5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2015 11:04 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 13 - .MOV crash!

tomp50389278

When I try to import files I've filmed on my iPod (.MOV) to Premiere Elements 13, it crashes! - no error message. Re-opening Premiere then is impossible unless I restart my PC. Is this a file type issue? Is there a better way to import my iPod clips other than copying & pasting from the DCIM folder? Help appreciated! Thanks,

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - .MOV crash!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

tomp

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on? Have you updates 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Update?

What iPod do you have...iPod Touch 4th Generation or higher?

I have iPodTouch 4th geneation (H.264.mov 1280 x 720 @ 24 progressive frames per second). And, I am not having problems with it in version 13 or earlier. What are your video specifications aside from your .mov file extension?

Some major starting questions...

1. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements?

2. Are you running the program as Administrator?

3. Are your particular iPod video recorded with a variable frame rate?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - .MOV crash!
            tomp50389278 Level 1

Hi, thank you very much for the reply!

I have an iPod 5th Gen... 1080x1920 @ 30fps video. My op.system is Windows 8.1, and yes I did update to PremElements 13.1.

As to the 'opening as administrator', is this where you do Shift+Ctrl+Alt to open? If so, no.

Also, I have discovered that when I try to open the folder the vids are stored in in Windows, Windows just closes the folder and takes me back to desktop - it clearly doesn't like the format. I tried reimporting multiple times... no luck! Could this be because of the way I was importing them onto my PC in the 1st place, do you know? (I do it by just copying & pasting the raw clips from inside DCIM) - perhaps there is a better way of importing?

Also, my .MOVs are set to open as default in the new Windows 8 app 'Video' - do you know if this is right?

(I tried importing the clips in other vid. editing software like Sony V, but that doesn't like it either. The thing with PremE is that it doesn't re-open after crashing without restarting!)

Once again, thanks for your response - a lot easier to ask on the forums than trying to get the Adobe customer service to 'live chat'!

Tom

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - .MOV crash!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

Thanks for the reply.

The keys here

a. You have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer.

https://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

This applies to you even if you are running Windows 8.1 64 bit.

b. You want to be running Premiere Elements from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

See Control Panel/User Accounts and Family Safety/User Accounts and Manage other Accounts which

should show you the accounts.....Look for Name/Local Account/Administrator for the account that you are using.

That applies to QuickTime as well as Premiere Elements.

c. Import your files to a hard drive save location. Then, import them into the Premiere Elements Expert

workspace using Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag

the file to the Timeline. (There is a drag and drop way, but let us first make sure we can do it as I have described.)

I do not think that the following has anything to do with this current matter. All that this is telling me is when you open a file

with the .mov file extension it is set to open to the Video app of your computer, provided the Video app supports the .mov file

that you have.

Also, my .MOVs are set to open as default in the new Windows 8 app 'Video' - do you know if this is right?

Please let me know if you are OK with the above. If not, please do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - .MOV crash!
                tomp50389278 Level 1

Hi,

Once again thank you so much for the support!

In answer to your suggestions...

a) Yes, I un-installed and re-installed QuickTime

b) Yes, I have checked and I am.

c) Sorry- I think I mis-worded my previous message. When I said about there being better ways of importing, I meant to my PC first and not directly into PremElements. I was already copying & pasting them to my hard drive, and from there importing them into PremElements.

I am still puzzled as these clips are still not working. Like I said, opening them in Windows Explorer crashes as well, so it must be down to the raw files. I have tried filming multiple things on different days with my iPod (who's software is up-to-date) and my PC still doesn't like playing them! I have had past experience editing clips from this exact iPod on software like Final Cut Pro on a Mac, and had no issues. Of course, I could import them into Final Cut on my Mac, export them as a different file time and then re-import them on my PC, but surely there's a better way! This switch-over to PC seems to have caused some sort of PC vs Apple compatibility issue.

Like I said, I really appreciate the help - don't worry if you have no more ideas! I've been fiddling with the file types & import methods for a while now and found no solution!

Do you know if there is some type of plug-in for QuickTime my PC might not have that it needs to open .MOV? - if not don't worry!

Thanks again, Tom

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - .MOV crash!
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

Please consider downloading and installing the free codec utility named GSpot and determine what it shows for your .mov video file's

Video Name, Codec, Status as well as Audio Name, Status. Any other details in that readout would also be helpful such as

frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio.

Can you import your iPod Touch (5th Generation) .mov into iTunes and play it back from there? We can talk about QuickTime next time.

But for now, please work with the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements and you continue to

run both programs as administrator.

Let us see what leads we can get for that.

I am not sure if a variable rather than a constant frame rate used in the recordings could be creating problems for the computer players

as well as Premiere Elements. If that is a possibility, we could explore taking the .mov into HandBrake and converting it into H.264.mp4 with a

constant rather than variable frame rate.

https://handbrake.fr/

Instructions to come if needed.

ATR