6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 7:06 AM by Szalam

After Effects 2015 - What can we expect?

scattar Level 1

So after this Happy New Year! ~ and a question… | After Effects region of interest blog last year, I amongst others got rather excited about a whole years worth of development geared towards making AE faster. Since then though there has been little in the way of updates about what this actually might mean. I assume there will be some major changes coming to the backend including an overhaul of the multiprocessing situation and making more use of GPU power?

I wondered if Mr Kopriva might offer us a few teasers over what we might expect?

For one thing when buying new hardware it would be useful to know if we need to be buying more cores or faster cores ie xeon vs i7 and should we be investing in bigger GPUs?

• 1. Re: After Effects 2015 - What can we expect?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We'll be sharing a lot more information rather soon. Stay tuned.

• 2. Re: After Effects 2015 - What can we expect?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> For one thing when buying new hardware it would be useful to know if we need to be buying more cores or faster cores ie xeon vs i7 and should we be investing in bigger GPUs?

I'll go ahead and answer this part.

The big effort that we're in the middle of now has much more to do with multi-threading on the CPU than with processing on the GPU. If I were making a buying decision now, I'd focus on CPUs, RAM, and SSDs. Specific to CPUs, I can say that we will be making more and more use of multiple CPUs over the next couple of versions during this year.

• 3. Re: After Effects 2015 - What can we expect?
              poilp97290607

Something new about the mac pro (2013) and the graphic card AMD Firepro ? Because it's still slow ... i have to sell my computer vs a PC or to wait a bit ?

• 4. Re: After Effects 2015 - What can we expect?
                SiliconPixel Level 1

Hi Todd,

we spoke over a year ago about the project you've now been working on for performance improvements in AE. This upcoming version appears to be very light on performance improvements. Ok being able to change some attributes during live preview is good but there's no mention yet of core performance improvements etc that are so desperately needed.

It seems to me that these announced improvements are a bit 'fluffy' and that major improvements are still being worked on. Is that a true? Would we expect to see the majority of the work appearing later in the year?

any hints at what kind of improvements we might see?

all the best,

Paul.

• 5. Re: After Effects 2015 - What can we expect?
                  SiliconPixel Level 1

Todd - any thoughts on this that you can share?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: After Effects 2015 - What can we expect?
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I wouldn't call it "fluffy" at all! It's the first big step towards a much better future. Ignoring the fact that you can edit while a preview is running (which is super-cool), you no longer have to wait for AE to render something for you to interact with it. This is a HUGE workflow improvement. They've demonstrated it at NAB and other places and the whole interface feels faster and snappier because of it.

Since they're working really hard right now to produce this new version before it's no longer spring, Todd may not have time to answer, but, if he did, I'm sure he could offer some more information.