8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2015 5:28 AM by Yammer

Camera Raw and Nikon d750

Diana Jeanne

I've been working with Nikon for several months now trying to find out why I cannot open up their NEF files. I even sent my camera back to their repair facility for the recall on the D750 and they fixed that problem but ignored all my documentation on the problem of not being able to process NEF files in Photoshop or Nikon Capture NXD. Capture NXD would convert my files into tiny 3x5 inch photos. Well, it turns out that it was Nikon Transfer that was corrupting my files during the transfer. Today  saw that you suggested using Bridge to download my files from the camera and I did and now it works just fine! Thank you so much and I wish you had suggested that months ago. I am using CS6.

• 1. Re: Camera Raw and Nikon d750
          Level 5

No clue as to whom you're thanking. 

You are not addressing Adobe here in these user forums.  We are individual users like you.

Even Adobe staff who drop by do so as volunteers, on their own time and dime.

• 2. Re: Camera Raw and Nikon d750
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Perhaps if you had asked about that problem months ago you would have received an answer months ago. You cannot expect Adobe to concern themselves with compatibility with other software from other companies. There would be a list of issues to be concerned with that could possibly fill a book.

• 3. Re: Camera Raw and Nikon d750
              Diana Jeanne Level 1

Two not very kind, and not very helpful responses.

First of all, I only expect Adobe to say when they are NOT going to support a new camera or older versions of Photoshop so we are not surprised and frustrated and then we can make better choices. Just LET US KNOW. If they are only going to update Photoshop CC in the future, that's fine, just let us know. And I searched this site many times and could not find an answer to my problem so I thought it was my camera. The camera is fine, it was Nikon's Transfer software that was the problem and they would not admit it.

• 4. Re: Camera Raw and Nikon d750

I didn't mean to seem so unhelpful. So far, as far as updates are concerned, Photoshop CS6 will not be receiving any updates. Photoshop CS6 so far has been able to utilize all Camera Raw updates, even the most recent one. However, when using Camera Raw with Photoshop CS6, any new features will not be available. It will only be updated as far as support for new cameras. The feature set will not change.

Photoshop CC will be updated, and those who subscribe to the creative cloud will receive those updates as part of their subscription. As far as both Lightroom and Camera Raw are concerned, once a new version or update has been released there will be no more additional camera support. It will require an update of Camera Raw or Lightroom in order to gain support for new cameras. The only version of Lightroom being supported at this time is Lightroom 5. When Lightroom 6 is eventually released, it will then be the supported version of Lightroom. The currently supported  release of Camera Raw is version 8.7.1.

If you purchase a camera sometime in the future that is not supported by your version of Camera Raw, and you are not interested in what ever it takes to get it updated, then Adobe provides a free DNG converter that will enable you to create digital negative (DNG) copies that contain the original raw data. These DNG files can be used with older versions of Camera Raw. Just be aware that the raw file must also be supported by Camera Raw and Lightroom before a DNG converter will be released that is capable of converting the files from the new camera.

• 5. Re: Camera Raw and Nikon d750
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe does support the D750 camera with CS6.

Using Nikon's obsolete Nikon Transfer program (from your previous camera, apparently) corrupted the files (from your new camera).

Not using the obsolete Nikon Transfer made new photos work fine.

How is any of that related to Adobe doing something wrong or not telling you something long ago?

• 6. Re: Camera Raw and Nikon d750
                    Level 5

Diana Jeanne wrote:

…I only expect Adobe to say…

Well, I repeat: we are NOT Adobe.

Diana Jeanne wrote:

Two not very kind, and not very helpful responses

As always, if you are not happy with the responses you get here in the Adobe user forums, you're entitled to your money back: $0.00

Just a clarification in general:

BOILERPLATE TEXT extracted from the FAQ:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/375816?tstart=0

Do not be abusive or aggressive in your tone

An aggressive, demanding, accusatory or abusive sounding post will often evoke an aggressive or abusive and unhelpful reply.

Remember, you are not addressing Adobe here in the user forums.  You are requesting help from volunteers users just like you who give their time free of charge. No one has any obligation to answer your questions.

• 7. Re: Camera Raw and Nikon d750

I really don't see the need to scream at this user. Apparently there are some frustrations, and we don't seem to be helping.

• 8. Re: Camera Raw and Nikon d750
                        Yammer Level 4

Diana Jeanne wrote:

Two not very kind, and not very helpful responses.

First of all, I only expect Adobe to say when they are NOT going to support a new camera or older versions of Photoshop so we are not surprised and frustrated and then we can make better choices. Just LET US KNOW. If they are only going to update Photoshop CC in the future, that's fine, just let us know. And I searched this site many times and could not find an answer to my problem so I thought it was my camera. The camera is fine, it was Nikon's Transfer software that was the problem and they would not admit it.

The problem with old versions of Nikon Transfer and newer Nikon cameras has been covered many times in this forum over the last few years. But you have my sympathy in trying to find the right answers with the wrong search terms. It's not always easy, and this forum software can be slow.

As has already been said, there is no official Adobe presence in this forum, although some staff come in here informally on occasion (less so these days).

It's always been Adobe's policy that the on-sale products receive free updates, whilst retired versions do not. As far as camera support goes, Adobe provides a free utility called DNG Converter which enables users of retired products to open raw files from newer cameras. CS6 is still current.