6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2015 2:53 PM by A.T. Romano

Not recognizing avi files.

mikeb96779239

I'm running PE12 on a computer with Windows 8.1. It's not recognizing avi files - says the correct codec is missing. Where can I safely download the necessary codec(s)?

• 1. Re: Not recognizing avi files.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mikeb

The answer to your question will come from know what the video compression is that is wrapped/contained by the .avi format.

What kind of .avi files do you have

AVCHD.avi

MotionJPEG.avi

Xvid.avi

Dvid.avi

other

What is the brand/model/settings of the camera recording this video?

If needed, please download and install the free codec utility named GSpot to get this type of information.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Not recognizing avi files.
            mikeb96779239 Level 1

ATR

It's a Samsung NV10 and the manual says it shoots avi files with

mpeg4 encoding.

Thanks for any help you can give.

MikeB

• 3. Re: Not recognizing avi files.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MikeB

Thanks for the additional information.

If you had said that your Samsung NV10 was recording AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video with that .avi file extension, then that

would be your problem since Premiere Elements does not support the combo of AVCHD.avi.

But, your Samsung NV10 specification show the compression as MPEG4 with that .avi file extension. I have a camera that records

with MPEG4 compression with an .avi file extension and no problems in Premiere Elements (any version).

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements? If not, please do so.

You can also go to Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime (you will need to scroll down the list with the thin scroll bar to the right of the choices under

Computer) and verify that the QuickTime Presets are there.

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next which might involve file conversion. But, let us check out the details on the above

first.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...your Samsung is not a cell phone, so I do not think that you are involved with variable versus constant frame rate here.

• 4. Re: Not recognizing avi files.
                mikeb96779239 Level 1

ATR,

I just downloaded the latest version of Quicktime. I checked the

scrolldown under Publish/Share you mentioned, but it said "for playback

of video on a Mac" which doesn't apply to me. Is there something else in

the presets that may be off?

MikeB

• 5. Re: Not recognizing avi files.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

MikeB

Thanks for the update.

It might be that your "MPEG4".video may not be the MPEG4.avi that my camera uses and is less likely AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264).avi that is supported

by Premiere Elements.

I am wondering if you have DivX.avi.

DivX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Could you download and install the free codec utility names GSpot and note what it shows for Video Codec Name Status.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Not recognizing avi files.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

MikeB

The news seems to be worse than I thought.

I found a video sample 640 x 480 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second that was supposed to be from the Samsung NV10.

I ran it through MediaInfo, a popular free video and audio properties readout program, and found the video compression shown as

XviD which is worst case for Premiere Elements. If you can confirm that with GSpot for your video, then it is conversion time for

your video if you want to use it in Premiere Elements.

If that is the way things go, then consider free converter...HandBrake or Movie Maker for the H.264.mp4  version to be imported

into your Premiere Elements program.

https://handbrake.fr/

Windows Essentials - Download Windows Live Essentials

I will be watching for further developments.

ATR