2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2007 8:41 AM by Scott_Tabar

Flex Builder 2 corrupting Eclipse 3.2.1

Scott_Tabar

Flex Builder 2 has some issues with Eclipse 3.2.1. I was working with the trial version, so maybe the full version does not exhibit these same problems, but if that is the case, then it is disappointing that adobe is trying to support two separate products instead of trying to resolve issues.

The largest issue with the Flex Builder 2 plugin for eclipse is that if you have a flex project in the same workspace as other projects (like dynamic Java projects) the flex builder 2 will try to incorporate those projects in to the flex project when you do a build or a clean only on that specific flex project. As a result, eclipse consumes enormous amounts of memory that even with 2 gigs allocated to the heap, it runs in to out of memory exceptions frequently and the stability of eclipse has degraded significantly since I installed this product! The flex projects that I had loaded were some of the examples dealing with SpringGraph so I would not consider them as being large or complex. When there is a build occuring on just a Flex Project, it SHOULD HAVE NO BUSINESS even scanning other non-related projects regardless as to if they are in the same workspace!!!

I am not too impressed with flex's interface with eclipse on the memory, the instability it introduced to eclipse, or how SpringGraph handles large graphs, so I did not pursue getting a license for future development. I also felt that the asking price for the Flex Builder 2 is steep for what you get and its maturity level. As such, when the license expired, Adobe had the nerve to disable core functionality within Eclipse!!! For example, it would not allow a CSS document to be opened in the CSS Editor! It Hijacked the basic Eclipse functionality!!!

I am very disappointed in how the Flex Builder 2 plugin for Eclipse does not play friendly!

But at least it does allow itself to be disabled. I am grateful for at least that level of accepted behavior.
        • 1. Re: Flex Builder 2 corrupting Eclipse 3.2.1
          cluebcke
          I'm no Adobe apologist (check here or flexcoders) but there a couple of things you might have missed. I'll note to begin with that I've been using FlexBuilder 2.0 and 2.0.1 with Eclipse 3.2.1 and, while I have the occasional issue with FlexBuilder itself, have never noticed it interfering in any way with other Eclipse operations. I would also suggest that there would be a tremendous amount of screaming if FlexBuilder were functionally incompatible with Eclipse 3.2.1, so you may want to keep your mind open to the possibility that you have one or more local configuration issues.

quote:

I was working with the trial version, so maybe the full version does not exhibit these same problems

To my knowledge the only difference in the trial version is that it expires. All you have to do to convert the trial to the full version is enter a license key. I believe the trial is fully functional.

quote:

The largest issue with the Flex Builder 2 plugin for eclipse is that if you have a flex project in the same workspace as other projects (like dynamic Java projects) the flex builder 2 will try to incorporate those projects in to the flex project when you do a build or a clean only on that specific flex project.

Can you be more precise with what you mean by "incorporate"? Unless you select "build all" it shouldn't be building everything, and unless you select "Clean all projects" it shouldn't be cleaning everything. Your other projects shouldn't be reference by your Flex project unless they're configured as project dependencies (listed as projects under your own project's build path dialog).

quote:

it runs in to out of memory exceptions frequently

What's your -Xmx for Eclipse? Mine's 768m; I would suggest 512m as an absolute minimum. But whatever it is, it'll be helped by configuring Eclipse not to build other projects.

quote:

For example, it would not allow a CSS document to be opened in the CSS Editor! It Hijacked the basic Eclipse functionality!!!

FlexBuilder associates .css files with it's own CSS editor upon installation. You can change this at any time. It's not preventing anything; CSS files are now associated with an editor that is not available. Of course you need to disable the plugin, or otherwise manually change the order of editors in the file type association. Perhaps it would be nice if FB de-associated itself with all of those file types, but it's not preventing you from doing anything. You just need to configure Eclipse properly; don't expect it to run right with an expired license for a perspective that has a bunch of file types associated with it.

To a certain extent I feel your pain, but I suspect (though I may well be wrong) that the majority of your issues are caused by misconfiguration and not basic flaws in the product itself; otherwise, like I said, there would be a screaming chorus of people reporting the same problems, and there simply isn't.

Good luck.
          • 2. Re: Flex Builder 2 corrupting Eclipse 3.2.1
            Scott_Tabar Level 1
            Cluebcke, thanks for the reply!

I am using a compaq nx7010 laptop with 2 gigs ram, 60 gig hd, eclipse is set to utilize a minimum of 512 megs and a maximum of 1540 megs for the heap space. Virtual memory is set to a max of 4092 megs. Fairly generous I would assume. I doubt it was a configuration issue, but hey, I’m open to learning and the best lessons are through mistakes! ;-)

Sorry, I was being a bit sarcastic when I mentioned that perhaps the issues were related to the free trial version knowingly perfectly well that in fact there is no difference between the two products. But I guess I was also conceding a possible out for Flex too. Hmm...

To clarify my comment about aggressively compiling against other projects:
            1) I had about 4 demos loaded in to a workspace (269 files, 82 folders, and 7.2 megs including my 1 test project as mentioned in item 4)
            2) I had about 7 large Java projects loaded in to the same workspace
            3) Total workspace size was about 22,000+ files and 1600+ megs, give or take a fair number either way.
            4) I was making changes to a simple flex project based upon a SpringGraph demo
            5) I choose to manually build only the small flex project I was working on so as to replace all the generated files. NOTE: Might have been a clean, but only on that one flex project and NOT the whole work space. It takes too long to rebuild all of my other Java projects so that option has been unchecked for quite a while.
            6) What I saw in the Eclipse progress window was a list of files within my flex project getting reconstructed, and then it started to scan through the other projects too. All of their names and resources were flashed within that window.
            7) When finished with the build of the ONE flex project, the Java heap was basically gone. Starting a TomCat server would cause an out of memory exception. Recall I have allocated 1.5 gigs for the heap.
            8) Checking the other Java projects and Flex projects, the timestamps on the objects did not reflect that they were just rebuilt. They were untouched. Proof that I did not perform a build or a clean over the whole workspace.

I agree with you whole heartedly that unless I explicitly select “build all” or “clean all” it should not touch other projects in anyway. But it did.

As far as the issue with the CSS editor, I understand and accept your point. Perhaps as a friendly suggestion, when the trial expires, the plugin should uninstall itself. This may be very doable, and still have the functionality of a reminder and reactivation upon registration if Flex Builder actually had a second plugin called something like "FlexBuilder Registration" which would "intercept" attempts to edit and utilize the FlexBuilder only functionality so an informative message could be displayed. The benefit would be that normal functionality for non-flex resources such as CSS would return to normal.

Anyway, as I stated before, I was not too impressed with performance of large graphs. What I consider to be large would be on the magnitude of 20,000 to 100,000+. It would need to display just about all nodes, or at lease an abstract relationship of those nodes rolled up to a higher level. I realize that SpringGraph is not ideal for those situations to begin with, but I was exploring the idea of writing other plugins to deal with other graphing formats.

I guess to be fair to Flex in general, I should probably ask a general question of how well does Flex deal with large data sets that need to be resident and the manipulations of those data sets?

Thanks for your time,

Scott Tabar