@Steve – you are totally clear what you are doing and what you like to do.
But I fear an automatic setting that is creating the page size according to an asset's size does not exist right now.
I can change the size of a new document beforehand, if no document is open and create a new size in the document's properties dialog with the keyboard shortcut alt + cmd + p (in my German InDesign on Mac OSX 10.7.5). But you have to know in advance what size that should be.
Example: If I chose A3 instead of A4 (my default) when no document is open and double click an asset in a CC Library the asset will be placed in a one page document sized A3.
1. Changing the size (no document is open) in my German UI of InDesign CC-2014.2:
2. Double click and the result is according to the settings I made:
@Steve – what is your exact OS version you and your colleagues are working with?
Is it a mix of Windows and Mac OS versions? A mix of different OS versions even if on the same platform?
I'm asking, because I see the possibility to script what you want by ExtendScript. If it will entirely fit your workflow is a different point.
Also important: Is your workgroup on one CC Group license?
That proposed ExtendScript would work on two assumptions:
1. The active document is saved to a name without the suffix *.indd
2. The active document is saved to a temp directory/folder with the name: "TemporaryItems"
And: It would run as a startup script, that would exploit the AFTER_SAVE event of a document that the app can listen to.
If working with a CC Group license, I'm absolutely not sure where all the temp documents will go. Maybe they are stored somewhere on s server.
Also: I think, the current incarnation of CC Libraries is not optimized for workgroups on mixed OS environments. Especially if you are working with placed images as assets in CC Libraries. But I could be wrong, of course. I do not own a group license…
After going more into detail with my scripting idea, I had to realize, that:
1. AFTER_SAVE event will not work for some reasons
2. The menu item Save As is grayed out, if you double-click on an asset and want to save the temp document with a different name.
Why is it grayed out?
And if it is a feature, why is it a feature?
Save As Copy is available.
@Steve – can you see this on your system as well?