10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2015 3:12 PM by A.T. Romano

Is it possible to make a high res. DVD slide show that can be viewed with blue ray player/HDTV that retains high res. quality?

salrgrl

I have used PE 12 to make slide shows on DVD but the quality is just not there when I view on HDTV.  Is there a way to accomplish this using Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements 12?

• 1. Re: Is it possible to make a high res. DVD slide show that can be viewed with blue ray player/HDTV that retains high res. quality?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

salrgrl

What computer operating system for your Premiere Elements 12/12.1? Assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit for the moment.

Please refer to

Publish+Share

Disc

AVCHD disc (the disc being DVD)

then select from the following presets for the burn to....

AVCHDDVD.jpg

The AVCHD format on DVD disc does not require a Blu-ray burner to produced it, but it does require a Blu-ray

player with AVCHD DVD support or one of those multi media players with AVCHD DVD support for play back.

The display resolution for the product will be1920 x 1080.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Is it possible to make a high res. DVD slide show that can be viewed with blue ray player/HDTV that retains high res. quality?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

salrgrl

Add On...

Post 1 refers to a Premiere Elements 12/12.1 workflow and is not dealing with an Elements Organizer 12/12.1 Slide Show Editor slideshow going through the paces in the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 editor. If you want to involve the Elements Organizer 12/12.1 Slide Show Editor slideshow in this, I will have more comments.

ATR

• 3. Re: Is it possible to make a high res. DVD slide show that can be viewed with blue ray player/HDTV that retains high res. quality?
              salrgrl Level 1

I do want to involve Elements Organizer slide show editor.  Will wait for your comments, then give it a try.

Thanks for your reply.

• 4. Re: Is it possible to make a high res. DVD slide show that can be viewed with blue ray player/HDTV that retains high res. quality?
                whsprague Level 4

A.T. Romano wrote:

salrgrl

What computer operating system for your Premiere Elements 12/12.1? Assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit for the moment.

Please refer to

Publish+Share

Disc

AVCHD disc (the disc being DVD)

then select from the following presets for the burn to....

AVCHDDVD.jpg

The AVCHD format on DVD disc does not require a Blu-ray burner to produced it, but it does require a Blu-ray

player with AVCHD DVD support or one of those multi media players with AVCHD DVD support for play back.

The display resolution for the product will be1920 x 1080.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

ATR,

In the drop down box you are selecting 1920x1080i.  Why do you prefer that to 1920x1080p?

Thank you.

Bill

• 6. Re: Is it possible to make a high res. DVD slide show that can be viewed with blue ray player/HDTV that retains high res. quality?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

salrgrl

Thanks for the reply and confirmation that you are using Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7 64 bit.

The details posted were intended to give you an introductory overview of the choices.

Your particular choice of preset for the AVCHD DVD is up to you and your specific video needs and workflow and the smoothness of the results. The screenshot posted is an overview of choices which was captured as an overview with the Adobe default preset displaying (in my program NTSC setup) and not a recommendation for any particular preset - at this point in our discussion.

Keep in mind, that the presets that use interlaced frame rate "i", use the frame rate of 29.97 interlaced frames per second (NTSC setup) or

25 interlaced frames per second (PAL setup). And the the preset with the progressive frame rate "p", use the frame rate of 23.976 progressive frames per second.

Now that I know more about you wanting to use the Elements Organizer 12/12.1 in your slideshow workflow, I will factor that into the workflow that I would ask you to consider first time around. What is the format including frame rate and interlaced or progressive of any source video going into these slideshows or are you dealing with an all photos slideshow?

I will be posting details as soon as possible.

And, I would advise you to do the mini test run before the grand project. DVD-RW discs will work for that. Those discs will be accepted by the program with notice of erasing all prior content, thus allowing for the writing of the format on the disk.

ATR

• 7. Re: Is it possible to make a high res. DVD slide show that can be viewed with blue ray player/HDTV that retains high res. quality?
                    salrgrl Level 1

ATR,

I am currently dealing with all photos in my slideshows.

I did a test using Premiere Elements following your instructions.  I used a DVD-R.  Playback on an HDTV with Blu Ray player gave much better results.  (choosing AVCHD as opposed to DVD)

Since I begin with Elements Organizer and build my slide show there, then go to Premiere Elements to just burn the disc I am assuming that I will need further instructions from you.

Again, thank you for your help.

Salrgrl

• 8. Re: Is it possible to make a high res. DVD slide show that can be viewed with blue ray player/HDTV that retains high res. quality?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

salrgrl

Assuming that you are going to use the Elements Organizer Slideshow 12/12.1 as the sole builder of the slideshow and Premiere Elements 12/12.1 just for the burn to AVCHD on DVD disc....

1. Before you start, open Premiere Elements 12/12.1 to its Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In Change Settings, set the project preset to NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p@29.97. OK out of there.

In the New Project dialog that appears, rename the project and put a check mark "Force Selected Project Settings on This Project". OK out of there.

Minimize the program and do your Elements Organizer slideshow work.

1. Build your slideshow in the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor with photos with a 16:9 frame aspect ratio. If you can get away with pixel dimensions of over 1920 x 1080 and avoiding pre-cropping/resizing, then just make sure the frame aspect ratio = 16:9. If your photos are 3:2 or 4:3, then cropping to 16:9 before they get into the Elements Organizer. The question is whether the transfer from Elements Organizer to Premiere Elements is going to be influenced by photos oversized for the 1920 x 1080 16:9 project. If a problem, then we may have to back track and crop resize to 16:9 1920 x 1080. The photos are going to end up at 1920 x 1080 away in encoding.

slideshow pref.JPG

Please go with the Crop to Fit Slide as shown in the screenshot - will not compromise the goal here.

2. When you are ready to send the Elements Organizer Slideshow to Premiere Elements for the burn to AVCHD on DVD....

a. Save the slideshow as a Slide Show Project to the Elements Organizer.

b. In the Elements Organizer, select the slideshow's Slide Show Project thumbnail, and then Share Menu/Burn Video DVD/Blu-Ray.

c. When you do that, your slideshow will be in a Movie Menu/Publish+Share areas of the program which has the pre-set manually wanted project preset.

The workflow choice was made since your intention was to use Premiere Elements just for the burn to AVCHD on DVD disc.

3. Publish+Share

Disc

AVCHD

with Presets =

The presets is going to be the one that will give you the best results.

First, look at Presets = H.264 1920 x 1080pNTSC Dolby....the one with the 23.976 progressive frame rate.

Second, look at Presets = H.264 1920 x 1080iNTSC Dolby...the one with the 29.97 interlaced frame rate.

The first choice in this particular case was made to be consistent with the Premiere Elements project preset

that you set manually at the beginning to

NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p@29.97.

And, that was done since there are many reports that this project preset results in sharper images in the burn to products when

all photos are involved in the slideshow.

Please review and consider, and then we can decide if the above looks like it going to meet your expectations for viewing.

Thanks for considering the above.

ATR

• 9. Re: Is it possible to make a high res. DVD slide show that can be viewed with blue ray player/HDTV that retains high res. quality?
                        salrgrl Level 1

ATR,

I have followed your instructions through step 2b where I continue to encounter an error message:  Premiere Elements Debug Event.  Premiere Elements has encountered an error.  [..\..\src\Sequence\Sequence.cpp-2233].  Continue.  Then - Premiere Elements has stopped working.

I did not have this problem yesterday.  I guess I will keep trying and hopefully I'll be able to make a DVD.

I will let you know how I make out.

Salrgrl

• 10. Re: Is it possible to make a high res. DVD slide show that can be viewed with blue ray player/HDTV that retains high res. quality?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

salrgrl

Thanks for the update.

If step 2b continues to be a problem, then let us go

Elements Organizer 12 Slideshow Editor

Output

select output option = Edit with Premiere Elements Editor

That will put the slideshow in a non wmv video format on the Premiere Elements Edit area Timeline automatically.

It will not put you automatically in the Tools/Movie Menu/Publish+Share first. Hit Edit area first. With your intentions - do not want further edits, all you do, is,

if you want menus, go to Tools Menu/Movie Menu and, when that is done, then Publish+Share/ as per the rest of the instruction.

Still important to do the pre-setting of the Premiere Elements project preset before the Elements Organizer output as described prior to step 2b.

One of the perks of what I am suggesting now for use, if needed, is that it allows for the use of Break Apart Elements Organizer

Slideshow if you want to do further significant edits of the slideshow once it gets into the Premiere Elements project.

You did not, so that is why I described the other way out of Elements Organizer to Premiere Elements.

ATR