11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2015 5:20 PM by A.T. Romano

removing/minimizing shadows

adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hello,

I am interested in learning ways, in Adobe Premiere  Elements 10, to minimize the appearance of shadows. As an example, I am including a screenshot that has a shadow on the wall on the left hand side of the frame.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.,

red-conf-room.jpg

• 1. Re: removing/minimizing shadows
          whsprague Level 4

Filmmakers and videographers have dreamed of being able to do that.   I think I could make improvements in something like Photoshop or even Lightroom on individual frames.  But, there are too many frames in video to make it practical.  I don't think there is a solution, especially with consumer software like Premier Elements.

• 2. Re: removing/minimizing shadows
            A.T. Romano Level 7

adobebenewbie123

How many scenes like the one in your screenshot are in your production?

If there are only a few and only a few seconds every so often, you might consider a freeze frame that easily has the shadow removed

in Photoshop Elements 10 since you have Premiere Elements 10.

In this Edit with Photoshop Elements, I took out the most of the background behind Mr. White. If I wanted to spend time

I could have left whatever was behind Mr. White intact and just took out his shadow.

ShadowRemoval.JPG

But, back to Premiere Elements 10. That is an uphill road if the corrections are numerous. My top candidates for

minimal workout would be

Effects Masks with appropriate blur

Garbage Masks

Color Replace if background were more solid

Just some thoughts for now.

ATR

• 3. Re: removing/minimizing shadows
              adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Can you provide any guidance on what tools you used in Photoshop  to take out the background in the still while leaving Mr. White in tact.  Thank you very much for providing an example above! 

Getting back to the video portion, could there be any value in really darkening the scene to make the shadow less noticeable on a darker colored wall and perhaps shining a spotlight on the center so the people can still be seen?  I think it is really cool that you were able to completely remove the shadow in the still but in terms of the video, I would be very happy just being able to make the shadow a little less noticeable since taking it out would be such a formidable task.

• 4. Re: removing/minimizing shadows
                P1965 Level 1

This would work well with the clone tool ,.. and maybe a little spot brush...

• 5. Re: removing/minimizing shadows
                  whsprague Level 4

P1965 wrote:

This would work well with the clone tool ,.. and maybe a little spot brush...

I must be missing something.  Video is 24 to 60 frames every second.  So, a 10 second clip will have 240 to 600 images that need to each be corrected with the clone tool and spot brush?  The dream is that one day we'll have enough computer power for clone tools and spot brushes in NLEs, but for now, I think we are limited to finding them in image editors.

Then there is the complication of exporting all the frames one at a time to Photoshop.  And, they might even be interlaced.  Then when the cloning and healing are done,  you have to put them back in the movie! 

Using a freeze frame might get the shadows corrected, but then the lips won't be moving when the people talk.  Again, I'm probably missing something, but I don't get that either.

• 6. Re: removing/minimizing shadows
                    adobenewbie123 Level 1

Regarding the still, I was just curious how ATR removed that shadow, just to expand my general photoshop skills. (as he did a nice job with that) But yes,getting back to the issue in a video and not a still, I am now  wondering of  darkening the lighting and perhaps using a spotlight on the people might help make the shadows less noticeable by making the walls darker.  I'd  like to focus on ways of minimizing as opposed to removing since I have a better understanding of the scope of the shadow issue.

• 7. Re: removing/minimizing shadows
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Thanks for the follow up comments.

I used Photoshop Elements 10 and primarily the Clone Stamp Tool and zoomed in for closer detailing.

That tool was used for shadows and also in trying to maintain the drape look in the area where the shadow was on

a portion of the drape.

For the example that you presented, I do not see darkening the overall scene. Cropping/Zoom in Mr. White's area might

be something to look into.

ATR

• 8. Re: removing/minimizing shadows
                        whsprague Level 4

adobenewbie123 wrote:

.....getting back to the issue in a video and not a still, I am now  wondering of  darkening the lighting and perhaps using a spotlight on the people might help make the shadows less noticeable by making the walls darker.  I'd  like to focus on ways of minimizing as opposed to removing since I have a better understanding of the scope of the shadow issue.

I'm in the same boat in that I would like to learn a lot more about lighting, for both videography and photography.   For now, I'm randomly surfing YouTube!

• 9. Re: removing/minimizing shadows
                          whsprague Level 4

A.T. Romano wrote:

....... I used Photoshop Elements 10 and primarily the Clone Stamp Tool ....

ATR

Wouldn't be cool if that could be done in a video editor with entire clips? 

Bill

• 10. Re: removing/minimizing shadows
                            P1965 Level 1

whsprague

....my mistake, thought it was obvious that I was referring to a freeze frame or still image as above... although it would be nice to have that much free time to edit each frame of a video

• 11. Re: removing/minimizing shadows
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

You were right on target for specifically what adobenewbie 123 and I were discussing at the time under the context that we both understood.

Please refer to adobenewbie123 post numbered 6.

Thanks.

ATR