• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do the Adobe licenses work for television use?

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interested in using Franklin Gothic Extra Condensed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

I am assuming that you are referring only to Franklin Gothic Extra Condensed fonts sourced directly from Adobe. Every font foundry/vendor has its own licensing requirements.

In the “not so good-old-days” of television, television use of a font meant strictly static use - i.e. rendering text to a raster for either live broadcast or video recording. The fonts themselves are not broadcast or stored in the video recording. Such usage is consistent with the licensing of fonts from Adobe with no furthe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am assuming that you are referring only to Franklin Gothic Extra Condensed fonts sourced directly from Adobe. Every font foundry/vendor has its own licensing requirements.

In the “not so good-old-days” of television, television use of a font meant strictly static use - i.e. rendering text to a raster for either live broadcast or video recording. The fonts themselves are not broadcast or stored in the video recording. Such usage is consistent with the licensing of fonts from Adobe with no further restrictions or licensing/royalty payments.

Where there is a problem is where you are attempting to use a font on television comparable to use of a “web font” where the font is downloaded to a set top box for dynamic use in creating variable messages and/or users responses to same as well as for interactive television. Such use is not allowed with Adobe's standard font licenses.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response. My use would be in secondary graphics for a television series, such as lowerthirds. Not for interactive television.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My use would be in secondary graphics for a television series, such as lowerthirds. Not for interactive television.

Then you should be good to go with fonts sourced from Adobe.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines