follow ups are appreciated.

ATR