3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2015 9:41 AM by A.T. Romano

How can i open a .prel file in premiere elements 11?

NikanK

Hello Community

Yesterday i created a clip with premiere elements 11 and i saved it as .prel file.

Today i wanted to open this file to go on working on my clip but i couldn't open the .prel file.

When i try to open this file, my premiere elements 11 says that it doesn't support this kind of file or it's in a wrong codec.

Maybe it is because I relocated the different clips i used for my video after i saved my project

Can anyone help me out?

• 1. Re: How can i open a .prel file in premiere elements 11?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

nikank

Maybe it is because I relocated the different clips i used for my video after i saved my project

A very likely possibility that should be explored first. Please move the clips to exactly where they were when you

imported them into the project. When you import your source media into a project, all you get in the project are copies of the

originals. And, those copies need to trace back to the originals at the hard drive save location where

they were when first imported into the project.

Under the condition that you describe, even if the project did open, you should be greeted by several "Where is the file_____?" messages

that you would have to deal for the reconnects.

Other complications may be involved but let us start with the obvious one.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How can i open a .prel file in premiere elements 11?
            NikanK Level 1

Hello A.T.Romano,

thank you so much for your fast answer!

I moved the clips back to my desktop, where they were yesterday and it worked!

I don't know why i didn't try that before

Thanks a lot for helping me!

greetings,

NikanK

• 3. Re: How can i open a .prel file in premiere elements 11?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

nikank

Thanks for the reply with the great news of your success. Great job with the follow through.

Never hesitate to ask if you have questions or need clarification on your Premiere Elements

workflows.

Best wishes.

ATR