16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 8:45 AM by A.T. Romano

auto analayzer - what the hell???

elenah49342484 Level 1

After i installed Premiere Elements 13 (together with elements organizer) the CPU load is at 50-100% and my System disk is spammed with 30GB of data - and still not finished!!!

in the Task Manager i found a process called "Auto elements analyzer". What the hell is this there going on??? Adobe programms a process that

- runs in the Background and is NOT stopped, when the Programs are closed!

- produces tons of data

- produces immense CPU load

- has no Explanation for what it could or shoud do

what the the hell is that? i am really 1mm from deinstalling this crap!!!

• 1. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what's load 30 gigs of data, but it's sure not the Auto Analyzer. Even if you've got thousands of photos and videos on your hard drive, the catalog file the analyzer produces is only a few hundred megs at most.

I'm not sure what your computer specs are, but it by no means will put a load on your CPU. Assuming you've got a decent CPU.

When you first install the program, the Auto Analyzer will catalog your hard drive -- and that could be an overnight process. It also should be invisible, since the Analyzer only runs when you're not doing anything else on your computer. Once it's created its initial catalog, it will automatically run (invisibly) as you add new photos and videos. Might take all of 30 seconds.

If it annoys you, you can also shut it off in the Organizer's preferences, under Media Analyzer.

On the other hand, if your only intention was to announce to the world that you're "deinstalling this crap", please disregard any help we fellow users have to offer.

• 2. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
            elenah49342484 Level 1

I'm a litte bit familiar with technics - I don't write crap here!

I have a Core i5 4690, and in the task manager I could  clearly see that the process "elementsautoanalyzer.exe" caused this CPU load! It may be right, that the process was running at a low priority, but the point is the thing with the tons of Data:

what program/process ever it was - it was an Adobe program - the data was stored in directory: c:\program data\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Roaming  - by the time it produced 55GB I deinstalled everything!

what the hell shoud that be?

• 3. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
              whsprague Level 4

Having read about the "auto analyzer", I knew I would not find it useful for me.  So, I turned it off.  I also elected to turn off Organizer itself.  I prefer both Premier Elements and Photoshop Elements to run as "stand alone" programs.  As such, they are delightful.  You don't need Organizer or auto-analyzer for anything. 

As they say, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Bill

• 4. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
                A.T. Romano Level 7

elenah

If you are interested in revisiting the issue that you presented, I would be glad to offer some comments to try to figure out what was going on in the situation that you described. If you are interested, these are the matters that I would like to pursue

Is your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 running on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit? For now, I will assume Windows for what follows.

You wrote

what program/process ever it was - it was an Adobe program - the data was stored in directory: c:\program data\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Roaming  - by the time it produced 55GB I deinstalled everything!

a. There is no Roaming Folder in the Elements Organizer Folder in the path that you give. Why it is in your case, needs an explanation which we can seek. And, the Elements Organizer Folder in your path does not contain 55 GB of content that I have ever found.

I will not go into the pros and cons of the Elements Organizer at this time. But, I would advise you to disable it in the AutoAnalyzer options in Elements Organizer 13/13.1 Media-Analysis preferences found there Edit Menu/Preferences/Media-Analysis. I would probably disable everything under Media-Analysis. If and when you want to use AutoAnalzyer, then use the "on demand" way of right clicking the file's thumbnail in Project Assets and selecting Run AutoAnalyzer. My personal problem with AutoAnalyzer enabled is that it automatically splits video into clips when I do not want that. More on that later if interested.

My initial objective would be to find where these 55 GB of files are going and what properties these files have, such as at least file extension.

Also, what did you use for installation - installation disc from boxed packaging or installation files downloaded from Adobe?

For your consideration.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way. Just user to user.

• 5. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
                  elenah49342484 Level 1

thx.

1. running Win7/64

2. installed fron disk, thren updated to 13.1 via auto-updater

3. since the whole Adobe/Elements Folders (with all the 55GB) were still there after Deinstallation - i deleted it completely. i've seen the extentions, but i cant remember!

4. ADOBE should answer here cause they've programmed those wonderful wizzards!

• 6. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

elenah

Thanks for the reply. Appreciated.

The frequency of the Adobe presence in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum is not defined.

What you described is not "normal" to say the least, but, without further going into the details to which I

referred in the prior post, I see no way to grab hold on something for troubleshooting lead.

The offer still stands...if you decide to revisit this issue with another install of the program, I will go

over the details with you in order to figure out what is going on with those 55 GB of content....whether they were 55 GB of new files

or 55 GB representing duplicating, triplicating, and more to give total 55 GB for this unexplained content.

ATR

• 7. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
                      PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi,

Is this 55+ GB created in "%appdata%\Adobe\Common\" folder? If so, could you launch Premiere Elements 13, go to Edit -> Preferences -> Media tab change the slider value to 1GB or so and and click on the "Clean Now" button there? Does that reduce the 55+ GB folder size to under 1GB? This is just to understand if it is the Media Cache building up that is the issue. The CPU usage as ATR has already pointed out is for the Auto Analyzer to analyze the video content in the catalog. Once it is done, it will never take up CPU again, unless manually requested through a feature (Instant Movie, Smart Trim, Video Story, Auto Smart Tone or simply Right click from Project Bin and select "Run Auto Analyzer" etc.). Running in the background priority is to ensure that it does not hinder any user activity. If there is a process that needs CPU, Auto Analyzer will relinquish it immediately.

On the first usage of Auto Analyzer through any of the mentioned workflows in Premiere Elements 13, there is a message that pops up that should ask you if you want it to run in the background. You can safely say "Not Now" and check the "Do not show again" checkbox to ensure that Auto Analyzer never runs in the background. If you select "Auto Analyze" in this message box here, it will analyze the contents in the background.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 8. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
                        elenah49342484 Level 1

thanks for the answer! You write:

Is this 55+ GB created in "%appdata%\Adobe\Common\" folder? If so, could you launch Premiere Elements 13, go to Edit -> Preferences -> Media tab change the slider value to 1GB or so and and click on the "Clean Now" button there? Does that reduce the 55+ GB folder size to under 1GB? This is just to understand if it is the Media Cache building up that is the issue.

It's exactly this. But I have a little question here:

why don't YOU (Adobe Programmers) limit the size of that "media Cache" (for whatever it should be good for) by default to a value that doesn't spam the whole System disk???

• 9. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
                          PRE_help Adobe Employee

Thanks for confirming. Point taken.

While we understand that this is not the ideal behavior, we also have to take into consideration that this is the data that multiple Adobe products (Premiere Pro, Audition, Auto Analyzer etc.) could have potentially created over time. So deleting data that is not created by you vs deleting excess data is a balance that we are trying to achieve. Clearly we are not there yet.

We hope to do better in the next release and if we do, it will be because you wanted it

Regards,
                          Premiere Elements Team

• 10. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
                            elenah49342484 Level 1

havng understood or not what's the adavantage of a bigger or smaller "media Cache"...

...you cant sell products that behave like this directly after Installation!

I had to deinstall the program to prevent my System disk from being totally spammed, now i have to reinstall it - thats not fun!!!

• 11. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
                              elenah49342484 Level 1

ok, i've re-installed premiere.

in premiere preferencies the size of the "media Cache" Folder ist set to 5GB (what is ok in my case)

but the Thing is - as i started the organizer it started again producing "media Cache" data in large amounts (into the Folder specified above) and soon the Folder was again 20GB and growing...so it does't care abaout the Limit which is set in the premiere preferencies - which is clearly a bug!

I stopped the elements analyzer, no more media Cache data is produced

• 12. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Thank you for entering this thread. While you are here, could you clear an important point at an appropriate time so as not to interfere with the good discussion that you are having with elenah at the present time.

In the details for what you and elenah are exchanging, this has nothing to do with the Elements Organizer's AutoAnalzyer options. You can leave them on or off. What this has to do with is an inescapable process of Premiere Elements, that is, conforming audio files (cfa/pek) and conforming video files (mcdb). When you and elenah point to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media, you are pointing to the conformed video files.

Now here is my question to better understand for all of us what happens when the user click Clean Now at that location.

Set Media Cache Size

Default 5 GB

This is meaning to me

a. The file size of the Media Cache Folder in Common Folder is going to be whatever results from the program automatically piling conformed video files (mcdb) files there, be it 1,  5, 50, or 500 GB or whatever.

Cleaning up that pile up and stopping the pile up are different. We are talking user clean up here and not user being able to stop the conforming process.

b. For project automatic monthly, the Clean Now is triggered to reduced that Media Cache file size to 5 GB according to the preference set.

For user manual on demand, the Clean Now is triggered to reduced that Media Cache file size to 5 GB according to the preference set.

At no time is that 5 GB set going to limit the program from piling up as much as it wants/needs to in that Media Cache Folder in the Common Folder for its required video conforming.

Have I interpreted the above correctly or am I overlooking essential factors? In the above interpretation, I see no bug but rather the way the program is designed to deal with video file conforming. In elenah's case, I wonder where the Media Cache Folder video conforming files are tracing back to in the Elements Organizer or elsewhere to generate 50 GB of conformed video files.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
                                  elenah49342484 Level 1

The "elements Auto analyzer" produces this huge amount of data in the "Media Cache" Folder.

if i turn it off (by the preferences in the organizer) it stops producing data, if i turn it on again, data is produced again. 100% clear.

• 14. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

elenah

Thanks for the confirmation. I saw that you had posted that earlier. Are these all .mcdb files that you are seeing in the pile ups, even after you reinstalled the program?

But, you and PRE_help appear to have targeted the Media Cache Folder in the Common Folder in the path that you both agreed upon as the 55 GB pile up place. But, these are classically conformed video files in that location that you both are pointing to.  So, I was hoping, since PRE_help was in your thread, that we could get an Adobe explanation for how Elements Organizer and or one of its features (AutoAnalzyer) could be interacting with conforming video process. I am not seeing it.

ATR

• 15. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
                                      PRE_help Adobe Employee

HI ATR,

The Conforming process is common to Premiere Elements and the Elements Auto Analyzer processes. This is because they both use a common framework named the Mediacore which is in fact responsible for generating the Media Cache (Conformed, Indexed and pek files). If it helps, it is this same component that generates the Media Cache for Premiere Pro as well.

The Clear Media Cache option in Premiere Elements preference is only to clear the already generated files, and it does not stop the generation. Stopping is not possible because the both the apps (Premiere Elements and Auto Analyzer) need it. While we can stop Auto Analyzer from running in the background (This is possible as mentioned earlier from Premiere Elements, when Auto Analyzer is run from many of the possible workflows for the first time after installation), we cannot stop the Media cache from being generated from Premiere Elements.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 16. Re: auto analayzer - what the hell???
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

As always, thank you for the insights and support in learning more about Premiere Element workflows in order to help with the troubleshooting.

Appreciated.

ATR