6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2015 3:55 PM by A.T. Romano

Expanding/contracting timeline shortcuts. "-" and "+" do not work.

edwardsylvester

I have purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 13. One thing I need to do a lot during my project is expand/contract the timeline in Expert view. Everywhere I look online I am directed to using "+" or "-" to do this.

However, these buttons do not appear to do anything - even in combination with CTRL or ALT. What am I missing?

thanks

Ed

• 1. Re: Expanding/contracting timeline shortcuts. "-" and "+" do not work.
          edwardsylvester Level 1

Sorry, should have said I am using Windows 7 if that makes any difference.

• 2. Re: Expanding/contracting timeline shortcuts. "-" and "+" do not work.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

edwardsyvester

What are your expectations - expand the Timeline or to increase the Track size?

With your focus on the -+ Zoom Out Zoom In above the Timeline, check out the slider.

When you first open the project and import to the Expert workspace - default positionExpanded1.jpg

When you move the slider all the way to the right (max)

Expanded3.jpg

And, to the immediate right of the Render button is an icon "Fit to Visible Timeline" (shortcut \) if you need to use that.

Are you saying that none of that happens when you move the slider to max (Zoom In) to min (Zoom Out)?

Or are you looking for the Large track size which can be obtained by right clicking near the track name and selecting from the drop

down menu Track Size...Large? The following is screenshot 1 with the default location for the zoom slider and with Track Size = Large.

defaultlarge.JPG

Please review and consider. If the above does not address your situation, then we will go for the deletion of

the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 13.0

Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that you are not working with hidden folders enabled.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 3. Re: Expanding/contracting timeline shortcuts. "-" and "+" do not work.
              edwardsylvester Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I want to expand/contract timeline, not increase the track size.

I want to achieve what the slider does, but using the keyboard shortcuts. The slider works, as does clicking on the large and small squares either side. However, the + and - keys do not have any effect at all. When I hover over the large and small squares either side of the slider, it confirms that the shortcuts should be + and - respectively, as does any documentation I see online.

• 4. Re: Expanding/contracting timeline shortcuts. "-" and "+" do not work.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

edwardsylvester

Thanks for the reply with the additional information.

Have you verified under Edit Menu/Keyboard Customization/Application and Timeline category what shortcuts the program

has set for Zoom In and Zoom Out...

shortcuts.JPG

Use of these shortcuts proceeds with a "tap by tap" of the shortcut key per movement, not a go to max or go to min

immediately. As written above, no keyboard modifier is indicated, such at Shift or Ctrl. And, I find that these shortcuts work

in the Expert workspace as well as the Quick workspace.

If no slider response to the shortcuts, then consider the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file as detailed in post 2.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...If one changes the Zoom Out keyboard shortcut from - to Ctrl+B, then, in the program, the mouse hover is showing Ctrl+B not - any

more. So, I am expecting that your look at the Keyboard Customization area will be OK. But worth the look just in case. Then please consider the

Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file deletion and, if necessary, deletion of the whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists. Also, if you have not updated from 13 to 13.1,

please do so using an opened project's Help Menu/Update.

• 5. Re: Expanding/contracting timeline shortcuts. "-" and "+" do not work.
                  edwardsylvester Level 1

Thanks ATR.

At home now and have checked again.

The "-" and "=" are working to expand and contract the timeline. I have a) been using the "minus sign" on the number pad of my keyboard, which doesn't do the same function as the "dash" symbol, and b) I found online references to using the "+" sign to expand the timeline, when actually it should be the "=".

So, now I know that both are working, how can I change these to "plus" and "minus" signs. I can't see the option in the Keyboard Customization.

thanks again

Ed

• 6. Re: Expanding/contracting timeline shortcuts. "-" and "+" do not work.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Ed

I do not think that we have a choice of + or = from that computer keyboard key. No + no matter how I tried with or without caps in effect when trying to establish + as the keyboard shortcut for Zoom In (under Edit Menu/Keyboard Customization/Application/Timeline.

I think that I would rather say with the as is, rather than go to shortcuts such as

p for plus reflecting Zoom In

m for minus reflecting Zoom Out

ATR