5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 3:48 AM by Fraser TMW

How to find form fields in a document

Fraser TMW

Hi,

I've been supplied a large document (InDesign CC) that contains form fields and buttons. I want to retain the buttons, add some more, etc. and remove all the form fields.

The problem is, I can't find all the form fields (without going through the whole document and clicking on every object). Is there any way to see a list of all the form fields in a document? Or an easy way of finding them?

Same question applies to buttons, I suppose - the document now has hundreds of buttons in it but I can't see any useful interface for finding them all, apart from clicking on them individually?

Any help on this appreciated!

Fraser

• 1. Re: How to find form fields in a document
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know of a search feature for highlighting form fields. However, it would be easy to create a PDF and open it in Adobe Acrobat or Reader. A colored bar will appear at the top of the document indicating there are form fields, and there is a button for highlighting them. Use this as a guide for finding the fields in your file.

• 2. Re: How to find form fields in a document
            Fraser TMW Level 1

Thanks for your response Steve.

I should have mentioned this too - I tried to use that feature in Acrobat, but it didn't highlight any fields in the entire document. This made me wonder whether you can have "hidden" fields, or whether you can use fields for some other purpose (i.e. something to do with buttons or other interactivity).

The only other thing I noticed in the InDesign document is that if I create a new button and then go to link it to a bookmarked location (destination), aside from all the bookmarks I've created e.g. "section 1", "section 2", etc., there are lots of other available destinations such as "Specific Content 1", "Specific Content 2", "Additional 1", "Additional 2", etc. These were also in the document when it was provided to me, but I don't know what they relate to or how to remove them. Not sure whether these might have anything to do with the fields that I can't find?

All very confusing...!

Fraser

• 3. Re: How to find form fields in a document
              Fraser TMW Level 1

Further to the above - the destinations I was referring to above were all hyperlinks to text anchors. The weird thing was though that I couldn't actually find the text anchors that they were linked to, even though they could still be used as links to navigate to various pages. I think this might be an issue that when you delete the text anchor or hyperlink, the destination remains. You can clean up unwanted destinations through the hyperlinks palette with "Delete Unused Destinations".

Still can't find those pesky form fields though...!

• 4. Re: How to find form fields in a document
                Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

I tried to use that feature in Acrobat, but it didn't highlight any fields in the entire document. This made me wonder whether you can have "hidden" fields

Form fields can be hidden. Selecting "Highlight Existing Fields" will not highlight a hidden form. In Acrobat, select Tools > Forms > Edit. This will bring up a list of all forms in document and the page of the form. By selecting form name in the list, the actual form in document will be selected, as opposed to just highlighted. This method will select hidden forms as well.

• 5. Re: How to find form fields in a document
                  Fraser TMW Level 1

That's a good tip - thanks Jeffrey - that helped a lot!