14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2015 3:27 AM by ManiacJoe

Lightroom import issue!

joe8877

Lightroom 5 dosn't read photos exported from photoshop cc when importing???

i Have both latest version running on iMac latest version as well!

I Have no other problems! I wonder if it's a bug or some annoying ignored feature?

I Tried with tiff psd and jpeg!!

the only way for me to get lightroom to take the photos is by saving the pic that was originally exported to photoshop from Lightroom but I can't do that if I wanna keep to edited versions of the same photo, sadly lightroom will overwrite any new changes to same "edited" photo next to the original one

• 1. Re: Lightroom import issue!
          dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom 5 dosn't read photos exported from photoshop cc when importing???

Could you describe exactly what steps you are using and exactly what you see (or don't see) when this problem occurs?

Also, what file type are these photos? What version of Lightroom? What operating system? What camera took these photos?

the only way for me to get lightroom to take the photos is by saving the pic that was originally exported to photoshop from Lightroom but I can't do that if I wanna keep to edited versions of the same photo, sadly lightroom will overwrite any new changes to same "edited" photo next to the original one

You shouldn't export photos to Photoshop. You use the Lightroom command Photo->Edit In...

• 2. Re: Lightroom import issue!
            joe8877 Level 1

iit's very simple!!!

Lightroom-edited in photoshop- save in photoshop-edited photo shows up next to original  photo in Lightroom!

Now if i wanna do further editing of the same photo in photoshop while keeping both versions I will have to (save as) the new edited photo wherever and imported later with Lightroom rather than save it and have it overwrites the previously edited image!!!

PLease don't ask me question if you don't undersatnd this you can't help me it has nothing to do with the camera or the system I'm using

• 3. Re: Lightroom import issue!
              dj_paige Level 9

PLease don't ask me question if you don't undersatnd this you can't help me it has nothing to do with the camera or the system I'm using

I am asking questions because I am trying to understand the situation.

• 4. Re: Lightroom import issue!
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It seems valid to ask for the specifics, because I'm not seeing the behavior I think you're describing but something might be slightly different from what you and I are doing.

Here is what happens for me:

Right-click IMG_0571.CR2 - Edit in PS CC - Document tab says IMG_0571.CR2 - Adjust to all black - File / Save - document title in PS changes to IMG_0571-Edit.tif and an image with this name is back in LR.

Right-click IMG_0571.CR2 - Edit in PS CC - Document tab says IMG_0571.CR2 - Adjust to all white - File / Save - document title in PS changes to IMG_0571-Edit-2.tif and an image with this name is back in LR.

Here are the thumbnails of the image set I see in LR after two Edit-In-PS-CCs from LR of the same raw image:

I am using LR 5.7.1 and PS CC 2014.2.2 with ACR 8.7.1 all on 64-bit Windows 8.1 Update 1.

My LR External Editor preferences are:

Both documents in PS after saving are 16-bit ProPhotoRGB which could be either the LR settings or my default ACR workflow settings which are the same.

• 5. Re: Lightroom import issue!
                  Keith_Reeder Level 4

Joeywallace wrote:

If you want help, you're well advised to answer every single question DJ decides to ask you - he's forgotten more about Lightroom than most of us will ever know: if he's asking questions, rest assured that it's not as simple as you seem to think it is.

• 6. Re: Lightroom import issue!
                    joe8877 Level 1

well I appreciate the good deed!

but with respect to your knowledge I think I know enough about my issue to know that the info I provided is all your u need to know to help!!

dont take it personally you just don't know the answer for this one!!

why waste my time and yours, everyone thinks they can help which is nice but sometimes you can't!

@ssprengel you're right but for some reason this image isn't coneccted to Lightroom anymore it's like it lost connection! I had this problem before, and I fixed it by synching the folder but This time that didn't help either!!

it seems the  only way to get this photo back in Lightroom is by using the import dialogue 

but lightroom in my experience dosnt read the files I (save as) from photoshop no matter what type or setting I save them by

• 7. Re: Lightroom import issue!
                      ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Joeywallace wrote:

iit's very simple!!!

Lightroom-edited in photoshop- save in photoshop-edited photo shows up next to original  photo in Lightroom!

Now if i wanna do further editing of the same photo in photoshop while keeping both versions I will have to (save as) the new edited photo wherever and imported later with Lightroom rather than save it and have it overwrites the previously edited image!!!

Just to make sure we understand what you are doing:

When editing a raw file in Lightroom, you "edit in photoshop" (for JPG files you "edit copy in photoshop").

After making changes in photoshop, you do a /file/save to update the file Lightroom gave to Photoshop.

You continue making changes in Photoshop. You do a /file/save-as to write the changes to a new third file (that Lightroom knows nothing about).

You go back into Lightroom. The second file Lightroom gave to Photoshop and got back from photoshop is in the Library list.

To bring the third file into Lightroom, you click the "import" button and navigate to the folder containing the third file.

What happens at this point? Any error message? No files shown in the import dialog? Some files shown but not the third file?

• 8. Re: Lightroom import issue!
                        joe8877 Level 1

--no photo found

• 9. Re: Lightroom import issue!
                          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Joeywallace wrote:

The "wherever" location is probably your issue. Check your PS Preferences and make sure 'Save As To Original Folder' is checked. Here's how it looks in PS CS6:

• 10. Re: Lightroom import issue!
                            joe8877 Level 1

i guess I'll just call Adobe tomorrow! Thanks for trying guys

• 11. Re: Lightroom import issue!

If I'm right then you never have to do a Save As, only a Save, and LR won't lose track of what's happening in PS, and the "for some reason" is what we're trying to determine by asking for specifics, where the conclusion is that the software isn't working how we'd expect, or you could do things differently and have it work how you want, or there's no way to get it to work how you want, but without knowing the details of your workflow it's impossible to know which.

Questions I still have at this point are:

1)  In LR, are you starting with a raw (nef, cr2, arw, etc) or a non-raw (jpg, psd, tif)?

2)  When you say you wanting to re-edit the photo in PS, are you re-editing the original in LR (the .CR2 in my example) or the first derivative that you've saved from PS (the -Edit.tif in my example)?

3)  How are you re-editing the photo, are you starting in LR and doing an LR:Edit In PS, again, or are you in PS and using PS:File/Open?

• 12. Re: Lightroom import issue!

Adobe doesn't give phone help for this sort of thing, that's what the forums are for.

You're welcome to try, but if you don't like answering questions then things will become extremely frustrating very quickly.  Whatever you say will be ignored and you'll be asked to follow irrelevant procedures to prove there is a problem, and by the time they've put you through all those, and do give you permission to describe your scenario, they won't understand what you're talking about because they've never actually used LR, and are only an interface with a knowledge base.  The best hope is that they figure out you're asking for how-to advice and tell you they don't give that sort of support.

Good luck.

• 13. Re: Lightroom import issue!
                                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Joeywallace wrote:

--no photo found

The only possible cause is the 2nd PS file edit is being saved to a different folder location. Check your 'Save As' folder location in PS> is it the correct folder, is it the folder where the original file resides, did you even check your PS File Handling Preferences? I encountered this very same issue years ago when first using LR and discovered the 'Save As To Original Folder' box was unchecked. The files were being saved to the last 'Save As' folder location used, which was different than the current working folder.

• 14. Re: Lightroom import issue!
                                    ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

> no photo found.

Using File Explorer, verify that the second PS file is where you think it should be.

Verify that in LR that you have navigated to the correct folder for the import.