6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2015 12:01 PM by whsprague

What is normalize dialog

jeanh2195095 Level 1

I am still learning the program and have 2 questions: 1. What is normalize dialog? and 2. What does auto smart tone learning mean? I am using Premier Elements 12.

Many thanks folks

• 1. Re: What is normalize dialog
          whsprague Level 4

The audio can come from a variety of sources.  The levels may not match well.  Think of watching a TV show and an ad comes on that is too loud.  Normalizing is the process of adjusting levels to try and make the quiet parts loud enough and the loud parts not too loud when going from clip to clip.

From the PrE 13 book:  "While using the Auto Smart Tone feature, you can select the Learn from this Correction check box. When you select the checkbox, the feature keeps learning from your editing actions on your videos. Each time you use the feature on a video, it places the correction (the controller) on the basis of what corrections you have applied to previous videos. The more videos you correct tonally through this feature, the more intelligent it becomes. The feature uses this learning to provide you with similar corrections on videos of the same type."

• 2. Re: What is normalize dialog
            A.T. Romano Level 7

jeanh

Some supplemental information for your consideration

The path to the Normalize option in your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 (assumed on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit)

After you select/highlight the audio clip

Clip Menu

Audio Options

Audio Gain

and, after you click on Audio Gain, the Clip Gain dialog comes up, and this dialog includes the Normalize button.

The following Adobe document describes "Normalize" and gives the details of how to adjust the input level of the clips with this option.

.Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Mixing audio and adjusting volume

Also, if you right click the Timeline audio clip

from the pop up menu, click on

Audio Gain

to have the Clip Gain dialog appear

Clip Gain dialog view

Clip Gain.JPG

Please let us know if that works and what impact it had on your Timeline audio clips as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: What is normalize dialog
              jeanh2195095 Level 1

Thank you so much for that advice. I have printed it out so that I can follow your in depth information.

I am 67 and finding some of the terminology difficult to get to grips with. Sorry to be such an idiot!

• 4. Re: What is normalize dialog
                jeanh2195095 Level 1

Thank you so much for that explanation, sounds good to me so will have a go.

I have been learning this program over the winter months, but some of the terminology, I struggle with as I am a silver surfer

trying to keep those little grey cells working...

• 5. Re: What is normalize dialog
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jeanh

Thanks for the reply.

We all have navigated that Premiere Elements learning curve.

If you have difficulty with any of the suggestions and need clarification on anything written, please never

hesitate to ask. And, all further clarification is welcomed as well. The important matter is that you move

forward with Premiere Elements projects for all to welcome and enjoy.

Exploration and experimentation are good tools and doing the mini test runs before the grand project also

is important.

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: What is normalize dialog
                    whsprague Level 4

jeanh2195095 wrote:

Thank you so much for that advice. I have printed it out so that I can follow your in depth information.

I am 67 and finding some of the terminology difficult to get to grips with. Sorry to be such an idiot!

I'm ahead of you by a year and have found this "new fangled" video stuff fascinating.

Bill