7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2015 11:13 AM by whsprague

To project onto a large screen

emmas44809771

Hi, I would like to be able to project my photo slideshow on a large screen in an art gallery. What is the best way to save my file to do this. My photos are large at around 6000x4000, however they are all horizontal. The show itself is only around 8 mins long. Thanks

• 1. Re: To project onto a large screen
          A.T. Romano Level 7

emmas

What  version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system including 32 or 64 bit? How many photos do you have? My guess-estimate is around 96 photos each with a duration of 5 seconds.

What do your computer resources look like - processor, clock speed, installed RAM, and free hard drive space? Are you in a PAL or NTSC area with regard to frame rate (29.97 vs 25)?

Your photos have a 3:2 frame aspect ratio and video is 4:3 or 16:9. After we work through the details to establish a full screen viewing, then

we could look into

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with a preset of MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

But, what is the player from which the video file will be projected...what are the specifications of the projector?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: To project onto a large screen
            emmas44809771 Level 1

Hi ATR, thank you so much for getting back to me! My computer is a MacMini. The display is 32 bit colour, the processor is an Intel Core i5 with a speed of 2.5GHz. There is an installed RAM with 4GB of memory. The computer operating system is an OSx10.10.2  The program is adobe premiere elements 13. I have 100 GB of free hard drive left out of a capacity of 499GB. Yes you are correct with around 90-100 photos with around 5 seconds each. I have actually made up 3 slideshows of different photos, one is 8 1/2 min, one is 6 1/2 mins, one is 8 mins long, they all have music with them. I am not sure what the player is the film will be projected from or the projector size as I have not approached a gallery yet, I just wanted to make sure I was well prepared and it could work before I approached any galleries. Thank you so much. Kind regards, Emma

• 3. Re: To project onto a large screen
              emmas44809771 Level 1

I forgot to say, I am in the U.k so that is PAL I think

• 4. Re: To project onto a large screen
                A.T. Romano Level 7

emmas

The information that we are going to have to coordinate

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 or Elements Organizer 13/13.1 for creating slideshow file for projecting on large screen.....

a. Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor Timeline content to produce the slideshow as a AVCHD.mp4 file (1920 x 1080p25), transitions, effects, no menus.

or

b. Elements Organizer 13/13.1 Slideshow Builder Slideshow with one of five possible themes for export as 720p or 1080p (AVCHD.mp4 file)...no menus.

Elements Organizer Help | Create slideshows

As far as I can tell that Elements Organizer Slideshow is only at 30 progressive frames per second. We cab discuss that later if necessary.

Either way, we need to start by knowing how many photos and the pixel dimensions and frame aspect ratio of each.

We know there will be between 90 to 100 photos. What is the pixel dimensions of each (width in pixels x height in pixels)? If the pixel dimensions are way over 1920 x 1080 16:9, then you may have to crop resize or resize them to 1920 x 1080 16:9 - depends on your computer resources and see Note.

Note: If the photos have a 3:2 or 4:3 frame aspect ratio, then you may have to crop resize to 16:9 1920 x 1080. If you have photos with 16:9 frame

aspect ratio, then you just resize. to 1920 x 1080.

If you use "a", your export will be

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p25

If you use "b", after you build the slideshow, then you export as 720p or 1080p file to computer hard drive.

The Computer Player and the Projector

I am not sure if you will have a projector available to you or whether you will have to purchase one on your own.

Connections, resolution, etc of the protector may force the modification of the file creation. If your file has a higher resolution

than the native resolution of the project, an automatic scaling may occur for example from 1920 x 1080 to 1280 x 720. As

talked about in this older article on projector native resolution and maximum resolution.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/maximum_resolution.htm

Often you will see the recommendation to match the native resolution of the projector with the resolution of the file being

projected onto your screen...reason to avoid the automatic scaling and possibly less clear viewing.

Once we get more information on the projector, we can decide whether to go for a Premiere Elements 1280 x 720 16:9 slideshow

or 1920 x 1080 16:9 slideshow or other.

If you can do a private mini test run with the equipment that you will be using before the actual showing, good idea.

Just some thoughts for now.

ATR

• 5. Re: To project onto a large screen
                  emmas44809771 Level 1

Hi ATR, thank you so much for all your information. In all the three films I imported the images from my documents where they are all at a pixel size of 6000x4000 approx (taken on a Nikon 5200 as raw files before converting to jpeg). Does this mean that they are all too large and it would be best to start from scratch and resize all the photographs and then import them again to make the films again?

Kind regards

Emma

• 6. Re: To project onto a large screen
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Emma

Thanks for the reply. Based on the information supplied so far, those 90 to 100 photos 6000 x 4000 pixels (3:2) need to be resized cropped

for a 16:9 project with frame size 1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080 both with frame aspect ratio of 16:9.

Many programs including Photoshop Elements Editor offer only batch resizing, but same offer batch resizing and cropping. I am suggesting that

you evaluate which of the following works best for you

a. Individual resizing cropping using the Photoshop Elements Editor Crop Tool set to Width 1920 px and Height 1080 px. Here you are sure

that the area of your original that you want shown is in the crop.

b. Batch cropping to 16:9 (from your 3:2) and to new size of 1920 x 1080 (from 6000 x 4000).

Creating and Using Photoshop (not Photoshop Elements) Action

How to Batch Crop and Resize images in Photoshop Nailed It Design

I have not tried this yet. But, I will go through an actual run through of what is described if you have questions after you read through the

link content.

Other.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated.

ATR

• 7. Re: To project onto a large screen
                      whsprague Level 4

emmas44809771 wrote:

Does this mean that they are all too large and it would be best to start from scratch and resize all the photographs and then import them again to make the films again?

Emma,

With due respect for ATR's advice, my experience is the opposite.  You may not have to resize at all.  My computer has a bit more memory than yours and is a PC, but it has not choked on any full size photos, including RAW.   I came to this conclusion by accident some time ago.  During a semi-automatic update for Photoshop Elements ACR version, I noticed that it reported updating two programs.  To my surprise, somewhere buried in Premier Elements ACR is buried out of view.  On a whim, I put a bunch of full size RAW images from a trip into Premier Elements and it worked.

Months later I found a topic here about resizing.  A lot of it was written by Bill Hunt and it was before ATR joined this forum after leaving Elements Village.   I was completely surprised to find out I was doing it all wrong.  Nor, could I find anything in the instruction book to say I was doing it wrong.

The resizing theory is based on computer "resources".  There may be risk of overloading.  Apparently it was very true when our computers were weaker.   Perhaps the only way to know for sure is with a quick test.  Start a "test" project, put in a hundred photos, including RAW files, all at once and drop them as a group to the timeline.  Do some random edititing and output the result.  If I'm right, you and your computer do not need resizing.  If your computer bogs down, overheats or crashes you may need to go back and resize them.

Good luck!

On edit and a few minutes later.....    I decided that since I was giving advice, I should try it on my own.  I put 90 RAW photos from a Panasonic GX7 into Premier Elements.  Each image file is about 19MB and 4592x3448.  They are not JPEGs, so that should be easier.  It took about 5 minutes for the computer and Premier Elements to create previews.  I "enlarged" the first one to fill the preview window in a 1980x1080p project.  Next I copied the adjustment and pasted to the entire timeline.   Premier Elements suggested a timeline render.  That took another 5 minutes.  Nothing froze or crashed.  Resizing on my computer is not necessary for other than "creative" effect.  

Bill