7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 2:58 PM by bogiesan

Using an Illustrator drawing in AE

MJD Spudface

I just can't get my lovely illustrator map to display correctly in After effects.  It is a map of the UK railway system so consists of, what I think, is a lot of lines.

Below shows the difference between the Ai screen (left) and the Ae screen (right).

ai-vs-ae.JPG

Now the Ai zooms in and still looks fine at 6400% the Ae however never really looks right much. I've tried making the Ai image much much bigger (it has been scaled up from a roughly 3,000px high artboard to a 14,000px artboard) but this seemed to make little difference to AE.  I've fiddled with the continuously rasterize button function and I can use that to make it worse but not improve things.

I'm just wondering what point I am missing.

Ideally I'd like to make the map 3d so I can tilt the 'country' and have a camera flying around but given I can't even get a 2d map looking good I will settle to get that working.

Any suggestions boys and girls please?

Cheers,

Marcus

• 1. Re: Using an Illustrator drawing in AE
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm just wondering what point I am missing.

The continuous rasterize layer switch. Look it up in the help.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Using an Illustrator drawing in AE
            MJD Spudface Level 1

And now in reply to my own question it would seem you can't do this unless... you convert the Ai to Ae shapes... Lacks flexibility for modifying the map, but makes the quality spot on.

• 3. Re: Using an Illustrator drawing in AE
              MJD Spudface Level 1

The point I missed, and perhaps it's not explained in the original post, is that I just imported the Ai file and used that as a layer. AE does not seem to render Ai as well as it's own vector shapes. Now that I've converted the Ai to Ae shapes it is all fab.

The "continuous rasterize layer switch" when used on an Ai shape in a composition does not behave as well as on a Ae vector - it was an assumption I made that proved to be wrong. 

It will make other processes difficult along the line but for now I've sorted this problem.

• 4. Re: Using an Illustrator drawing in AE
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Continuously rasterize does work exactly and precisely if you turn it on. Shape Layers continuously rasterize automatically with vector files you have to turn the option on. There is no need to convert to shape layers unless you are going to use the shape animators. It's just a waste of time.

BTW, when you include a screenshot it is good to show the whole comp window and the properties of the layer you are having trouble with. For all we know you could have the zoom factor of your composition set to 400% or more and have CR turned off on the illustrator layer you're having problems with.

• 5. Re: Using an Illustrator drawing in AE
                  bogiesan Level 4

MJD Spudface wrote:

The "continuous rasterize layer switch" when used on an Ai shape in a composition does not behave as well as on a Ae vector - it was an assumption I made that proved to be wrong.

It will make other processes difficult along the line but for now I've sorted this problem.

This should not be the case at all.

CR really is the best way to use AI stuff in AE.

Without looking over your shoulder, it's impossible to really tell what the challenge is for your production methods. But you can research continuous rasterization thoroughly and quickly, it's been the only way to deal with vector art in AE for decades, and it's been totally perfected for just as long.

Now, it's easy to assume your original map illustration is the problem. Scaling up AI for AE is not necessary since the CR button will do that for you with any vector artwork. Whatever you do, video is video and it's made up of pixels. There's no way to animate vectors and have them come out as clean lines. they're being rasterized to little squares. 

• 6. Re: Using an Illustrator drawing in AE
                    MJD Spudface Level 1

Hi,

The problems would be when I wanted to modify the map, it is an evolving map as I edit minute details in areas I require to show in detail.  I am kind of trying to zoom (like one would on google maps) from country level right down to street level detail from the same drawing.

However, I think I have discovered my problem (other than I am a bit of an idiot!).....

The continuous rasterize layer switch does seem to do the trick. I just didn't have it switched on in ALL the compositions.  My map comes in as an AI sized comp (huge), so that I can fade in and out laters (routes on the network) as required.  This composition is then placed within another and zoomed accordingly. Not quite got 3d camera moves yet, but that's is stage two.

I've bashed out a quick draft in order to explain what I've done so that in the future when this thread is found by the search bots others will see it could be done:
                    draft ai zoom in - YouTube
                    The number is the zoom factor in '000s (25%> 25,000%)

Thanks to all for their input.

Marcus

• 7. Re: Using an Illustrator drawing in AE
                      bogiesan Level 4

ah, nested comps.

Thanks for continuing the thread with your experience and updates. Hardly anyone ever does that and it's a big help to anyone with similar issues.