3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2015 11:27 AM by A.T. Romano

Editing .dvr-ms files in PE13.

Major Sparky

Since PE13 no longer caters for capturing DV material, I have resorted to using the WLXVideoAquireWizard.exe capture program that is part of Windows Live (as suggested in the PE 13 Help document). However, this produces a video file with the extension .dvr-ms that doesn't appear to be supported by PE13. How can I edit the video material in this file using PE13? Is there a codec that I can download, or do I have to convert it to MP4, or would simply changing the file extension to .mts work? Help appreciated.

• 1. Re: Editing .dvr-ms files in PE13.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Major Sparky

Are you doing DV or HDV data capture firewire workaround for Premiere Elements 13/13.1?

According to the following which is linked to the Adobe workaround for DV data capture

Import video from a videotape

What are you selecting .avi or wmv?

According to the following which is linked to the Adobe workaround for HDV data capture...

You wrote the you are inquiring about a .dvr.ms file as described below for the output when Import Video takes place as desribed

Import video from a videotape

This suggests that you are trying to do HDV capture according to the Adobe workarounds.

Can you edit your .dv.ms in Movie Maker?

If HDV data capture firewire is you goal, have you given thought to using HDVSplit for the task.

HDVSplit 0.77 beta

This older thread talks about converting dvr-ms

Re: Importing and Using DVR-MS Files in Premiere Elements

Please review and consider and then let me know if we are targeting your question.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Editing .dvr-ms files in PE13.
            Major Sparky Level 1

Many thanks A.T,

I'm using the HDV capture workaround - i.e. the second alternative option in this link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/removed-features-formats-elements.html

The latter capture method doesn't give you any pre-capture choices and produces dvrms files. I would have used the first (DV) capture option, but I cannot get the Autoplay dialog box to display when I turn on the DV camera.

To overcome the latter problem, I have tried the following:

In the Windows Control Panel's `Auto Play' Settings, I have selected `Use AutoPlay for all Media and Devices' and `Video Files' settings of: `Import Pictures and Videos using Windows' I have also tried disabling, reinstalling and updating the IEEE 1394 drivers (including using legacy drivers), all without success.

I don't want to go to the trouble of converting dvr-ms files, but no matter, the HDVSplit app works well enough to create editable .m2t files. Thanks for that.

In the meantime, any further suggestions of methods to get the autoplay dialog box to display would be welcome.

• 3. Re: Editing .dvr-ms files in PE13.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Major Sparky

The only way I am seeing the Adobe workarounds working for you is via the Adobe HDV workaround. In the end it looks like you end up editing in Movie Maker.

Movie Maker can give you a .wmv or .mp4 file. If that is viable, I would go with the .mp4 into Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders. But those extra steps do not seem to be what you prefer in your workflow. At this time, that is my impression of Adobe HDV workaround.

The HDVSplit seems ideal for your purposes in this situation. You will be putting MPEG2.m2t files, instead of MPEG2.mpg, on the Premiere Elements

Timeline using the program's Add Media/Files and Folders.

I do not do DV or HDV capture firewire otherwise I would do some exploration and experimentation for you. But, I will look around to see if I can

find more information. But right now, the solution seems to be HDVSplit.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR